Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Iphone Sat Nav
  • JCornford

Does anyone use sat nav on their iphone and if so which app do you use? I'm looking at the Navigon app, it's half price until the end of the month.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

does that app have voice commands as well as turn by turn maps? The speaker phone on my 3G is so quiet I don't think you'd hear anything in a car over the road noise.

you'd definately need a charger too if you're leaving location services and 3G on for any length of time.

cp

co pilot gets rave reviews and has full post code search, which Navignon doesnt. it's also cheaper as standard! not used it, but plan on getting it.

JCornford

Yep, there are a few now that do voice command and turn by turn, there was nothing for ages and a lot of people were talking about it and asking when, but now they are out no one seems to have noticed.

fu_manchu
    Free Member

Use co-pilot, have had tom tom in the past and its seems on a par and pretty cheap as well.

Jamie
    Free Member

Personally i use either Navigon or CoPilot. Thing is this is on a motorbike so what i find good in a SatNav you probably don't….i.e clear voice commands in good time 😉

Lots of info here tho:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=134

GrahamS

The TomTom iPhone app is out too – but the supporting TomTom hardware mount isn't available yet (it is supposed to add an extra GPS antenna).

Expensive though.

willard

Very expensive… I just kept my old phone, left it in airline mode and use the TomTom on that. I am _not_ paying 60 notes for something I already have…

JCornford

Looking at the chart on that site Navigon looks pretty good, how do you rate it Jamie? Do you get updates and if so so you have to pay for them?

GrahamS

Kensington have announced a car mount that doubles the iPhone speaker volume:
    http://www.iphonealley.com/current/new-kensington-car-mount-doubles-iphone-speaker-volume

Possibly quite useful with sat navs.

GrahamS

The TomTom Car Kit is now available.

£99 including the TomTom app (which is £60 on its own).

– built-in speaker and microphone.
    – additional GPS receiver
    – charges as you go.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TX529ZM/A

peteimpreza

I have just used TomTom on my iPhone to go from the UK to Slovenia via france, Belgium, Germany and Austria.

Worked flawlessly and the speaker was more than loud enough. Needed to keep it attached to the charger though.

Grahams there is a two to three week delay on that car mount kit. Also where does it say the App is included?

sharkbait
    Free Member

According to this report it seems the app is not included with the car kit which makes it fookin expensive I think.

I did find this TomTom Copilot review the other day – which makes a very compelling case especially given the price difference.

TomTom v CoPilot fight

cpon
    Free Member

I've got Co-pilot, it was £25.99 and seems to be good value.

I can't compare it to any others as this is the only one I've tried.

It does everything I need from a Satnav, clear audio, easy to use and clear mapping

C.

GrahamS

Hmmm that's odd the Apple page appears to have mysteriously disappeared.
    I got the link from this iPhone alley which said:

"They are priced at £99.95 (US$164.10) in the UK and 99.95 Euro (US$147.90) in other European countries, and includes the companion iPhone application."
    http://www.iphonealley.com/current/tomtom-car-kit-available-in-european-countries-app-included

£100 for just the mount would be taking the piss.

sharkbait
    Free Member

£100 for just the mount would be taking the piss.

Indeed it would but seeing as it's got an extra aerial, power adapter thingy and speaker I bet that's the deal.
    Maybe TomTom think they're unbeatable and are indeed extracting the urine. Seeing as the iphone is taking sales away from their standalone units they're prob trying to get money wherever they can. Their app is nice but it's obviously not the best.

GrahamS

Not got much to compare it to, but this Kensington Liquid FM Deluxe AutoKit is a mount, with external power and an FM transmitter with RDS and it's £39 from the Apple store.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Iphone Sat Nav’ is closed to new replies.