Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • iPhone 7
  • DavidB
    Free Member

I have all my music on an ipod touch 64Gb which is soon to run out of space. I’m an Apple music subscriber so can’t really leave the Apple ecosystem.

I also hate my current Android phone. So thinking of going back to an iPhone. The 7 looks good for me, waterproof, good camera and the 128Gb model would do me fine for music.

Dithering at the moment between a contract which is easier on my current stretched budget or an outright purchase which is too big a dent on the savings. Anyone know of a way of getting one super thrifty like that does not involve burglary?

nickdavies

SE? Mines up now and I’m not going for a 7, just too expensive.
    Tempted by the 128gb SE, better battery life, cheaper, space for music and a return to a size that will actually fit in your pocket.

bamboo
    Free Member

Buy it on a 0% credit card?

DavidB
    Free Member

That’s not a bad shout. Hadn’t thought of the SE and it seems on a par camera wise.

But maybe not as waterproof

jimdubleyou

Apple do a hire purchase scheme themselves now, comes with free apple care if you need that sort of thing.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Drac

return to a size that will actually fit in your pocket.

Can’t say I’ve struggled with a 6 or 7.

OP there are a few deals out there for the 7 and some better ones if you get a reconditioned one on a contract.

wilburt
    Free Member

£40 a month minimum for a Iphone 7 on contract. £15 of that for the contract slo £25 for the phone.

£25 x 24 = £600 for the handset which to me seems a lot for last years model(without a freaking headphone jack).

Superficial
    Free Member

There are quite a few speed test videos that suggest that the 6S is pretty speedy, even compared to the 8. It’s definitely worth considering, although the waterproofing on the 7 would be vaguely useful to me (though the headphone jack thing is annoying).

The SE is similar to the 6S I think, but without 3D Touch and a slightly worse camera.

P.S. If all your music is in Apple Music, why do you need 128Gb of storage? It’s all in the Cloud. Save some cash and go 64 (or even 32)?

P.P.S. Amazon are knocking out Apple Refurb phones at the moment. Worth a look. I’m contemplating a 6S myself.

Drac
    rossburton
    Free Member

I just got a 6S from the Argos outlet on eBay for £100 less than RRP and it’s literally as-new.

Fast enough (moving from a 5, so a lot faster than that), proper headphone socket. I can live without waterproofing.

The SE has the same insides as the 6S, just in a 5-style case. How a smaller screen means £100 off I don’t know.

barney
    Free Member

If you hunt around you can get a brand new 7 on a 2 year contract and the only extra cost above buying the phone outright is £30 or so. I found one with mobiles.co.uk. Best of luck 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m a relatively recent convert to the Apple universe. Always had android but with the trend towards carrying round the equivalent of a wide screen TV I wanted something smaller but without sacrificing performance. Switched to the SE and absolutely love it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ive been looking at SE / 7 / 8

SE with 64 + RAM is too similar to the price of a 7 with 128 RAM on contract ie cheapest I’ve seen a 7 128 is £38 for 8gb data

I’m waiting for the X to come out and see if that knocks down prices of others

I’ve currently got a 6 and the latest iOS update has definitely slowed it down, not by much but enough for it to improve apples sale figures 😈

rocketman
    Free Member
    jam-bo

P.S. If all your music is in Apple Music, why do you need 128Gb of storage? It’s all in the Cloud. Save some cash and go 64 (or even 32)?

its not always cloudy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have all my music on an ipod touch 64Gb which is soon to run out of space. I’m an Apple music subscriber so can’t really leave the Apple ecosystem.

If you’re an Apple Music subscriber (I am) then you simply don’t need any space on the phone, it just streams everything. I used to have 64gb nearly full, last time I looked I had nearly half of that empty. The phone has shuffled all the music off somewhere… 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You can’t stream if you don’t have signal though !

GrahamS

eBay!

iPhone SE 64GB is currently going for £180-200 at BuyItNow prices. Less if you are prepared to stalk auctions.

But maybe not as waterproof

Really pleased with my SE. Battery lasts very well (often at >80% at the end of the day). Lack of waterproofness is the only slight downside for me.

The really should do an updated SE that has the guts of the 8 in a smaller form factor and is waterproof.

DavidB
    Free Member

Wot FunkyDunc said. I don’t always have a good signal and spend a lot of time abroad.

Daffy

DavidB – Member
    Wot FunkyDunc said. I don’t always have a good signal and spend a lot of time abroad.

Spotify Premium allows you to download albums. I decide in the morning (hotel wifi when abroad) what I want to listen to, download it then delete them at the end of the trip. Easy and only £5 a month.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve currently got a 6 and the latest iOS update has definitely slowed it down, not by much but enough for it to improve apples sale figures

This is definitely true and combined with the headphone debacle I’m considering one of the new Sony Compact phones. Just not sure about Android though, the software update process seems a bit iffy on them too.

hammyuk
    Free Member

WTF is the “issue” with the headphone port (or lack of)
    You get given an adapter with the phone
    There are any number on amazon/eBay that allow music and/or charging, etc for pennies.

Besides – just put whichever one you want in a Lifeproof case and it’s fully waterproof then and perfect when you decide to sell it on later.

wilburt
    Free Member

So I spend £600 on a phone and have to buy an adaptor from ting tong cables to charge whilst listening. I need to have several or carry one everywhere

What happens when I’m travelling and dont have the adaptor?

Why not just put a bloody headphone jack on the phone?

I think youre letting apple love shade your judgement.

jam-bo

airpods

GrahamS

just put whichever one you want in a Lifeproof case and it’s fully waterproof

That would mean buying a £70 case for my £200 phone!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Yet you’ll spend £200 on a cassette, £100 on pedals, etc, etc ,etc… with a zero chance of a return when selling

Drac

What happens when I’m travelling and dont have the adaptor?

