Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • iPhone users – advice needed please
  • wl
    Free Member

I’m on a SIM only deal right now with O2, around £11 per month. I need to get a new iPhone (my 4s got wet and died) and I’m tempted to buy a second-hand 4s because I like the size and build, plus it’s cheap at around £100. Would this be a big mistake? I only really need the phone for calls, camera, email, View Ranger and social media but I don’t want to buy an outdated phone that won’t work properly now or soon. I’m the opposite of a techie, so I know nowt about this kind of thing. Some folk say the 4s is still fine for doing most things so long as it has the latest OS. Any tips, ideas or warnings? Ta v much.

honourablegeorge

Get a Samsung S5. It’s waterproof.

Id never go back to an iPhone, for that alone.

scuttler

Camera’s loads better in more recent phones. Plus not sure how much longer Apple will be putting out upgrades for 4S, nor whether they’re going to impact performance significantly.

That aside, I have an excellent condition white 4S here that I’d consider selling for under £100 if you’re interested (can provide photos).

wl
    Free Member

honour – take your point but I liked the 4s and it was my own fault it died. After 2.5 years it was still like new, despite taking taking it biking 2-3 times a week in all weather.

scuttler – thanks for this. Will do a bit of research and might get back to you if it looks like your phone could be an option.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I’d spend a little extra and get a 5 or 5s, as it will be supported for longer than the 4S

jb72
    Free Member

Given that the 4S is quite old now the problem is finding one in good condition and with good battery life. Just be careful buying one secondhand.

Samsung S5 is good though … I’ve rinsed mine down after rides!

IA

5s will be supported a lot longer than the 5, as that’s when they went 64bit.

simon_g

I’d spend a little extra and get a 5 or 5s, as it will be supported for longer than the 4S

This.

I actually have an iPhone 5 going spare that would fit your budget – drop me a mail if you’re interested.

finishthat
    Free Member

look for a 5c £100 ish – can be got cheaply – much better than 5 (battery) , or a 5s if you can get one at a reasonable price.
    Forget a 4s – not worth it at £100 – should be £30

mrsfry
    Free Member

I got a 5s as i like the size plus the extra storage space for £100 (and it’s in gold). I don’t like android and iphone 6/6s are just to big

wl
    Free Member

Cheers all – so where’s the best bet for second-hand phones? ebay? Those (dodgy-looking) high-street shops? Ta.

FuzzyWuzzy

Although I’m stuck with a 4s (company phone so can’t change unless it’s to a Lumia 635 *blergh*) I’d look at a 5s now as a replacement in your situation, mainly due to concerns over the health of a battery in a 4s.

ourmaninthenorth

5S should do the job. Apple’s iPhone product cycle is annual with a new device coming out in September each year*. It’s new model in year one, then S model the following year. As they release the new model or the S, so the phones at the bottom of the range drop off – basically everything moves down one.

The 5S is still sold, but is their bottom of the range phone now. The assumption will be that it will be removed from the range in September. It will, however, be supported for a while longer.

As to battery issues, it’s possible to pay for a replacement (legit Apple or cheaper non-legit).

*they don’t ever formally say that’s true, even within the much of their own organisation. Paranoid doesn;t come close to describing how they operate!

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I had the same problem. My Iphone4 died last week. I’ve gone for a 6s sim-free and kept my £8 per month orange deal. It was expensive but my plan is to keep this phone for more than 2 years.

I went for the 64gb option. It was expensive, but compared to a new contract and cheaper deal on the phone I’ll save over £250 in the next 2 years and even more if I can make this phone last as long as the iphone4.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Got my phone from cash convertors unlocked :). The phones get checked for via the apple and stolen database thingy and stored for 28 days (giving the seller a chance to buy back) then put on the shop floor. Six month guarantee as well, never had a problem with it. 32gb dirt cheap and looks like new

CountZero

5C/5S for the win. All your apps will copy straight on from your backup, (you have made a backup, haven’t you?), and everything else should be just as the 4S, but just faster, with more storage and a much betterer camera.
    Really is a no-brainer.
    Having said that, I still have my old 4, sitting on a DAB radio dock by my bed, with a nice hi-res world view app as the display showing weather and time, and I can switch straight to music if I want to. I do really love the form factor of the 4/4S, it’s heavy and solid, that stainless steel frame is much better than the alloy of the later models.
    My ideal iPhone would have the frame made from LiquidMetal, sapphire crystal outer with an AMOLED display.
    Oh, and 512Gb of storage and 5Gb of RAM; the next one may well have 256Gb, and possibly an AMOLED display, so it’s getting there. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

ideas or warnings?

5 battery life is much better. MY 4s loses it’s charge without me even using it as a phone. (It’s just an occasional music streamer). Replaced battery didn’t cure it. Very risky buying a second hand one, I’d say.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My mums selling her 5c if thats any use?

v8ninety

I do really love the form factor of the 4/4S, it’s heavy and solid, that stainless steel frame is much better than the alloy of the later models.

[i]Completely[/i] agree. I have a 5s now, and whilst functionally it is loads better than my old 4, the 4 looks newer and feels better in my hand. Wish someone would engineer the 5s or even 6s gubbins into the 4 form factor. I reckon it was the best looking and feeling one they ever made.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘iPhone users – advice needed please’ is closed to new replies.