Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Iphone mountain bike case
  • spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I’m thinking of using my iphone as a bike gps, I don’t need any training or ant+ stuff, just maps and be able to donwload tracks to follow them.

I’m riding a fully rigid so I gues I need a very solid case that can withstand british weather.

I haven’t found a single case that gets a high percentage of reviews.

Any suggestions other than “Get a garmin” 🙂 ?

jam-bo

A genuine life proof case is pretty bombproof. The bad reviews tend to be for cheap fakes.

They are nearly as much as a garmin though.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Wow, true £130 for a complete bike mount.

cookeaa

I have one of these permanently attached to my commuter now, it also houses tools, tube, lock and a pac-a-mac.

The top wallet is rain-proof, touch screen compatible and accommodates my monstrously oversized Sony…

Tried clip on ‘rugged’ cases they wear out and are generally less useful than and having an extra bag and access to the phone IME…

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Those bags are fine on commuters, but my experience in a mtb is that after a while the velcros strip from the bag.
    I guess your commute is not off road?

iolo
    Free Member

I have a genuine Lifeproof boight direct. It lasted 2 weeks before the cover that sits on the charging hole snapped off. I since found out it’s very common for that to happen. Really stupid design.

https://www.google.at/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=lifeproof%20case%20battery%20door

When I used it on the motorbike, the screen became unreadable when sunny as light reflects off the screen protector. Using tomtom in anything other than dull days or night time was impossible.

cookeaa

Commute is on the road but I have used it on the MTB a bit, seemed fine but I suppose it could wear longer term, I have had cheap “gas-can” type bags wear out and fail at the straps on the road, I put that down to cheap materials and construction… YMMV of course.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Never had any issues with mine until the newer style they use on the iPhone 6>
    A 4 and two 5’s are all still going strong.
    Use the 6 on the bikes and the motorbikes with no issues but they are the Nuud version not the Fre.
    All the full cases like the Fre, Otterbox, etc have issues in direct sunlight because of the skin covering the screen.
    Tomtom’s and the like don’t have this as the screen/unit itself is waterproof and anti-glare.
    The mount is good too as you can use it on any of the adaptors – the older ones were model specific.
    Besides – the one really good thing about them is even if they do break – serial number emailed to them and a new one is dispatched within 48hrs to you FoC and each new one gets another 2yrs warranty.

Iolo – just email them on their warranty link and you’ll get a new one direct.

somafunk

topeak ridecase is pretty good,

trigrwoods
    Free Member

I have used Otterbox Defender cases for years and combined it with a screen protector and it has always worked for me. I take my phone with me on every ride and it has survived plenty of crashes, maybe ive just been lucky mind.
    Note though they are pretty bulky and the new cases for the iphone 6/6s comes with a built in screen protector and its rubbish, i just peeled the screen protector away from the case so you are left with just the shell and attached one of those sticky screen protectors to the phone and it works a treat.

http://www.otterbox.co.uk/en-gb/defender-series?scid=OB-EU-UK-TSA-cpc-06813&gclid=CLni-qnx-M0CFRLJGQodbRsJhw&gclsrc=ds

superleggero
    Free Member

I use the Quad Lock ‘Out Front’ mount: http://road.cc/content/review/173442-quad-lock-out-front-mount

In addition to the phone being mounted ‘out front’ ahead of the bars, it can be mounted in reverse so the phone is set back over the stem/headset in a more protected position (see pics in link). They do an optional transparent waterproof cover that slips over the hard case through which you can operate the phone (except for the fingerprint recognition feature). Phone can be attached to mount in portrait or landscape orientation.

The case itself is slimline enough that it can be left on the phone when off the bike, slipping easily easily into a pocket.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Life proof cases are good and fully waterproof for bikes. I’ve broken 2 mounts, just shear off through vibrations on my tourer. Would consider a ram mount though.

mattbee

My 5s Lifeproof Nuud case is 3 years old, has been through the wash on a 30deg wash & spin cycle, battered around on bike, at work as a rope tech.
    Just replaced the 5s with an SE and it will be going into the case. Pretty good value for money IMHO.
    Just buy direct, from Apple or from John Lewis to ensure its not a fake as there are loads of the, on Amazon and EBay.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Iphone mountain bike case’ is closed to new replies.