Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • iPhone GPS in France
  • will
    Free Member

I’m off to France at the weekend and want to use my phone to log my ride data as I usually do, I normally use cyclemeter which is brilliant!

Problem is will this not use my data allowance? I just put the phone in flight mode and tested, and I still got a GPS signal, so I suspect if I do this I wont get charged any extra data costs?

If thats the case I have answered my own question 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you already have the maps preloaded, then your data allowance will be fine. Battery usage will be your only worry I suspect.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if just logging then no bother

highclimber
    Free Member

GPS is free for everyone if you have a GPS enabled receiver!

grievoustim
    Free Member

On long rides using cyclemeter I turn off network data to save battery. It still works fine and dandy

will
    Free Member

Brilliant. Thanks guys 🙂

Frankenstein
    Free Member

@OP,

Go to settings-airplane mode-on on the iphone screen.

It turns wifi and mobile signal off. (You can turn it on again or switch bluetooth or wifi on and leave mobile signal off.)

My Tomtom app has maps preloaded and works fine in good signal areas and outdoors no probs without any data usage otherwise it would the mobile signal for greater accuracy.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Just turn off data roaming. You don’t need to go into airplane mode.

Unless there is a reason why you don’t want to be called.

CountZero

GPS is free for everyone if you have a GPS enabled receiver!

While that’s certainly true, as others have pointed out, it’s the maps that are important, and how you access them. Any mapping ‘ware that relies on ‘net access, like Google, is prohibitably expensive; the maps have to be native, and there are apps that allow you to download and store sections of free maps, or you can buy Viewranger’s app, and buy official French and other maps, and get free maps as well. Viewranger’s as good as it gets, mapping wise.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘iPhone GPS in France’ is closed to new replies.