Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • iPhone keeps asking for email password
  • iolo
    Free Member

Every now and then (about four times a day) my iPhone asks me for my email passwords. This happens even if I’m not in the mail app.
    The passwords are all correct and mail comes through but it’s annoying to have to enter passwords all the time.
    It’s running the latest iOS (8.3) and everything else works fine.
    Is there an easy fix to stop this?

andyl
    Free Member

Could be getting connection errors making it think the password is wrong. Outlook does this for me when the wifi is playing up or disconnected.

prettygreenparrot

connection errors would be my first choice too.
    then ‘user error’ – mistyped password or username
    then email account setup e.g. POP/IMAP confusion in setup instructions
    then port numbers for email account setup e.g. 143/993
    then SSL/TLS selection

good luck

iolo
    Free Member

I have other things connected to wifi – laptop, kindle. There’s no problem with these.
    It’s not user error as mail comes through even though it asks for password. That’s why I’m confused.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I get this quite often too. The thing is i’ve forgotten my email password and over the time it’s been happening have probably entered a good couple or so passwords and it never seems to matter – i’ve certainly never been denied access or had an ‘incorrect password’ message.

Tinners

Iolo – I had exactly the same thing a few weeks ago. You’re not with BT by any chance? I contacted ISP (BT) and they talked me through deleting the account then setting up email account from new. It initially didn’t work but when we went back into SMTP settings in the email account, there were a few in there that needed to be unticked and ticking a few others. This sorted it. I’m not technical and no idea exactly how or why this worked but there may be enough info there for you, or someone else, to sort it. Interestingly, other email accounts with the same ISP in the household had no such problems on Apple devices, only me. There has apparently been an issue with some accounts with Yahoo getting hacked and someone from BT told me they’re in the process of changing people over from Yahoo mail – something like that. Not sure if that’s anything to do with it.

enfht
    Free Member

What type of email account?

iolo
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a btinternet.com mail. That must be it. Thanks.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Tinners – you ask if the OP is with BT. Do you mean BT email? I’m with BT Broadband but don’t use the BT internet account. Are you suggesting its an issue with BT Broadband or the BT email?

diz

I get this all the time, I just ignore it now as my mail comes in if I enter it or not

Tinners

Sorry – I mean BT email, as in email address ending in @btinternet.com and the other derivatives. I don’t think it was anything to do with the router or actual broadband, just the email account (and it was tweaking the email account settings on the iPhone that sorted it in my case). Hope that helps.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Try deleting the accounts off your phone then adding them back in again.

Connection errors are normally the issue but you could have setup issues in the phone, dunno.

Tinners

I should emphasise that in my case, this was all sorted by tweaking the BT email account settings on the iPhone. I didn’t have to log in to my account on the BT website or anything.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘iPhone keeps asking for email password’ is closed to new replies.