Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • iPhone clip on camera lenses, anyone use them?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I snap a lot, I like photos and over the years my DSLR more often than not runs out of charge for lack of use.. but my iPhone is used multiple times a day snapping.

I’ve been looking at those clip on lenses for iPhones and just wondering if anyone has experience of them, maybe recommend one?

iPhone 6s BTW.

cokie

I’ve got a few for my iPhone.
    The biggest issue is that it doesn’t play ball with my phone case- Otterbox. Ok shots if you take the case off, but I don’t often want to do that in locations where I’m taking these photos. Quality certainly not on par with an SLR, but ok for social media.
    I now mainly use cheapo fisheye clip-on lenses for some novelty photos.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Kai of previous Digital Rev fame recently reviewed the Zeiss offering. You can see it here:

[video]https://youtu.be/-_zN95IObCA[/video]

I can’t offer any personal view myself as the thought of using my phone to take pictures leaves me cold. That’s just a personal thing though, not a judgement.

There are some other interesting concepts around that combine the screen function of the phone with the lens/sensor capture of a smaller device that might be worth considering. The Ricoh Theta was a recent one but that looks like some odd 360 degree lens. Sony also had one.

zilog6128

I bought a cheap one (<£10) a while back to see if the idea was sound. Surprisingly, it worked really well, although the quality is not great obviously and it requires very careful positioning.

As above there are (much) more expensive ones which I’m sure do the job better, might look into it again at some point. There are some that come with a mount so align perfectly with the camera, obviously none will work properly with a case though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

I’ll continue looking then. Pricewise they seem to run form anything £20-£400.. I’d just like to expand upon my iPhones capabilities a bit.. Can’t see any offering form Apple, unless I’m looking in the wrong place..

martymac

I used a sony one when i had an experia phone a few years ago, it worked pretty well, definitely a step up from the camera lens. I can’t remember which one, it connected via nfc, but had its own internal memory card.
    I think it was around £130 (i got it free with the phone)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘iPhone clip on camera lenses, anyone use them?’ is closed to new replies.