Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • iPhone Lighting/USB 64gb Drive
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I need to get a new usb memory stick for playing music in the car.

However I have just seen you can get dual iPhone lighting / USB ones too, which would be handy as my iPhone memory is full.

You can buy big brand ones for about £60, however has anyone used /can recommend cheaper versions from the likes of Gearbest that tend to be about £17?

Ta

jambalaya
    Free Member

What’s the benefit of a lighting connector, I don”t think the phone can use external storage. My old ipad wouod only import photos from memory sticks.

To asnwer your question I don’t know as I’ve always paid up for the brands

Cougar

I assume it presents itself like the old 40-pin “camera adapter” you could get.

It would be strange to supply a connector that did nothing, n’est-ce pas?

jambalaya
    Free Member

That’s what I had and it was very useful for that but as younsay it did nothing else. Not sure what a memory stick would do

Cougar

I think there’s only one thing it could do, and that’s store files. (-:

I do wonder whether it’ll work as external storage for photographs only (ie, music etc won’t work). I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if that were the case.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If it’s like the mophie space pack then you need an app then you can read and write. But not natively from iOS.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The easy way to transfer photos and videos between iPhone, iPad and computers, iXpand Flash Drive lets you free up memory on your mobile devices and instantly expand storage by up to 128GB**.

OK maybe I have the wrong end of the stick 😆

I have a USB stick in the car with some of my CD’s on it, but is 4gb so not many! I need to replace it with a larger one, and was wondering if one of these would also allow me to loads films on to the stick etc and then play them back on my iphone whilst on aircraft etc? Sounds like I could load it on to the stick, but then have to transfer the film on to the iphone to watch it? Slightly faffy but still better than nothing…?

Further reading of reviews…

SanDisk have created a dedicated free app for use with the iXpand and this allows access to the files you’ve stored on the device and even allows you to view pictures or playback video files without having to switch to another iOS app. Often these required custom app’s are a bit second-rate and clunky but I thought SanDisk had made a very creditable job with theirs, it looks clean and logical and works very well – tested on an iPhone 5 the video playback was stutter-free for me and probably as good as the best video app’s on iOS. Apple don’t allow iOS to directly access external drives in the same way as a computer can so this app is essential to get full access to the iXpand to manage your files. If you do want to view or edit your files in different iOS app’s there’s an “Open in…” function built into the SanDisk app to facilitate this – however this means the file has to be copied onto the iPhone or iPad and accessed from there. This is a limitation imposed by Apple and isn’t SanDisk’s fault but it does mean the iXpand might not be a total solution to an overflowing iPhone.

Looks like it can do it then, however looks like it doesn’t work with latest iOS updates..

If top kit doesn’t work, what are the chances of cheap kit??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘iPhone Lighting/USB 64gb Drive’ is closed to new replies.