Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • iPhone WiFi Question
  • Marmite
    Free Member

Like a kid in a sweet shop last night with the new iPhone, just starting into the stuff available, though smile went as i am having problems connecting to my home wireless.

I am with Sky and it may just be that it a crap router? the phone sees the network and I have a card with the SSID and the Network ID on it, so that is what I enter just to be told ‘Unable to Join Network’ so maybe the O is an 0 so try that, same message, but not telling me why.

Anyone use this combination (slim chance i know) or anyone any ideas what is up, do i need to find some other number to enter? If so where from.

I’ll try Sky later but will leave that until I have to if possible, not keen on holding all afternoon!

Any help greatfully received.

northshoreniall

Had similar issues, took few attempts to get going. Think sky router is pants. Are you using the middle set of letters from the set of three in the bottom of router? Not at home so cant look to see what called, but are three under routr and is middle row, ours is i think 6 letters.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Have you secured your wireless? If you have you will need to consider that. If you’ve locked down MAC addresses, you’ll need to as steh MAC of the phone

Marmite
    Free Member

Northshore, yes middle set of letters…

Maybe i’ll try and reset the router and keep trying, as long as I know that is the right number to be using.

Or maybe i could get a better router? Can you just buy one and plug it in so to speak? (making a note of current settings of course first!)

Piedi, I have done nothing to the wireless as the desktop is using a cable..

iamsporticus
    Free Member

sorry for the thread crash but if you have 3G whats the point of wifi?
    Especially as 3G use is uncapped on most of the contracts

Sure I appreciate its a bit quicker, possibly, but why would I want to configure my iPhone to work at outside wifi hotspots when I can just boot Safari or my email client and do it on 3G?

I ask as having played with a mates iPhone recently it looks totally sweet
    I found 3G browsing to be more than adequate so whats the point?

Or am I missing something?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

if you have 3G whats the point of wifi

So you can access your other PCs when at home is one reason

robdob
    Free Member

And the wi-fi is miiiiiles faster than 3G.

Filthy
    Free Member

Mine did that with sky broadband, worked the 3rd time when I put the password in CAPITALS, but I suppose you’ve already tried that.

yoshimi

because wifi is way faster plus you can only access certain sites with wifi – freecaster for example

GrahamS

You can only get BBC iPlayer across WiFi on the iPhone.

WiFi is much faster and doesn’t suck the battery as fast as 3G either (which is really heavy on the battery). It’s not like you have to configure it every time. Once it knows about a WiFi setup it will connect automatically or silently switch to 3G if it can’t find one.

geoffj

…and uncapped actually means 200mb on most iPhone contracts. Go over that and you are in contravention of the fair use policy….

EDIT – Apologies, thats nonsense!

Marmite
    Free Member

Filthy, you’re a genious, and I am obviously very DUMB, don’t think I had caps lock on!!!

3G is fine and i’ll happily use that outside, but would prefer to get things to work as they should..

Goes away to corner to hang head in shame while Filthy laughs and points……. 😳

GrahamS

…and uncapped actually means 200mb on most iPhone contracts. Go over that and you are in contravention of the fair use policy….

No mention of that on the O2 site and a quick Google suggests O2 scrapped the 200Mb limit in Nov 2007

geoffj

GrahamS – good effort. When I bought mine in December, the CPW numpties told me that the 200mb cap was still their – should have known better really 😳

STATO
    Free Member

there are a few reasons that WiFi is good, a few of which are mentioned above. Others include patchy 3G coverage, poor 3G coverage in some buildings and also when your abroad 3G use is very expensive over other networks, so WiFi is your only choice if you dont want a big bill. I used the Apple stores free WiFi when i was in Sydney last week :0). Also, free WiFi is available on most UK trains is good as 3G signal can be unstable when travelling due to different masts and 3G coverage.

GrahamS

Also, free WiFi is available on most UK trains

Yep, excellent for long train journeys.
    O2 also offer free WiFi from anywhere displaying the “BT Openzone” or “the cloud” logos.

The other benefit of WiFi is you can play games against each other (like FS5 Hockey), use VNC to control your PC upstairs, and use the Remote app to control your iTunes server.

sometimerider
    Free Member

If you have a MAC, then you can also do clever things with your iphone and itunes. Only if you have wi-fi enabled though.

Why would you use 3G if wi-fi is available?

GrahamS

If you have a MAC, then you can also do clever things with your iphone and itunes.

The “Remote” app works with PC iTunes too – or does the Mac offer something else?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Also, free WiFi is available on most UK trains is good as 3G signal can be unstable when travelling due to different masts and 3G coverage.

hahahahahahah!

not on my line. Personally I’d rather they put enough carriages on so that I could get a seat once in a while

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘iPhone WiFi Question’ is closed to new replies.