Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • iPhone – Fire / Melty Content…
  • alexxx
    Free Member

A word of warning to you all.

Don’t buy cheap 3rd party iPhone charger cables off ebay.

If you ever charge your iPhone via USB on a laptop or desktop I’d recommend being near it whilst it’s charging and unplugging it when not… (that’s if you already have a cheap cable).. even better than that – bin it!

This morning whilst at work I noticed a weird smell – turns out my iPhone charger cable was melting before my very eyes.

organic355
    Free Member

was it a USB cable or Firewire?

dawson

lol at organic!

loddrik
    Free Member

Been using cheap iPhone charging cables off eBay for 4 years, had loads of ’em, never had any issues, I suggest you we’re just very unlucky.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Been using cheap iPhone charging cables off eBay for 4 years, had loads of ’em, never had any issues

If you’ve had no issues, why have you had tu buy loads of them???

I’ve had cheap ones too. But they are mostly crap. They fall apart, the plugs don’t fit properly etc. there is a bloke selling what he says are genuine Apple cables at about £3.75. I bought 2 of them and they actually do seem identical to my OE one to be fair. They certainly feel and last a lot better.

alexxx
    Free Member

any links peter?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think this is the guy. £3.25 actually:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=280740562921

alexxx
    Free Member

thanks – his description says the cables come from returned apple products so sounds plausable

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Thats not a pic of an original thats for sure.

Jamie
    Free Member

Off the top of my head I have one in the car, one upstairs, one in the bedroom…etc etc

Usually get the cheaper knock offs as 1) they are cheap, and 2) they are usually better made with stronger reinforcement where the cable goes to the plugs.

alexxx
    Free Member

I got two from this seller apparently from different sources – the first melted and the second the clips bent – looking down into the pin slots you can tell they are cheap and not as good as the original (which has lasted me since a 3g was released so far. I just needed another to keep by side the bed and beside the comp

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

hanks – his description says the cables come from returned apple products so sounds plausable

Yeah, mine both look new to be honest, just in little bags, no fancy packaging

No effing use to me now… Just bought an iP5!! 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

Just bought an iP5!!

You should really get an adapter in the box.

Edit: Missing words located, I was using Apple Maps to find it so it took longer than expected.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

they are usually better made with stronger reinforcement where the cable goes to the plugs.

Mine have been exactly the opposite. One pulled apart after a week or so…..
    These are the 99p ones.
    £3.25 doesn’t break the bank and is faaaaaaar better. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You get an adapter in the box.

No. You don’t. The box is open in front of me.

Adaptors are £25

jam-bo

You get an adapter in the box.

No you dont.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is there an echo in here?

😉

Cougar

Echo in here?

Jamie
    Free Member

…here…here.

daveh
    Free Member

was it a USB cable or Firewire?

Genius! 😆

loddrik
    Free Member

Off the top of my head I have one in the car, one upstairs, one in the bedroom…etc etc

This

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘iPhone – Fire / Melty Content…’ is closed to new replies.