Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Iphone help needed
  • stealthcat

Before I get flamed, it’s a second-hand iphone 4, but I don’t want to have to replace it…

To the best of my knowledge, I haven’t done anything to it – it hasn’t been dropped, it lives in an Otterbox so hasn’t got wet – but it has stopped ringing/beeping/vibrating except when I go to change the ringtone in Settings. It’s as if I’ve flicked the Silent switch on the side, but I’ve checked that.

I can use it to make calls, and if I see that it’s ringing, I can pick up the call and hear/be heard OK, but I just can’t get the ring/vibrate settings to work. Any suggestions?

jam-bo

Have you turned the ringer volume down?

stealthcat

Nope – ringer is on full volume. The fact that it doesn’t ring or vibrate makes me think that the silence switch is causing the issue, but I can’t see why it would…

kcal

Does it think the headphones are plugged in?

IIRC I got duff sound – no speaker sound and rubbish calls – when some damp got into the charging slot..

sazter

Could be dead switch, or the headphone jack thinks theres a headphone in it. If the former then you can use accessibility functions to operate the switch using software:

Go to settings – general – accessibility – then scroll down to assistive touch click it on

When you get the white dot tap on it you will get 4 icons.
    Click on the device one you will then see volume up and down and also have little bell make sure volume is up and the bell is not muted… Not as good as having a working switch but better than nothing!

Sarah

hammyuk
    Free Member

have you put it in “Privacy” mode?
    See if theres a moon in the top bar.
    Failing that sometimes the software can think headphones are in – turn it off properly and back on.
    Silence switch will still vibrate unless you’ve turned that off in settings.

Jamie
    Free Member

My iPhone 4 did this periodically. Also undropped etc.

Essentially, it thinks the headphones are in, or its docked. I was going to get wysiwyg from here to fit new dock/headphone connectors, but then I dropped it in the loo, which killed it outright.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

You rang? I do water damage too Jamie 😉

Turn it off and have a good fettle around in the earphone jack with a paper clip. Turn it upside down and bang it out, don’t be shy.

Then a full DFU restore. It should vibrate no matter what which makes me think software if it vibrates in the options menu

stealthcat

It doesn’t vibrate in the options menu either, though it does ring there. TIOABOA hasn’t made any difference, so I’ll try the paperclip and restore approach later – about to make the most of the sunshine and head out…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Vibrators go quite often. I’m always replacing them.

hammyuk
    Free Member

wysiwyg – Member
    Vibrators go quite often. I’m always replacing them.

Should spend less time on here and more time on the missus………

stealthcat

Full DFU restore hasn’t helped; it still doesn’t vibrate even in Settings.
    Apparently it did maliciously launch itself across the hall at Jon last night, though, which implies something may have got broken.

Wysiwyg – where are you based, and what are your repair charges? I haven’t found a reliable phone repair shop up here yet…

CountZero

I’m pretty sure the iP4 had a bit of a vibrator issue. 😯
    Apparently people complained about the vibrator motor in the 3G/Gs being too ‘loud’ so Apple changed it for a softer one; then everyone complained that they couldn’t hear or feel their phone in silent mode.
    I seem to remember it could fail, or cause a problem, but Apple changed it on the 5.

Muke
    Free Member

From personal experince I can thoroughly recommed the phone fixing services of wysiwyg 😀

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im in Notts. So volume button ribbon and a vibrator? Hopefully.
    I’d just chuck the board in my spare 4 to check anyway first.

You’re looking at £20 inc return spec del

stealthcat

Wysiwyg – can you drop me a mail on elainebarber at elainebarber dot plus dot com?

Thanks!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Didn’t see this. Ygm

stealthcat

Just as an update, I sent the phone off to Wysiwyg; it’s back and fixed in under a week, for next to no money. Comms were great all along, and the issues left by the last person who took my phone to pieces were also fixed, at no extra cost!

Given the number of iphones in the family, and the number that seem to get broken, I suspect he will get quite a bit of business from us…

jam-bo

wysiwyg did a screen + battery on a ip4 for me earlier in the year. when the replacement screen failed after a couple of days he sorted it out quickly and without any extra charge. recommended.

Clobber
    Free Member

Is wysiwyg email address correct in his profile???

wysiwyg
    Free Member

It’s my anti spam reverse psychology email address. If you want a safe for work fixerofphones@gmail.com will find me

Thank you please.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Iphone help needed’ is closed to new replies.