Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • iPhone OS 4.0
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Talk of a new OS for iphones – 3g and 3gs next wednesday.

Rumors of allowing apps to run in the background, should allow for GPS apps to improve – sitting running in the background whilst leaving the primary phone function running.

opinions? Hopefully that means no new HW for a while.

fadda

Oh dear – I'm about to upgrade to one and was going to do it on Monday. Best wait then!

carbon337
    Free Member

Its just an OS upgrade to 3G and 3Gs phones. Sounds like this will limit any immediate HW releases that were expected for July.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

HW?

EDIT: D'oh, hardware innit

fadda

Sorry, i'm something of a numpty! does that mean any existing 3G or 3GS will get it?

Nezbo
    Free Member

It's not coming out until June though 🙁

Also Memory Map are developing an app for it as well. I was thinking of getting one but i will wait until my contract next needs reviewing.

Bit more info here

GrahamA
    Free Member

Given that the 3g didn't get the voice commands added to the 3gs I'd be surprised if Apple add functionality that may impact on performance to the older phone.

mrmo
    Free Member

Sorry, i'm something of a numpty! does that mean any existing 3G or 3GS will get it?

In theory, yes, but depending on what it does some hardware may benefit less than other hardware. The newer handsets are faster so some features of the newer OS could be designed to take advantage of this but those features may be switched off on the older hardware.

Jamie
    Free Member

*looks up from running apps in the background already*

Sounds neat!

Would have thought they would roll out OS 4.0 with the 4th Gen iPhones tho.

vrapan
    Free Member

I agree with the article though, I don't see Apple announcing 4.0 already. What would the point be really? If they are actually releasing a media consumption platform in the form of a tablet they would want to focus everybody's attention to it as there is plenty of competition out there.

Dougal
    Free Member

The point of releasing 4.0 now is that it's likely it has features which share parentage with the iTablet or whatever it's going to be called.

Graham – Love the name!

carbon337
    Free Member

There is also talk of a delay for the tablet for the summer slot

vrapan
    Free Member

So you reckon the tablet will run the same OS the iPhone does? Maybe.

A fellow DBA / DB Developer Graham?

fisha
    Free Member

i'd imagine that they'll run the same core OS and development language and that if the tablet has a higher resolution screen, then the tablet will be able to scale up an iphone app to a tablet size, but that a high res tablet app wont scale down to an iphone.

It could make sense as then you could develop a single program to run on both bits of hardware, or easily develop an app with 2 skins to work on either the iphone or tablet.

GrahamS

Given that the 3g didn't get the voice commands added to the 3gs

you're not missing anything -it's shit.

A fellow DBA / DB Developer Graham?

Or just an xkcd.com fan?

GrahamA
    Free Member

vrapan, GrahamS

Both. There are to many people called Graham on here these days, I'm thinking of organizing a group ride.

GrahamS

Me, you and grahamb that I'm aware of. Are there others?

Onzadog
    Free Member

does 4.0 mean it will be able to make phone calls now?

clubber
    Free Member

No, that's slated for the 2015 release with the iPhone 6GXS

It's a bit complex that telephony stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

does 4.0 mean it will be able to make phone calls now?

Why would you want to make phone calls on it?

Onzadog
    Free Member

sorry Jamie, what was I thinking? My bad!

GrahamS
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘iPhone OS 4.0’ is closed to new replies.