Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • iPhone as GPS?
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

is it possible to download maps for the iphone to use such as a garmin?

with its inbuilt compass i dont see why not….

do any of you guys use one or how do you go about plotting or following maps?

also do you or is there a bracket to fix to the bike to ride with it infront of me?

nick

BoardinBob

Motion X for tracking my routes. Brilliant app and only £1.79 and you can import tracks too.

Surfr
    Free Member

There's many options for mapping GPS on the iPhone. Several support OS maps at 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 as well as other formats. Search around a little on here for in depth threads. Multi tasking in iOS4 now allows me to switch to the camera to take a quick photo without having to pause the GPS now too.

docrobster
    Free Member

There's many options for mapping GPS on the iPhone.

All of them let down by worries about battery life. (for me)
    You'd probably be OK for a couple of hours but I wouldn't want to have to depend on the iPhone for gps on a long ride as when the battery is dead you also have no usable phone.

GrahamS

Yep MotionX here too. Great app. You can load huge areas of OpenStreetMap or OpenCycleMap onto it so it doesn't need a phone signal in the field, and/or it can be online and use either Google or Bing maps.

Actual route navigation is done on a way-out system and works well.

Also with the new OS update it now runs in the background and continues recording your track while you do other stuff.

There is a free Lite version which is fully functional so try that.

I believe there are quite a few other contenders like MemoryMap that offer real OS maps, but they obviously cost a bit more.

GrahamS

For "way-out system" read "waypoint system" – stoopid spellchecker.

Surfr
    Free Member

Regarding battery life, I've been considering something like this for a while

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/4609/mili-powerskin-iphone-battery-charger

sharkbait
    Free Member

They're nice to switch on and check where you are but I'd not use mine for 'proper' routing. As has been said already, once the battery's dead you're in a bit of trouble.
    Overall if your after GPS navigation on a bike you're better off with something like a Garmin eTrex which is much sturdier, pretty waterproof, the batteries last for ages and can be changed simply and quickly.

MrSmith
    Free Member

tried a few mapping type apps.
    runkeeper was o.k but a battery eater.
    currently using everytrail which is much better on the battery, found out i could copy gpx routes and upload them to the website then have the route plotted on the phone. very handy if you sort of know where you are going and need to check if you are on/off the route.
    i only use it for road rides as i know where i'm going off-road.
    just downloaded offmaps which enables you to load up an area via wi-fi so you are not reliant on a 3g signal, not tried it out properly yet though.

Jamie
    Free Member

For "way-out system" read "waypoint system" – stoopid spellchecker.

iOS4 in action eh?

GrahamS

If you are really keen you could always put it in the Magellan ToughCase, which adds a second battery, waterproofing, shockproofing and an enhanced GPS chip:

http://m.gizmodo.com/5559670/magellans-indestructible-waterproof-iphoneipod-toughcase-for-outdoorsmen-and-clumsy-people

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘iPhone as GPS?’ is closed to new replies.