Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • iPhone this, android that
  • samuri
    Free Member

I *thought* wanted an iPhone 5 to replace my iPhone 4.
    But so many people told me no, you want an HTC one. Or no, you want an S4. or no, you want a G2.

/dances around indecisively.

Email, web, music, twitter, flickr, fun games, phone, text, pictures, Endomondo, maps, kindle, useful apps like weather and photo editing.

Fit in my (big) hand well and be quite tough.

WHICH PHONE IS BEST FOR THAT?

If I can’t make my mind up I’ll go iPhone 5 but I’ve handled an S3 now and quite liked it and I like that I can add more memory for storage. The S3 has a plastic back which wasn’t great, the HTC One has an aluminium back I believe….

Three_Fish
    Free Member

But so many people told me no, you want an HTC one. Or no, you want an S4. or no, you want a G2. to buy whatever they bought because it helps to validate and reinforce their decision

Really, they all do pretty much the same thing, so get the phone you like the feel of and get on with it.

crikey
    Free Member

The S3 has a plastic back which wasn’t great, the HTC One has an aluminium back I believe….

Are you going to rub it on your genitals or use it as a smartphone?

samuri
    Free Member

Both probably. Can you get decent vibration apps for the android phones, could be a deal breaker?

The S3 felt a bit slippery because of the plastic back.

daveh
    Free Member

Nexus 4 16GB £199.

ampthill

Note or Note 11

A great present for my sausage fingers. Has made typing way easier..

There is tougher s4 variant and I think one of the xperias is water proof

_tom_
    Free Member

I have an S3 and it is a bit slippy with the plastic back. Still really pleased with mine though. My mate has an S4 and its better to hold.

Houns

Got an S4. Wish I’d have gone for the HTC One

mogrim

Really pleased with my XperiaZ, good build quality, tough, waterproof…

legend
    Free Member

ampthill – Member
    Note or Note 11
    A great present for my sausage fingers. Has made typing way easier..

The only people I know with Notes have a man bag to carry it in. I’m sure they work well, but I don’t get phablets

-m-
    Free Member

iPhone this, android that

Windows phone the other?

allthepies
    Free Member

Nexus 4, bargainlicious currently!

quite tough.

You would need a decent case to make it meet that criteria though.

samuri
    Free Member

Windows phones are out. My son is itching to replace his virtually new windows phone with my old iPhone. He hates it.

I need to hold an HTc one I think to see what that’s like.

chewkw
    Free Member

samuri – Member

/dances around indecisively.

WHICH PHONE IS BEST FOR THAT?

I am afraid you will be dancing for a while. 😆

My friend recommend me Samsung then HTC for business use but I have forgotten about the details now. Apparently they can sign off documents. 😯

I am just about to upgrade to Nokia 301 …

IanW
    Free Member

Ipad mini for all the web nonsense and a cheap Nokia as a phone.

I am right whatever anyone else says.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter. go for which one looks the best.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a Nexus 4 in a robust case for day to day, and then when I’m glamping-it-up in that there London I take the case off and no-one knows Im a closet woodsman/hobo in real life.

miketually
    Free Member

A colleague got rid of his Windows phone (the top of the range Nokia) after just a few months. The phone was fine, but there were just no apps available.

He replaced it with the LG Nexus 4 and has been really happy with it. he used to be an iPhone user.

I’ve got the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and really rate that too.

I like that the Nexus devices get you vanilla Android, and that you get the newest versions as they’re released. My wife has the S2 and I don’t like the Samsung stuff overlaid on top; you get the HTC interface on that too, though you can always install whatever ROM you like.

Nexus 4 is a bargain now, as long as you can live with the onboard storage.

drlex
    Free Member

Just to add to your confusion, Internet rumours suggest New iPhone (or iPhones) announcement on 10th September, shipping 20th.

(I’m conflicted, as a colleague has offered me his iPhone 5 for £350, as wants to shift it next week)

dannybgoode

I have a Windows phone, have since WinPho 7 so know the ecosystem very well. There are stacks of apps and with the exception of Instagram and anofficial YouTube apply all the major ones (and even then there’s good third party versions of these).

Anyone who says there is a lack of apps hasn’t used a WinPho for very long if at all

It’s fast and runs well on all phones in the Nokia range, Nokia’s own built in sat navigation is about there is and features offline maps.

Genuinely I will not have anything else. If you haven’t tried at least have a play with one before discounting it and check the Windows Phone Apple Store (available online to search even without a WinPho) and see if any of the application you want are missing.

The Lumia 925 is about the nicest phone I have ever used.

Cheers

DannyB

allthepies
    Free Member

Which case stoner ? Any good ?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Last time i looked there were nearly 400’000 apps for windows/nokia handsets so exactly how many apps do you need?
    Wouldn’t go back to Android now.

miketually
    Free Member

I have a Windows phone, have since WinPho 7 so know the ecosystem very well. There are stacks of apps and with the exception of Instagram and anofficial YouTube apply all the major ones (and even then there’s good third party versions of these).

