Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • iPhone alternative please
  • richpips
    Free Member

My iPhone has more or less died, this is the second one that has pegged it, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Must have email and a web browser.

Suggestions please.

Ta Rich

jam-bo

iphone 3GS?

GrahamS

What are you doing to them??

If you're physically breaking them then maybe something a bit rugged?

z1ppy

take out some insurance for them….

Solo
    Free Member

An HTC phone, which is what I have, or a BlackBerry ?, I think they call it.

My HTC is a very good phone, although mine doesn't have as slick a finger interface with the display as an iphone. But then again, my one is about 2 years old now. Reckon the newer HTCs are better, developing their "touch-flow" UI.

Solo.

29erKeith
    Free Member

HTC Touch HD's good

or the HTC Dream as and when it's available

toby1

There's a lovely new samsung which has Android on it coming – but you might have to wait a few months for it!

doc_blues
    Free Member

having had HTC phones since they first started doing smartphones back in the early noughties (2002-2003) I have decided that the Touch I have at present is the las t one I will be having. Everyone I have had has had to be replaced at least twice due to buttons going wrong. My Touch constantly loses signal – I live in London FFS, not the remotest part of scotland! Windows mobile is appalingly slow compared to the nice slick apple OS I have so far encountered on my ipod tocuh. Not sure if this years batch are any better – I have only had this one since september last year – just a warning on quality.

I am currently yearning to go back to a nice simple 'phone' – thats it, just a phone to make calls and texts on. Have a decent small camera (no phone camera can yet give the quality I want), and have switched all my email/contacts and planner to google mail from outlook (since I found out my boss was looking at my outlook calender at work) which I can access via my ipod or if out and about my netbook and wirless network/mobile dongle

something small, that doesnt break and isnt bogged down with lots of fancy pants crapola – a shame psion didnt make phones or arent still around – I loved my 5mx (apart from the b/w screen of course)

29erKeith
    Free Member

Doc, agreed WindowsMobile is't perfect, TouchFlow3Ds better though
    I've had 4 htc's, personnaly never had and hardware/signal problems

I'm really looking forward to the Dream though, main 'cos it's Android
    and I recon it should be mature enough now so will look very closly at that once it's out

richpips
    Free Member

What are you doing to them??

If you're physically breaking them then maybe something a bit rugged?

In both phones, it's been a hardware failure.

take out some insurance for them….

I should not need to insure against a phone working for a year. Fit for purpose and all that.

Wanders off to look at HTC phones. 🙂

29erKeith
    Free Member

btw i meant htc Hero thats the new one i was thinking of not dream

brant
    Free Member

Very pleased with my really quite sensible E71. Sportstracker is ace, push email via Nokia thingy, Joikuspot for wifi hotspot generator (can use my MacBook at Lee Quarry :-))

Little screen, but gets things done. Nice Twitter app. Etc.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I went for a Nokia E75 as a work phone after considering the 3GS – it does pretty much exactly what I want, although I'd prefer a higher res camera after using an N95 for a while. I looked at the 3GS (contract too long) N97 and Nokia 5800 as well, and all had their faults. The N97 seemed pretty chunky, and build quality / feel didn't seem to be all that, either. Plus it was as if, if not more expensive, than a 3GS.

Mind you, my employer pays for my mobile bills, so my main concern is contract length, rather than expense. Other things were Exchange email capability and a good web browser. I still picked up an E75 for £39 a month for 12 months on Vodafone, however.

GrahamS

In both phones, it's been a hardware failure.

That could be anything. If you were getting them wet, too hot/cold, subject to vibrations, magnetic fields etc then it would still be a "hardware failure".

Most smart phones just aren't all that durable IME.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Blackberry user here, one work, one personal.

Work – Pearl – Great battery life, poor screen and browser
    Personal – New Curve – superb screen, great battery life, great browser and it's Wifi compatible, takes big memory cards as a back up MP3 player, camera's average.

Very impressed overall with the Curve.

glenh
    Free Member

I have an HTC dream (Google G1) with Google Android. It's ace and just as good as an iphone imo (each are better at some things, worser than others of course).