Why would you not have one?

I think youre letting apple love shade your judgement.

It’s not just Apple

GrahamS

Okay hammy, but those are consumables. They are designed to be worn out in use.

By this point in electronic evolution, phones should really be waterproof without needing to add-on bulky expensive cases.

The iPhone 7 has finally got there, but really it has been pretty obvious this was a desirable feature ever since people started dropping their first gen iphones down the loo.

When Apple starting fitting those moisture indicators to phones that should have been the point where they went “Hmm.. maybe we should make this waterproof..”

So yeah, I’d love to see an updated SE with newer guts and waterproof.

joefm

Just got an 8. Coming back to apple after being on android and always wishing I had an apple.

Could not find a deal that made buying upfront worth it as contracts with any decent amount of data seem to be too much and bring the total price similar to the total price of a 24 month contract and phone.

Basically it works out at 0%.

The SE has some good deals about though.

wilburt
    Free Member

I have small ear buds for listening to podcasts in bed.
    On ears with a good mike for work.
    Sports earphones for running.
    High quality headphones for music.

Replacing that lot with bluetooth would cost more than the phone and be a constant charging hassle.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why not just keep the headphone dongle that comes with the phone permanently plugged onto your headphone jack… or is that too much effort? or just get some blue tooth headphones? Hardly a major inconvenience. Unbelievable how much of a hullabaloo has been made of this. It’s like the Apple haters have got bored of whinging about the lack of expandable memory when they realise it actually doesn’t matter, and not looking for another chink to desperately grasp onto to have a go at. I can’t say the lack of waterproofness has been an issue for me so not a major bugbear, but I guess necessity is the mother of invention.

The SE makes a compelling option but I find with my ageing eyes the iphone 5/SE form is too small and the screen too low res. If anything my 5 is going to be replaced with a 6plus or 7plus. They’re so thin they fit in the pocket just as well without being uncomfortable or giving you any unsightly bulges – maybe unless you’re in skinny jeans and I can’t carry off skinny jeans, and the bigger battery and longer life will be useful too.

They’re expensive but my 5 has lasted years, I’ve lost count of how many years I’ve had it so even at today’s higher prices if the phone lasts as long then £600 or £700 is worth it given my phone is the one item I continually have on me and use almost constantly. Infinitely better value that a mountain bike costing several thousands of pounds that only gets a few hours use a week.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m hardly an Apple hater I’ve had every phone theyve ever made.

Excuse me if I dont repeat the reasons your solutions arent solutions just go back and read the previous posts.

bikebouy
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member
    Why not just keep the headphone dongle that comes with the phone permanently plugged onto your headphone jack… or is that too much effort? or just get some blue tooth headphones? Hardly a major inconvenience. Unbelievable how much of a hullabaloo has been made of this

Narp , I disagree.

The headphone jack is a simple ‘ting innit. It allows us lot who have already bought some swanky headphones to plug direct into a headphone socket where it’s secure and doesn’t wobble, nor need to go through an additional bit of wobbly plastic that needs to be carted 4/5ths around the countryside, wobble, inevitably break leaving the power jack damaged, and think of the carbon footprint if nothing else.

It’s a stupid step up it’s own posterior that Apple created, quite rightly they’ve been called out on it and yet ignore those of us that don’t want to go through buying decent headphones all over again… innit.

It’s why I ignored the 7, it’s another reason I’m dithering over an 8..

Think it’s a hullabaloo all you like, makes sod all diference to me what opinion you have. At its simplest terms me and my mates think it’s an inconsiderate user requirement to omit the headphone jack..

GrahamS

The SE makes a compelling option but I find with my ageing eyes the iphone 5/SE form is too small and the screen too low res

Size I can understand, but the screen resolution is the same 326ppi “Retina” as the iPhone 5/6/7/8?

jimdubleyou

Size I can understand, but the screen resolution is the same 326ppi “Retina” as the iPhone 5/6/7/8?

Does “zoomed” mode work on the SE screen?

Drac

and think of the carbon footprint if nothing else.

Really? 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Exactly, ridiculous isn’t it making more plastic to be binned when broken.

prawny

wilburt – Member

Replacing that lot with bluetooth would cost more than the phone and be a constant charging hassle.
    One of these do you?

I’m no apple fanboy, and I’m considering swapping to a Galaxy S8. I’ve got a Samsung Tablet at the moment too but I honestly cant remember the last time I plugged anything into my phone, in fact my current iphone 6 might never have had anything plugged into it and that’s three years old.

Wireless headphones are the best things ever, for everything.

Except airpods, apologies, I know a few on here have got them, but they make you look like a dick.

jairaj

wilburt – Member

I don’t have pair but know a few people who do and from their feedback I think you can replace all off those apart from the high quality with the ear pods. And just leave the high quality headphones always plugged into the adaptor so you don’t loose it.

wilburt
    Free Member

I don’t like the AirPods, I would lose them within a week.

I have some very nice Sennheisers for talking and listening to conference calls which are the only thing I have ever found with a good microphone that is clear for my voice but doesnt also pick up a lot of background noise.

I have explored all the options because I would rather stick with Apple, there are no solutions that are less hassle (for me, others may have different requirements) than moving to an Android phone.

I was hoping Apple would come to their senses with the 8 but they are obviously saving enough by not fitting a jack and feels they wont lose many customers like me.

Time will tell, Is suspect quite a few where holding out to upgrade from a 6/6s who now may think otherwise.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 7’ is closed to new replies.