Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • iphone swype keyboard
  • mrmo
    Free Member

currently got a galaxy s and a swipe type keyboard,

does the iphone have an equivalent?

nealglover
    Free Member

Path Input

Seems ok to me, although I don’t really use it to be honest as I prefer the traditional keyboard.

CountZero

Wots a ‘swipe’ keyboard? The one on my iOS devices works fine for me.

mrmo
    Free Member

i have got used to and prefer swype style.

Explanation. Normal keyboard you pick each letter and click on it as you would on a typewriter.
    a swype type keyboard works by placing your finger on the first letter then sliding it across the virtual keyboard passing the letters that make the word on the way.

joemarshall
    Free Member

No, apple don’t let you change the keyboard, and they don’t support it in the stock one. So only in special apps like path input (you write in the app then copy paste into a message), or if you jailbreak.

It’s been in the stock android keyboard for ages now, it’d be surprising if it doesn’t turn up as a revolutionary new feature on ios soonish – the ios keyboard is okay, but they haven’t really done much to it compared to how much other os keyboards have changed.

I use messageease, another example of an innovative keyboard that is unavailable on iOs – it is an odd alternative keyboard, is fun, fast and doesn’t do prediction, just individual letters, which is nice if you type odd words regularly, or need to type odd punctuation. No more mispredictions.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Swiftkey (imho) is miles ahead of Swype now. It’s bloody good, in fact.

chvck
    Free Member

The stock android one is quite a bit better than swype now, any idea how that one compares to swiftkey? I’m so used to swiping now that not swiping is irritating and a lot slower for me.

I thought that apple didn’t allow access to things such as keyboard so what joemarshall says makes sense, pity as I’d love a swiping keyboard for the ipad. I use my nexus 4 over the ipad for anything that requires any typing (such as google talk) now!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

When the new s4 is released, apparently Swiftkey is the default keyboard. Prediction is damn good too, you can write 3 characters and the word you want is usually there. Oi loik it.

CountZero

Prediction is damn good too, you can write 3 characters and the word you want is usually there. Oi loik it.

Well, prediction is pretty good on the iOS keyboard, often getting the full word after tapping four characters. I doubt if a swipe keyboard would be offered on iOS anyway, because tapping and holding is how you access modified characters, foreign variations and punctuation; so holding and sliding would just confuse things.
    Not entirely sure I’d like that form of text input anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had a go, not my thing but seen others love it. I guess thats the beauty of choice.

Typed using fingers and a real keyboard, feel sort of old fashioned.

hmanchester
    Free Member

+1 for SwiftKey

breadcrumb

Not tried swift key but swype is great, really miss it when I’m using the iPad.

TooTall
    Free Member

tapping and holding is how you access modified characters, foreign variations and punctuation; so holding and sliding would just confuse things.
    Not entirely sure I’d like that form of text input anyway.

Quite the ‘anti-29er’ stance there fella. Swype also has holding as access to other characters yet it works. All entry before Swype was regular tapping, yet millions of people now use and like it, so it works despite you not thinking you’d like something you’ve not used.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Swiftkey user on both my nexus and my s3.you can also use swipe in Swiftkey now. If I hadn’t of gotten Swiftkey on my s3 I’d of gotten rid at the time as I found the keyboard and predictions to be embarrassingly rubbish! Swoftkey is bang on accurate. I can type as fast as possible and it’s nigh on always bang on.

Ios would never let you alter something as useful as a keyboard which is why after 3/4 year user of apple iPhone I converted,

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah it’s not long come from a beta called “Flow” and leaves a lovely purpley line as you swipe across the keys. I also find choosing a number or 2nd function of a standard key much quicker in Swiftkey than Swipe.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve never really got on with swift key or similar in the past but am going to give it another go given how popular it seems to be…

nickjb
    Free Member

Swoftkey is bang on accurate

:mrgreen:

clubber
    Free Member

I’m finding it tricky if I’m honest… More practice needed I guess

shindiggy
    Free Member

Love Swipe, tried swift key for a few weeks but it just wasn’t as fast nor easy for me as swipe is.

I really dislike typing anything in my partners Ipad due to the lack of a decent alternate keyboard.

chvck
    Free Member

Well, prediction is pretty good on the iOS keyboard, often getting the full word after tapping four characters.

I guess if you use prediction a lot then you may not benefit hugely from it, I don’t use prediction at all and like to just swipe out my entire message in one go and then correct and mistakes (usually not many). The modifier keys are the exact same as on iOS devices. I didn’t like it at first but kept with it and now don’t like going without it!

The reason Apple won’t offer it is because they’ve made a decision and they’ve got to stick with it as that’s the Apple way (not saying that’s a bad thing).

edit: oh yeah and another android alternative is Go keyboard. That has a large number of different input methods, one of them being swiping. You need a powerful phone though or it’s slow as!

deviant
    Free Member

Fan of swype type texting here too. Tried swiftkey but didnt get on with it, was pleasantly surprised to find swype type texting built into the latest Android update. Love it on my nexus-7

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

The beauty of the (full size) iPad is that if you have a lot of typing then change to landscape and it’s possible to touch type!

[This post was swyped on my nexus]

PePPeR

I’m a fan of Swiftkey too, and yes the latest update allows swype now. I have it set up but rarely use it as the Swiftkey does a brilliant job of predicting whole sentences!

clubber
    Free Member

Finally cracked it! There’s a setting in SwiftKey to change the size/height of the keys. Setting it to “small” has stopped me making mistakes with where I press.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘iphone swype keyboard’ is closed to new replies.