Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • IPhone – taking it back to OS3 from OS4
  • Rik
    Free Member

I have an Iphone 3g and it came to me upgraded to OS4, its a bit slow at times and i'd like to take it back to OS3.

– Has anybody done it?
    – How easy is it to do?
    – Can you direct me to a reputable guide to tell me how to do it (preferably so it does not cause my phone to explode)
    – General advice

Thanks in advance

Lactic
    Free Member

iOs4 ruined my iPhone 3G as well. Cynical types might wonder if apple do this deliberately to force people to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone 4 (which is ace)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

They do say that the 4.1 release (due September ish IIRC) will fix some of the issues on the 3G by stripping out some functionality.

GrahamS

Also on lifehacker is advice for speeding it up again without going back to OS3.

Apparently turning off all the Spotlight searches then double resetting it seems to help some people.

Didn't work for MrsGrahamS' 3G tho.

allthepies
    Free Member

I downgraded my iPod touch 2G from OS4 back to an OS3 level.

Apple don't make it easy though!

OS4 was slow on my touch and killed the battery life, happy to be shot of it now 🙂

fatface
    Free Member

can't go back to 3.1.3 on the phone from 4 because the baseband(?) wont downgrade.

found out from personal experience.

simon_g

Lifehacker article worked fine for me. Make very sure you have a good 3.1.3 backup first though – backups get overwritten so you can end up going back and then having nothing to restore from (so you have to sync everything over and lose app data like progress in games).

nickc

Hmmmm think I'll wait to see what apple' s own fix is like first. I can live with it till mid sept

Militant_biker

There was an article in the Sunday Times about this (think it was the 25th). It gave a good set of instructions, at a glance, not quite the same as the lifehacker article above. Have to say, I had been considering updating my 3G to OS4, but won't bother now…

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

I've just disabled all my spotlight searches and hard reset twice (I'm sure once would be enough) and my 3G is significantly better.

Thanks for the heads-up.

fisha
    Free Member

I downgrading mine to 3.1.3

Downloaded a 3.1.3 ROM from the net
    Switched the phone into its recovery mode setting
    Forced itunes to flash the old ROM
    Re-booted
    Then used a small utility program to reboot the iphone out of its recovery mode ( that needed an old XP laptop i had lying around )

soooo much better than ios4.

but i'll still be getting rid of the iphone. bored of it now. and there is nothing i see i want in the new iphone4 either.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘IPhone – taking it back to OS3 from OS4’ is closed to new replies.