Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Iphone Sat Nav apps and holding / charging bracket options
  • transapp
    Free Member

Just got a company car without sat nav so looking into an iphone version. Who uses what, and any decent mounting brackets? I connect my phone to the car bluetooth if that makes any differance, but there’s no phone bracket in the car.

Thanks

kiwijohn

I use Navigon for gps.
    As for brackets, I have a Kensington, but it’s not ideal for my car. The socket is flat next to the gear lever, so needs tilting up at 90º. Not really enough room.
    Now I use a Griffin iTrip with a cheap dash mount.

philstone

Tomtom with brodit, expensive but works very well.

nealglover
    Free Member

Vehicle specific Brodit holders from DSL Developments are the only ones worth having in my opinion.

And my preference is Copilot Live, for the price it’s very good indeed.

Cougar

Another vote for Brodit. They come in two parts, so you get a vehicle-specific mount, and a phone-specific holder, then mate the two together. There’s usually various options within that (there’s three or four different mounts for different places in my car, and horizontal / vertical / powered / passive cradles for my phone).

Makes life easier if you change cars or phones, too.

GrahamS

Navfree for the sat nav – not perfect but free!

Mount: Mini Arkon iPhone 4 Slimgrip IPM515 by Arkon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZTAEB8

Brodie are nice, but this is under a tenner and does the same job and will hold any smartphone around that size.

Cougar

So long as you don’t mind sucker marks on your windscreen that will encourage scrotes to chuck a brick through your window to look for satnavs.

GrahamS

I leave it suckered to my window in plain view, so said scrotes can see it is a phone holder and is empty.

Are Brodit mounts invisible? 😉
    They’d be worth stealing on their own!

Cougar

I’ve oft considered that, but was unsure whether the junkie scumbags would be able to tell the difference (or care).

matthewjb
    Free Member

CoPilot for the navigation.

Kensington mount bodged to fit on the previous phone bracket.

hamsolo
    Free Member

I was using navfree, butI now use waze. It uses your data connection, but there are live (social media fuelled) updates for traffic, incidents speed cameras etc. if you are on an unlimited data contract it’s defo worth a look.

CountZero

I’ve got one of those Arkon mounts, and it’s brilliant, absolutely rock solid mount that does remove in seconds if you need to. Mine’s left in place all year round, and I’ve never had an issue with it. Had a Kensington one for a while, but it was crap, wobbled like mad and fell off for a passtime, usually about twenty minutes into a journey. 😡
    CoPilot Live, just updated free from the original CoPilot, works fine, but it’s really worth digging into the menus and setting up preferences for major and minor roads and their speed limits, otherwise you can find yourself being guided around all the little side roads.
    Works very well once set up. UK Map is very good too, for detailed 1:10k town maps.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Iphone Sat Nav apps and holding / charging bracket options’ is closed to new replies.