• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • iPhone Cycling App – what do you use?
  • the-muffin-man

As title!

Just wondering which to download to log distance etc., – ideally one that doesn’t drain the battery in an hour!

Cheers.

GrahamS

Endomondo – mainly because I like having a record of rides on their website. Keeps me motivated to ride the commute at a decent pace.

Also:
    CycleStreets is good for finding road/path routes.
    MotionX GPS is good for off-road use and navigation.
    LiveCycling is good for fitness geeks (BPM, cadence etc)

derek_starship
    Free Member

Despite it’s name, I use Runkeeper which has a mountain biking option.It records distance, route, cal’s burned, total climb average speed etc.. And it’s free.

daveb
    Free Member

I use Cyclemeter or Endomondo, both seem pretty good.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Have used Endomondo, and like its layout and sharing ability. Tried Strava too, and it could be good, but most folk I know also use Endo, so stick to that.

hrcmonty
    Free Member

Sports tracker is a Good app, I’ve just moved from Endomondo Back to Sports tracker.

And it’s free too.

GrahamS

most folk I know also use Endo, so stick to that.

Yeah that’s the main reason I use it to. Shame because some of the other apps are better in many ways (MapMyTracks for instance offers much better graphs and analysis if that is your thing) but Endo seems popular and I like the way it auto-uploads once you are done.

nealy
    Free Member

I was tracking with Endomondo but have now switched to Strava, the segments on Strava will really motivate you to push yourself on the climbs…and the descents :D. The elevation on Endomondo was always wrong with loads of false zero heights meaning ridiculous total height climbed. Strava seems to get the elevation right and is consistent plus it seems to use more regular waypoints which is better for the twisty bits. I still like the Endomondo website though so I export the GPX from Strava and import it into Endomondo.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I use viewranger as its the most powerful and feature packed one I’ve found .

zilog6128

Strava as it’s the only one I’ve tried that’s been 100% reliable. Also the KOM feature is awesome.

SiB
    Free Member

Just a bit of a hijack………do you need a pc to use strave or can it all be done on android phone like MyTracks? I’m only asking as I will be using work PC which can cause ‘problems’!

Thanks

jam-bo

Used most of them and all the apps are much the same.

Using strava now as the website has got all the best bits of the others all in one place

the-muffin-man

Cheers all, I’ve downloaded Strava so I’ll give that a go.

It’ll be my first ride in 4 months tonight, and the first ride on my new to me FB road bike!

nealy
    Free Member

Just a bit of a hijack………do you need a pc to use strave or can it all be done on android phone like MyTracks? I’m only asking as I will be using work PC which can cause ‘problems’!

Thanks

Strava saves the ride over air (3G or wifi) to the Strava website so you don’t need to physically connect the phone to a PC for it to work. Most of the ride info is still stored and viewable on the phone though (distance, elevation gain, average speed, max speed, map, segments and achievements)

and the first ride on my new to me FB road bike!

Don’t forget to add your bike in the gear section on the website then 🙂

lunge

In use mapmyride, because it was free. I like Strava as well but I’m a man of habit and stick with mapmyride.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks Nealy, will be using it on way home tonight

docrobster
    Free Member

I tried mapmyride on a recent long road ride on holiday (6 hours)
    Battery died after about 4…

hugor
    Free Member

I think Strava is amazing. Unlike endomondo it works with garmin devices and smartphones.
    The networking and KOM features are great too.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I use runmeter but just downloaded strava to try.

Does it automatically store your rides for others to see or do you have to specially request that?

hugor
    Free Member

If you have a garmin it will upload all your rides. My rides loaded up from 3 years ago!
    You can follow friends then they will be able to see your rides and download the routes too.
    You can also link your rides to FB and places like that for anyone to see.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The pep talks to your mates who are out riding on endomondo are quality!

nealy
    Free Member

I use runmeter but just downloaded strava to try.
    Does it automatically store your rides for others to see or do you have to specially request that?

Yep, you can see anyone’s rides and follow anyone rather send a friend request so its a bit more public than Endomondo. It’s a good idea to set a 100m radius from your home address to hide any of your routes within it for privacy and security.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Think I will stick to runmeter then! Works well enough for me now.

hugor
    Free Member

It’s a good idea to set a 100m radius from your home address to hide any of your routes within it for privacy and security.

Not thought of that – you can publish your bike and components on the site whilst also displaying your home as your ride start point!
    Great app for thieves!

Most of my friends use endomondo but unfortunately it is not compatible with garmin and I don’t use a smartphone.
    I have found the KOM function does push you harder when you know you are entering a timed run.

momo

Always used to use runkeeper, but switched to strava a few weeks ago as thats what all my friends are on now, it’s getting fairly competetive for those KOMs already!

stabilizers

I got myself one of these mainly for the roadbike.Wahoo Bike Pack
    Got the cadence speed, HR and the extended battery. Its pretty good so far. Its fairly ‘chunky’ in size but good kit.
    I tend to use MapmyRide or the Wahoo app. If I am mountain biking I just use the app without any of the other stuff just to show where I have been.

GrahamS

Most of my friends use endomondo but unfortunately it is not compatible with garmin

You can upload GPX files to it from the Garmin. That’s what a mate does.

dobo
    Free Member

i’m using strava at the moment, uploads from gps well too.
    setting an anonymous radius from your home is a good feature and should be on all aps.
    the segments and koms are good too.

cons the website can be slow just like endomondo.. also the editing of data is a bit clunky and anoying.
    The worst is that to get all the features you have to pay..
    oh and the “who to follow” feature is a bit shite, i really dont want to follow some yank roadie i never heard of, need more options to tailor this.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘iPhone Cycling App – what do you use?’ is closed to new replies.