Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Iphone screen not working – help please
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Dropped my iPhone on to a hard surface from pocket height so like 30″ landed on its back (in a thule case)
    No visible damage but the screen won’t respond to touch
    All functions work bar the touch screen
    Done a reset with home and power button to no avail
    1 year old 5se btw

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thule cases not much cop then?

Sorry, not much help. If it makes you feel any better, my iPhone is sitting in a bag of rice after being inadvertently put in the washing machine.

iamanobody
    Free Member

It’s weird as literally no physical damage

iolo
    Free Member

maybe a connector cable thingy popped out internally

iamanobody
    Free Member

What are the repair costs at apple?

Superficial
    Free Member

As above it’s possible that it’s just a loose connection. Certainly on my iPhone 5s, the digitiser is connected separately from the screen. So it may be a reasonably straightforward fix, or it may be that you need a new screen unit.

Cougar

1 year old 5se btw

Book an appointment with a Genius, suck up to them about how much you love it and you’re gutted that it stopped working and they’ll probably give you a new one.

nealglover
    Free Member

Book an appointment with a Genius, suck up to them about how much you love it and you’re gutted that it stopped working and they’ll probably give you a new one.

This.

I’ve yet to pay for any repair/replacement at Apple Store so far (been a customer since first iPhone).
    Im always massively friendly and polite when I go in, they have always responded in kind.
    Had a fair few Freebie minor fixes and replacements for iPhones/iPads over the years.

Cougar

Yeah.

They replaced an 18-month old iPhone 6 with a (very)smashed screen after we’d sat chatting for 15 minutes. The “Genius” actually told us what to say to him to allow him to replace it.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wow. I wonder if they’ll replace my waterlogged 5s? Do you have to show a receipt? I was given mine.

GrahamS

The “Genius” actually told us what to say to him to allow him to replace it.

Could have done with that knowledge today. I took in an iPhone SE 64GB that I’d got off eBay on Thursday. It seemed fine but died when I charged it overnight and couldn’t be restarted.

I did the polite suck up routine. The Apple guy agreed it was a hardware fault but disappointingly stuck to the “out of warranty, why not just buy a replacement for £250” line. 😕

I pointed out that according to his records the original seller only bought it in June last year so shouldn’t the EU consumer regs give two years from that date? He admitted that was true but said “Ah but he bought it from Carphone Warehouse so he has to talk to them. And it has to be him not you”

Ah well. He did at least give me some evidence for my eBay refund.

GrahamS

Wow. I wonder if they’ll replace my waterlogged 5s?

Very unlikely.

I have had replacements in the past, even out of warranty, but only for stuff that shouldn’t have happened.

Best you’ll get is a reduced price on a refurb replacement.

deviant
    Free Member

See, I’ve found them to be the most stuck up self important **** on the High-St.
    Took my 6 in there as the touch ID stopped working, the ‘helpful’ genius suggested I buy a new one….nope, walked a few doors down the road to an independent phone shop and had a new screen and fixed touch ID for around £100.
    I like Apple products but by God they’re a ruthless money making machine.

nealglover
    Free Member

Took my 6 in there as the touch ID stopped working, the ‘helpful’ genius suggested I buy a new one….nope, walked a few doors down the road to an independent phone shop and had a new screen and fixed touch ID for around £100.
    I like Apple products but by God they’re a ruthless money making machine.

Possibly, but given that the same repair would have only been £35 more at the Apple shop, and would have been done with genuine parts, by an Apple trained techie, and come with a proper guarantee. I’d say that was a bad example of their money grabbing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Iphone screen not working – help please’ is closed to new replies.