Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • iPhone GPS tracker app?
  • Lakes_Puma

Is there any apps that will automatically send your GPS position as an email or text message.

I thinking something that does it on a timed basis like once every 10 minutes.

I’m not after something that will constantly track your ride but something that will let a family member know where you are on a regular basis but not too often to wipe out your battery. So if you did get in trouble on a lone ride at least there would be a starting position.

fandango
    Free Member

I’m not sure it’s quite what you are after, but I use Google Latitude. It allows an invited person to view your location on a Google map. Supposedly realtime but my wife often finds I don’t move for a while (probably that’s because I’m slow….). Not sure what else is out there….

grilla
    Free Member

My other half uses Apple’s own Friend Finder to check my position, it only sends my position when she’s looking, not all the time, so doesn’t kill the battery.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

There used to be a piece of software called Instamapper, which you could program to send a GPS co-ordinate at set time intervals. It was great for my girlfriend to track my progress. Unfortunately that has now stopped working (they say temporarily). Currently my girlfriend uses the find my iphone app when she wants to check where I am on a ride.

Lakes_Puma

grilla, I’d never used that, I’ll take a look thanks

stufive
    Free Member

The Garmin app has a live track function that you can share on FB and Twitter but theres a subscription charge

Drac
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Pretty sure Endomondo can do this, you need to set it to update to web as you go (may be the default)

flyingmm

Buddy beacon Viewranger

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

+1 for Viewranger Buddy beacon

Drac

Oh aye forgot about Buddy Beacon on Viewranger.

asterix
    Free Member

Viewranger here too:-)

northernerindevon

Another one for Viewranger here as well…

Lakes_Puma

cheers everyone buddy beacon looks like a winner

GrahamS

My missus just uses the built-in Find My iPhone.

That has the major advantage over all the other solutions that I don’t need to remember to start an app on my iPhone for it to work – it is always on.

And it only does it on request so doesn’t kill the battery or eat up data allowance.

(Find My Friends works the same way if you have different Apple IDs for some reason).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘iPhone GPS tracker app?’ is closed to new replies.