The new HTC hero is even better – faster and better software (doesn't have the hardware keyboard of the G1 though).
    Oh, and it has a flash capable browser too, which the iphone doesn't.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I've had an HTC Magic for a few weeks now, which runs on Android. Before that I had a Blackberry Pearl, which was utter rubbish in comparison. The Magic is ace, seems to work flawlessly and has millions of free apps to download. Can't get TomTom on it like the Windows mobile based HTC's though.

Yesterday, I downloaded something called How Steep, which measures the steepness of the slope you've just rolled down. That's going to see some use in the Alps 😉

doc_blues
    Free Member

mmm I had forgotten about the android phones…the geek in me could be tempted by them…

think I must have been unlucky with the HTC phones I have had – they have all developed faults. I like the touch flow on my touch but its just not as good as the apple implementation (especially when the phone clogs up as it doesnt shut down apps properly)- think its mainly hte windows problems which bug me

Solo
    Free Member

Err, so am I reading this correctly ?, HTC phones are migrating away from Windows mobile, to another OS ??.

I put up with Windows Mobile (not too bad IMO) so that I can run TomTom and Memory Map…

Solo

maxray
    Free Member

My N82 has been really good, first time I am considering getting another when my contract runs out as its failry scuffed etc now.

wifi, gps, 3.2mp camera with a carl zeiss lens 6gig micro sd card.

buttons a bit fiddly when wearing gloves and it can be heavy on its battery if yo uhave lots of apps open.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Brant

Very pleased with my really quite sensible E71. Sportstracker is ace

it's wick, isn't it? stick a couple of your route links up – i want to know where some of these secret yorkshire trails are!

Michael-B
    Free Member

I’d never heard of Nokia Sports tracker looks cool thanks Brant 😀

glenh
    Free Member

Hey, thanks for the How Steep app tip RichPenny!

Solo
    Free Member

RichPenny.

I'm not sure what Android is, I've just had a quick surf for it.

I'm now wondering, did your HTC come to you with Android already installed, ie, by the OEM, or network provider ?.

Solo.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Android is the Google mobile O/S, integrates with Googlemail, maps and the like. It's open source, based on linux I believe. Mine is tied to voda, I think there's another variant tied to O2? Hero?

You won't get memorymap or tomtom to work with it, unless they release them as compatible apps. From what I can see (and I could be blowing out my ass) there's almost no pc integration. All apps are loaded on the mobile, but there are loads of really useful free ones. I've installed about 50 so far, spent £1.25 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

RichPenny.

Thanks for the info. Sounds enticing, but from my five minutes surfing, so far. Doesn't sound as if I'm going to dive in just yet.

I've got my touch-cruise set-up just as I like it, I get GPS, WiFi and web, streaming, etc, all the usual, and it all works fine on Windows 6.1.

But that doesn't mean that I'm not always open to "improvements".

Cheers.

Have a good weekend all.

Solo

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The new HTC Touch Diamond II is excellent. Cures all the issues with the old version. The new Touch Flo interface is better and quicker, and will be even more so when Windows Mobile 6.5 comes out in 2 months. Buy one now and you can upgrade to 6.5 when available – this will make it even quicker and give it better battery life. So easy to sync with the PC, and you can run Office Mobile, including Outlook, on it

HTC are not migrating to Android – they are putting a foot in both camps by having both Windows Mobile and Android OS's. Most manufacturers except Nokia (who effectively own Symbian) have more than one OS on their phones

fubar
    Free Member

I was looking for an Iphone alternative and now I'm about to buy an iPhone !?

If I didn't 'need' the 32GB storage (music collection) then I would be buying the new HTC Hero from Orange (i.e. an Android phone)…only downside for me was that it takes memory cards and 32GB cards are not available yet. There is a Samsung android phone (i7500 / Galaxy – expected on o2) coming with 8GB internal memory and can take memory card (so total 24GB) but I think it's RAM (128MB) and processer is of a lower spec than the HTC android phones.
    There is the Nokia N97 …32GB, built-in FM tranmitter for sending tunes to the car radio, slide-out keyboard…BUT…I've played with it a couple of times and the touch-screen is just not anywhere near as responsive / accurate as an iPhone.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘iPhone alternative please’ is closed to new replies.