• This topic has 39 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • iPhone 7 – worth it from 6?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My contract is up on my 6 and I can get a 7 for the same cost per month, moving from 16GB to 32GB and getting 5gb of data as opposed to 2gb

Any reason not to move?

No haters please 🙂

jimdubleyou

If the 6 is still ok battery wise, I would keep it until the 8 comes out in 9/10 months time. Rumours already saying it’s going to be something special.

jam-bo

No massive improvements. It’s a bit nicer, waterproof etc. If I paid my own bill I probably wouldn’t have botheredz

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wait for the 8, I am.

kiwijohn

Another waiting for the 8 here.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Looking at the 8 it will be September next year it is out, and then a few months after that before deals start to filter through 🙁 does look good though !

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

The next one in the 10year anniversary phone…
    I’m waiting for that too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per above, I have a 6 and am waiting for an 8. I didn’t think the 7 offered that much. My recommendation is to go onto either a 12 month sim only contract or rolling monthly sim only. I pay £18 for unlimited data (4G), calls and texts (this deal from 3 may no longer be available). Don’t keep the phone and pay the same. Get it unlocked. FWIW I looked at the numbers and decided to buy my phone outright from Apple Store, imo the key thing is what you believe you can sell it for after say 2 years.

“Deals” Just buy it at retail when it’s announced, ime deals on Apple phones aren’t that great as they can sell them in the millions at full price.

LMT
    Free Member

Will it be an 8 next year or a 7s?

rocketman
    Free Member

Optical zoom is good

Home button is weird

bikebouy
    Free Member

Plenty of teaser shots on t’net of the 8.

njee20
    Free Member

I changed from a 6 to a 7, same as you, same monthly cost, £205 back for selling my 6, and no upfront cost for the 7 when EE were having some sale or other.

It’s nice, not life changing, but I didn’t want life changing, I know I like iPhones, you won’t be surprised by anything!

There’ll always be another one just around the corner (or at least within 364 days), and according to some rumours it’ll always be a revolution.

One minor irritation is that I’ve already lost the Lightning-3.5mm headphone adapter. They’re not that expensive on Amazon though.

Plenty of teaser shots totally random Photoshopped guesses on t’net of the 8.

FTFY

johndoh
    Free Member

I would assume it will be an 8 as it’s the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone coming out. They might even do a Windows and miss out a number or two and go straight for an iPhone Ten. If next year’s model doesn’t shake up the market and be something entirely new then I think Apple will be dead in the water.

jimdubleyou

then I think Apple will be dead in the water.

Yeah, right.

They have more cash in the bank that a few small countries – I think they will be ok.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, right.

They have more cash in the bank that a few small countries – I think they will be ok.

I don’t mean they will go under next week or anything, but they are quickly losing their reputation as innovators and they need to do something.

But just look at others – Blackberry, Nokia etc – stand still and you’re going backwards…

agent007
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother at the moment – no headphone jack for me is a dealbreaker. Sure you can use Bluetooth but it massively decreases battery life.

Daffy

I’ve handled a few and wasn’t impressed. Feels less nice to hold than my 6S and other than being waterproof (which I don’t need) seems to offer nothing. This will be the first model of I phone that I very much doubt I’ll buy. Shame.

core

Sim only and wait.

Just gone SIM only on vodafone, unlimted calls & texts, 5gb 4G data (way more than I need living in a rural area with virtually no mobile data) includes some roaming data and calls. £15 per month. 12 month contract, but after 3 I could ‘upgrade’ to a fresh 24 month contract to include a phone, with no penalty to pay.

I’m a staunch android man, but last 2 android phones (Samsung) have virtually died (battery/turning off randomly issues) well before 2 yrs contract up and no recourse with Samsung or vodafone. Other half is on 3rd or 4th iphone and never had an issue, they just seem to work, and importantly for me the back-up facility in itunes/cloud is really good if you knacker the phone. So I’m having her 6 when she upgrades.

craig24
    Free Member

Got my iPhone 7 coming today, same boat as yourself. I’ll grab an iPhone 8 in 24 months, not hanging on for nearly a year just to wait and see.

cozz
    Free Member

I got a 7, on a day to day basis, I don’t notice any difference over the 6 it replaced

just upgraded to get a better battery life and because it is waterproof

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got a 7, I had a 6.

I get mine from work, my 6 was on it’s arse so I needed a new one, the changes are small and none of them really *needed*.

Screen is a bit sharper.
    Virtual Click Button is cool.

It’s waterproof-ish which is actually useful now I think about it.

But it cost £700!! That’s stupid money.

jam-bo

I’ve handled a few and wasn’t impressed. Feels less nice to hold than my 6S

they are practically identical other than the lack of headphone socket.

jambalaya
    Free Member

But it cost £700!! That’s stupid money.

It is stunning that many of us (me included) are spending £700 on something which didn’t really exist 15 years ago. Top of the range Samsung are the same money and a friend just broke her Samsung screen and it’s £250+ even if you can get a spare (which she cannot at the moment)

@njee what was the actual process ? Get phone unlocked ? Sold where (ebay / friend / … ) ?

jam-bo

It is stunning that many of us (me included) are spending £700 on something which didn’t really exist 15 years ago

we spent it on call and text costs instead.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hmm decisions

£9 for EE to unlock my phone, and then I can get a 12 month contract with 3 for £14pm.

A new battery wouldn’t bee to expensive either if needed.

or a shiny new 7….

What network do 3 piggy back on?

jimdubleyou

What network do 3 piggy back on?

