Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • iPhone or new bike GPS?
  • Cletus
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have a Garmin Edge 200 GPS which is great but basic and I am looking at upgrading to something that can show maps.
    The Garmin 520 is 90% of what I want but has limited, non-expandable storage which means that I would have to upload new maps every time I am riding in a new area. I have been waiting for Garmin to release a new Edge 8xx but the events where they would announce this (CES and Sea Otter) have come and gone with no news.

I have recently been given an iPhone 6 by work and am wondering if using that might be an option? I would like to know which apps and mount kits other people use and what the strengths/weaknesses are.

I am a bit concerned that I could lose coverage on some of the remoter rides – are the any cycling apps that can use off line maps?

Also is battery life a problem? – some of my rides can be 12+ hours in duration.

Thanks 🙂

epicyclo

I’ve been going through much the same thought process.

So far the best option seems to be a supplementary battery for the iPhone (which I already have). Much much cheaper than getting a purpose built GPS unit.

trout
    Free Member

One battery tip is switch on airplane mode
    the gps still works fine and battery lasts ages
    also no annoying calls while riding

rob2
    Free Member

Same thought process here. I’m thinking iPhone 6 se with a back up battery. Apps like viewranger don’t need a signal just the gps.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fully waterproof thingy designed to work well with gloves, changing light conditions, mud, grime etc. Or a shiny work* phone?

I know which I’d use.

*The added temptation/likelihood of seeing work emails/calls etc while our riding is another plus for the Garmin! I have my 1000 set up so I see wheno important messages or calls come in, which is pretty handy.

jam-bo

With the latest round of garmin firmware I don’t think there is any danger of seeing important messages.

epicyclo

trout – Member
    One battery tip is switch on airplane mode
    the gps still works fine and battery lasts ages

Thanks, I had never thought of that.

jam-bo

But if you are using it on the bars for navigation the screen will drain the battery pretty quick.

gfrew88
    Free Member

The Satmap active 10 or 12 is good. 8 hour battery life and also can take AAA batteries when out for multiple days.
    waterproof and durable.

CraigW
    Free Member

For long rides, I’d look at something like the Etrex 30x. Battery life of about 24 hours on 2AAs, so easy to carry a few spares if necessary.
    And no worries about rain or mud etc.

Cletus
    Free Member

Thanks all – quite a diverse range of feedback 🙂

I will do some research into the options mentioned

scotroutes

Keep the phone safe, dry and charged for when you need it as a phone.

skids
    Free Member

I would say battery life will be a problem on your 12 hour rides even with backup

epicyclo

gfrew88 – Member
    The Satmap active 10 or 12 is good. 8 hour battery life and also can take AAA batteries when out for multiple days.

I have a SatMap. I reckon it is a real PITA compared to using the iPhone. It has sat in a drawer for the last 2 years.

My iPhone is in a waterproof shockproof case and a supplementary battery is all I need for a long day.

DickBarton

Out of interest, how much would you sell the Satmap for?

richardthird

Garmin Dakota 20 from Winstanleys, £130
    Talky toaster UK contour mapset, free
    £2 ebay bar mounts

AA batteries, lithium or high cap rechargeables.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

interesting, saving

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘iPhone or new bike GPS?’ is closed to new replies.