Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • iPhone battery replacement – what happened ..
  • DrJ

What happened was that I made an appointment at the Genius Bar and took my phone along this morning. A genius showed up and told me that as my phone’s screen was cracked they would need to replace it at the same time as replacing the battery. In fact I was blissfully unaware that the screen is cracked, and even now it takes me a good deal of scrutiny to locate the tiny crack. Anyway, the whole lot was going to be 210 quid.

As an alternative, he proposed using the wonderful Apple Upgrade Scheme to get a new phone, paid for over 20 months with no interest. With interest rates at 0.25% that would save me a massive amount. Somehow I resisted this offer.

What happened instead was that I went to an independent repair place, paid 40 quid and got a new battery (sans screen) So far so good. It can’t be a worse deal than Apple. I was a bit of a fanboi, but I am rapidly going off them for this cynical view of customer service.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

If you go to Ferrari for a service or Phil and Grants Arches what do you expect?

zilog6128

of course the other way of looking at it is that you just paid £40 for a £7 eBay battery that you could’ve fitted yourself for free! 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

The funny thing with Apple is that they’ll tell you (or at least they did) that their stuff is so optimised for space etc that you can’t really repair them – what they do is take yours out the back, back it up and then squirt the data onto a new (or reconned depending on who tells you) phone from a plain white box, but they do charge for everything that’s broken – so bust home button – £50, new phone, bust screen and battery and screen £210, new phone.

As for the non-Apple repairs, be wary. We use a guy in work who does all the hardware repair for us, he’s EXCELLENT. he fixes the unfixable. He does lots of stuff with phones and tablets. The problem is that all the replacement bits are non-branded and it doesn’t matter if you pay £8 for a screen or £28 some are good, some are bad, but the price doesn’t come into it – luck of the draw, doesn’t help using the same supplier either – total luck.

And there lays the problem – with no brand to protect and price being the only selling point the quality is crap.

I had my iPhone 6 repaired when I dropped it:

The first screen cracked in less than 5 mins, literally I walked out of his office, put it in my pocket, it cracked.

The second got really hot and went through the battery in 2 hours. Sadly he investigated the battery by replacing it – which destroyed the lock button.

By the third screen I was on the 3rd battery and 2nd lock button. It lasted a few months and cracked – they’re nothing like as strong or scratch resistant as the originals.

Fourth screen developed a white mist effect.

Fifth screen was on 20 mins before I boxed it up for it’s new eBay buyer “mint condition”.

Sadly there is probably a great market for non-original, but quality replacement parts, but Apple are so litigious that they can only even be sold unbranded and it’s been a race to zero quality for years.

aracer
    Free Member

I imagine Apple are quite happy if non-original parts are rubbish.

DrJ

of course the other way of looking at it is that you just paid £40 for a £7 eBay battery that you could’ve fitted yourself for free!

That’s true, but I am such a klutz that I would have destroyed the phone completely trying to do that 🙁

P-Jay
    Free Member

I imagine Apple are quite happy if non-original parts are rubbish.

No doubt, but then if I sold things that cost upto £1150, broke if you dropped them and whose owners simply couldn’t live without – I’d do the same.

🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

That’s true, but I am such a klutz that I would have destroyed the phone completely trying to do that

Probably why you’re a DrJ and not a MrJ eh?

😉

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My Father’s iphone 6S was recalled for the battery.

After 2 weeks, the new battery fitted by Apple went berserk and would say fully charged after a few mins charge when flat.

3rd battery ok.

Forget eBay, batteries and screens can be rubbish even when Crapple fit them!

DrJ

Probably why you’re a DrJ and not a MrJ eh?

Ha! As I’ve mentioned before, my name is more about Dr Dre than Dr House 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ha! As I’ve mentioned before, my name is more about Dr Dre than Dr House

Ah yes – is it DrP who’s a real medic or is he another hip-hop aficionado

DrJ

Let’s ask his patients 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Could be both.

Given the amount of time they spend in Uni I always suspect they’d be die-hard Stone Roses fans though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘iPhone battery replacement – what happened ..’ is closed to new replies.