Their own…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutchison_3G#United_Kingdom

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have a 7 plus and I think it is definitely better than my old 6s Plus. The battery lasts longer and the depth effect and 2x zoom on the camera are really good. The best bit is the waterproofing though. No more ikea sandwich bags for me when I go for a ride in the rain. The only negative is the new button doesn’t work well with some gloves. The headphone port is not an issue and was completely blown out of proportion my the media. I have had every Iphone since the 3s and everyone has been excellent.
    Its a brilliant phone but cant say its worth an upgrade over a 6 but then no phones are a revolution anymore just an evolution. Imagine if they were a revolution. Some people would instantly explode as we cant even cope with a small change like the removal of the headphone plug.

doris5000

one nice thing about 3 is that you can get data at UK prices when abroad. Not in every country, but it’s quite a decent list…

just5minutes
    Free Member

I went from a 6 to a 7 because I love taking photos and the 7 was apparently going to be loads better for most photos – especially in low light.

In reality I can’t really see any improvement in photo quality and it’s still useless in low light compared to the Xperia Z1 I had 3 years ago.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I thought the iPhone 7 launch was one of the best launches Apple have had recently, but when I actually got a 7 in my hand it was quite underwhelming. The smoke and mirrors were great 🙂

If it were me I’d hang on. I have a 6 and I see nothing in the 6S or 7 that makes me want to upgrade; I’m more tempted by the SE! I also think the lack of headphone port is a huge deal and part of me hopes it will come back. Why is it a huge deal? It prevents me from using my iPhone to listen to music/podcasts in the car without investing a new stereo or some other Bluetooth device that may or may not work.

footflaps

I went from a 6 to 6s last week and the camera is certainly a nice improvement. The whole lack of headphones thing put me off the 7, plus it was another £100.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Three. Check reception where you live / usually visit via website tool. I get 4G everywhere I am normally as the free Europe data (3g only) is very useful for me.

Buy the unlock and if battery is ok leave it but an Apple store will run a test with a booked genius bar appointment. A new battery will enhance resale. The phone is worth £200+ still as njee says.

jonnyboi

my 5S is slowly dying, battery life is crap and the charging jack only works with one random lead.

I’m at the point where I have to upgrade or spend money on an old phone, but have no real love for the 7, was looking at the 5SE but for the price I may as well just stump for the new model.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ a battery is £30 just had one fitted into a 5 at a small concession (have bought ebay batteries for a 4 in past but wanted a better job). Charging hard to address, dirty contacts ? Buy a second hand 6 for £200 ?

CountZero

8. It’ll be a complete redesign, not an incremental upgrade.

lorax

jonnyboi – Member
    my 5S is slowly dying, battery life is crap and the charging jack only works with one random lead.

Have you tried cleaning out the power socket? I had the same problem on my previous phone, but miraculously fixed it with a toothpick!

njee20
    Free Member

@njee what was the actual process ? Get phone unlocked ? Sold where (ebay / friend / … ) ?

Yep, Vodafone unlock any phone out of contract. Then send to Mazuma. Easier than selling on here/eBay, no chancers and no need to send headphones/charger with it.

we spent it on call and text costs instead.

Absolutely! I spent way more than £400/year 15 years ago. Contracts weren’t much cheaper and 10p/text soon added up. Considering what I do with my phone now, residual value etc, i don’t think it’s bad at all!

CountZero

Wouldn’t bother at the moment – no headphone jack for me is a dealbreaker. Sure you can use Bluetooth but it massively decreases battery life.

So use the Lightning adaptor then. I’m using a cheap one on my 6+, with a new pair of £180 Mee Pinnacle P1 canalphones, and to my amazement the adaptor actually makes a difference to the sound! Mine was around £6, and doesn’t allow the remote switch to work, but it was an experiment anyway. I leave the adaptor permanently attached to the ‘phones, having the adaptor on takes a lot of stress off of the main headphone plug, but it actually has a d/a chip built in, and the sound is significantly louder.
    This isn’t just a matter of perception, it’s clear from the display, too; when I turn up the volume, you get the little bar which turns yellow and red at the end, as the volume is pushed higher.
    With the Lightning adaptor, the volume bar stays white no matter how loud you turn it up: it seems to bypass the normal limiting built into the software.
    And there’s greater clarity, and detail to the music too, something that may well be not be apparent through cheap phones, but my Pinnacles are very detailed, with real bass extension, and doing direct side-by-side comparisons swapping from standard jack to Lightning adaptor really shows a clear improvement.
    I might well get one of the official Apple ones, to allow the use of the remote.

AlasdairMc

A battery for any iPhone is under a tenner on eBay. Everything up to the 5 shape is pretty easy to replace as it’s purely removing and replacing components, whereas the 6 onwards introduces glue and the need for a hairdryer to remove it.

However, YouTube is full of instructional videos and it’s not too difficult a task.

P-Jay
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

8. It’ll be a complete redesign, not an incremental upgrade.

Sauce?

Even internet rumours days before a launch are usually wrong or vague lucky hunches.

Whether it’s a slightly faster 7s, 8 or superbangwizbang 10 no one outside of Apple really knows, and as for so much newness, what’s left to do? Smaller? What’s the point, we’ve long passed the peak of that – they’re as small or big as anyone would want. Thinner? Not unless they’re going to want lots of bent phone horror stories again or they’ll weigh twice as much – faster, more powerful? My 7 supposedly has twice the RAM of my 6, perceivable difference to end user? Tiny to none.

Yeah they’ll come up with an Apple ‘game changer’ aka a next to useless gimmick or slight redesign of something others have had for years, but the days of noticeable improvements are over. The next one might come with a fancy special name and a new case but if it does it will only to stop everyone noticing it’s a slightly polished copy of the last one.

Not that it will hurt them, between hardware failure and dubious software upgrades to ‘old’ hardware we’ll still need a new one every 2 years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 7 – worth it from 6?’ is closed to new replies.