• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • iphone – why won't it email photos?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

iphone 4s, running ios6

If I send a photo as an email, I get the “whoosh” noise, saying it’s sent, then a few minutes later it’ll appear in Outbox, where it will sit churning away for a couple of hours before I can delete it.

Doesn’t make any difference if I’m using wifi or 3G.

I’ve TIOABOAd, soft reset, deleted & reset up my email acoount all to no avail.

Ideas…?

Thanks!

jam-bo

Too big? A lot of mail servers have 10mb limit.

nemesis
    Free Member

Is it an Apple specific photo? 🙂

Which email service are you using and what size is the photo(s)? As suggested, it could be that the pic is too big.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

email service is outlook.office365 (it’s a work account). No size limit I’m aware of.

Even sending a pic as “small” (58k) it won’t go.

Cougar

Email working generally without attachments?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

yep, providing there’s not a photo email stalled in the outbox

GrahamS

Very odd.

Has this just started happening or have you never been able to send photos via that account?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Only really been aware of it in the last week or so?

euans2
    Free Member

No help to you but it works on an iPhone 5s with iOS8

zilog6128

You could try upgrading to iOS8 if that is an option. I vaguely recall a problem with sending photos when iOS6 first came out, although that may have been more to do with MMS. But it could be a bug and if you’ve never upgraded you may still have a bugged version of iOS.

Alternatively have you tried creating another email account e.g. Gmail and sending a photo through that?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just tried setting up my (very rarely used) plusnet account on the phone and it keeps saying “no”. Entered all the bumf 4 times so far. Getting properly fed up now.

I don’t really want to upgrade the ios, as I suspect it will be too cumbersome for the hardware. Every bit of IT gear where I’ve ever just upgraded software, the performance goes down drastically as a result. Ayway – it does (did!) Just Work ™, so why fix whats not broken? (especially when I can’t go back to ios6 if it doesn’t solve the photo issue.)

GrahamS

FWIW I run iOS8 on my 4S and I find it fine. But I understand your concerns!

Anyways what kind of server are you connecting to when you send email? Is it a commercial service or a private server? Just wondering if the server connection is really slow or something.

Seems odd you can send text emails but not photos. Have you tried sending one with “rich text” (e.g. bold, italics, bigger font etc)?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The server is a cloud based one, as I understand it.

How do I write rich text on an iphone? If I mail myself a rich text email, it comes through on the phone without the bold/italics/underlining etc.

GrahamS

You can select text the choose Bold/Italic/underline or Quote Level from the pop up menu.

(I think that is available on iOS 6 but not sure to be honest)

jfletch
    Free Member

How do I write rich text on an iphone? If I mail myself a rich text email, it comes through on the phone without the bold/italics/underlining etc.

Upgrade to iOS8 😈

kcal

Try another attachment? e.g. PDF or document..

iOS8 on a 4S here – haven’t been a problem, I do have a work email account but don’t use that to send out anything other than text. My PlusNet account has been fine for the 4S – can’t recall if I ever had iOS6 on it (late arrival to the smart phone party) but iOS7 was fine for photos.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘iphone – why won't it email photos?’ is closed to new replies.