Anyone who says there is a lack of apps hasn’t used a WinPho for very long if at all

My colleague hated the FB app on his Windows phone and struggled to find versions of anything useful. He’s a techy IT person and stuck with it for 6 months…

Stoner
    Free Member

ATP, this one
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojs_UnP8Fw8[/video]

You can see from the vid the key points.
    It’s not waif-like, but it’s taken all the abuse Ive given it which is a fair bit as it goes from garage, to log pile to pub, to bike ride etc etc.

dannybgoode

The inbuilt people hub is all I use for FB. Shows all my friends updates and is completely advert free. The people hub in general is an absolute joy to use-pulls in Twatter, LinkedIn each cartridge also

The official FB apply was truly dreadful but has very recently been updated and is now very good.

I don’t however buy a phone based on how good its FB is though to be honest.

As I said my earlier post it is worth trying a Windows phone before making any decision but make sure you try one that is properly set up otherwise it will not have the people hub fully functioning.

If you look at any consumer review sites all Windows Phone 8 devices by Nokia (Amazon, Reevu etc) all score a solid 4.5 – 5 dinks so must be doing something right…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Samsung G4 and add more memory.
    Don’t worry about the shiny back, get a robust case for it to replace the std back ( like I’ve done )

mattsccm
    Free Member

Buy one like mine. It’s really good .It costs bugger all to run as it is tucked away somewhere safe. not sure where but probably somewhere in the house. Or maybe the wife’s car. Or maybe On Skye which was where I used it last in May. Think of all that riding you could have done instead of fussing about a bit of plastic. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve had a play on my sons windows phone. I don’t like it. The web search engine appears to be hardwired into bing!!!

I think we’re down to either a new iphone (whatever that means after the 10th), or an S4.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have a nexus 4 and proper chuffed with it, eventually. What about a galaxy S2 for around £140 brand new. Just throw in an unlimited sim only plan and jobs a good’un. The S2 is a real tough old boot and more than capable of coping.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’ve had an HTC one X for the last year, and while I’ve been impressed with the speed and screen size, it can be a bit temperamental with the browser crashing and what not.

I might give up the smartphone next time round, it’s changed me from someone who didn’t give a shit about my pphone to one of these idiots that checks it every two minutes a day pauses films to see what else the lead character has been in

Posted from my HTC appendage

ampthill

My pockets seem easily able to cope with the nore. But I don’t every have to wear a suit or look proper smart

The only thing you can say against the nexus 4 is battery access. but now the price has dropped its amazing value

prawny

Galaxy s4 active.

clubber
    Free Member

IMO…

If you’re the sort of person who gets a new phone and spends time tinkering with it because you want it to work in a certain way, get android – you can pretty much get if to work however you want and you’re not limited by what Apple dictate.

If you’re happy to let apple say how you should use it (and they usually get it pretty right) and consequently it’ll be very slick then stick with Apple.

Unless you’re already heavily invested into apple products in which case stock with them but you probably wouldn’t be asking in that case.

Android all the way for me. I hated not being able to change some of the options on my iPhone and can’t see myself ever going back.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bought a galaxy s4 today as I couldn’t find any used iphones near me for sale with more than 16gb. I already wish id waited. Im tyoing this on it and making milliins of mistakes. Too big for my girly hands.

loddrik
    Free Member

If anyone wants to swap their iohobe 5 with at least 32gb for this unlocked s4 im all ears.

scotroutes

One thing that might swing it for you is how much you are into the google “DNA”. I love the way my HTC integrates with lots of the other google products. I’m not sure iphones manage it as well. Of course, if you believe that google is the devil, you may wish to swing the other way.

prawny

The Samsung keyboard is shite, luckily, it being android you can change it for one you like. I recommend swift key or Kii, which are both excellent and better than the iOS ones IMO.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use the swipe on my SG4, can’t get anything like it on my iPad..

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I used galaxy S4 and really liked it overall, but not the plasticky feel and the shape meant it didn’t sit easily in my hand…. Never had a phone drop or slip out my hand as much….

iPhone 5 I sent back after a week,…….. In comparison screen is small and it just feels dated now

Settled on a HTC One…. All aluminium….. If it didn’t say HTC it could easily pass as everything an IPhone 6 should be! Only two negatives are slow charging time, and the screen is poor outside compared to iPhone

madhouse

Don’t get a second hand iPhone now, new one will land soon and send used prices of the ‘old’ one tumbling.

As for what to get, same as with bikes. Sod what everyone else says, go to the shop, give a few a go and see what you like.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘iPhone this, android that’ is closed to new replies.