Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • iPhone apps for jobseekers
  • Tiger6791

@DowningStreet: No10: DWP launches free phone apps to help jobseekers find vacancies near them. iPhone: http://bit.ly/bdoWfV Android: http://bit.ly/aNd8Ix

Just got this from my Twitter feed from No10, it seems the goverment seems it a good idea to spend money developing iPhone apps for Jobseekers. Is it just me or does this not seem like a complete waste of money and just vanity on the DWP part?

Or am I just being a snob thinking that market penetration of the iPhone for people on the dole won't actually be that high?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They're just preparing for May the 7th, when many of them will be needing such apps.

porterclough
    Free Member

Well I'm on the dole and writing iPhone apps to fill the time, where do I fit in?

Perhaps I should apply for a job at the DWP?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I couldn't afford an iPhone if I was unemployed…….

Pook

I couldn't afford an iPhone if I was unemployed…….

+1

trail_rat
    Free Member

what jobseekers app for my stolen iphone surely ?

GrahamS

Presumably it also works on the iPod Touch?
    I would imagine market penetration for ipods may be slightly better as there is no expensive on-going contract.

porterclough
    Free Member

Presumably it also works on the iPod Touch?

Yes, same OS. Only difference is lack of camera (not relevant), lack of GPS (can locate itself reasonably accurately via wifi) and lack of 3G (but again you connect to internet via wifi).

Given that they are also producing apps for Android and presumably browser applets for the dumber 'smart' phones too, it does make sense. I would imagine that there are quite a few people that don't own a computer that do own a phone that can connect to the internet.. smartphones aren't going to go away, they're only going to get cheaper and more commonplace (err, pervasive is the buzz word I think).

Although it does look like it's more to be seen doing something than actually sorting out some jobs. Perhaps if the government hadn't encouraged a sham economy based on the city of London's phantom profts and run down the real economy in the rest of the country we wouldn't be in such a sorry state anyway… but that's another thread.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘iPhone apps for jobseekers’ is closed to new replies.