Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • iPhone question
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Can you set your iPhone to use Google Maps instead of the native one? Like when somebody texts you an address and you click it – it will open GM instead?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t think so – copy paste into Google Maps is the way I do it

jekkyl

I dunno about as the default driving app but goggle maps is available for Ios so just tap the symbol to start the app as you normally would. It also carrys traffic date

jam-bo

Not since about ios7 I think.

CountZero

Apple have well-documented issues with Google, they’re not going to go out of their way to help Google earn money through direct links, especially when they have their own mapping app specifically to avoid using Google Maps.

jamj1974

Try using chrome as your browser and seeing if that does it…?

jamj1974

Yep. Chrome takes me straight into google maps.

GrahamS

Yeah AFAIK there’s no way to set it as default short of jail breaking the phone.

Some apps might offer “Open in Google Maps” as an option though, especially other Google apps.

nickdavies

Not from the iOS, and if you delete maps it will just throw an error.

As above only works out of chrome.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ok chaps, no worries. I just regularly get a text with an address I need to be at. I click the address to get directions and there’s always a ‘Doh’ moment before I realise it’s not Google Maps. Then I just copy and paste.

Is the Apple map app any good?

GrahamS

It’s much better than it used to be, but I still prefer Google Maps for navigation.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s OK for navigation but it’s crap compared to Google maps for finding something without an address eg to find a shop or place – google has a much more comprehensive list so you often have to get the address manually from Google etc and then copy paste it into apple maps (since carplay doesn’t allow google maps 👿 )

jamj1974

since carplay doesn’t allow google maps )

I share your pain. It is bloody annoying.

GrahamS

I don’t have CarPlay but Google Maps still gives audio directions over the car stereo when hooked in with normal Bluetooth.

(Seem to remember there is an option in the Settings somewhere to get it to pretend to be an incoming phone call)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is the Apple map app any good?

No (note I am an Apple “fanboi”). It’s full of errors, I nearly missed my daughters graduation after it sent me to the wrong street a few miles away. Google maps is infinitely superior. I use Waze for navigation and Viewranger / OS Maps for walking/biking maps …

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve had that too – seems to have the address but it’s a few miles away from the actually location.

Graham, yes that works but it’s pretty limited in comparison

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘iPhone question’ is closed to new replies.