Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • iPhone 6 plus – worth it?
  • Kryton57

I have a second non work 5s with a £12 sim in it, and am thinking of giving the iPad to the kids. Now, I do have a work phone 5s which has just been subjected to MDM, so I want remove my personal stuff.

Would a 6 plus work as a phone but double as a usuable iPad or is it really a faux pas in that regard ~ your experience?

Drac

I have a 6 and 6+ the 6+ is no way an iPad replacement it’s big but not big enough for that.

bearnecessities

Occasionally, just occasionally, you can tell Drac has access to some grade A meds.

loddrik
    Free Member

Going to trade my 6 for a 6 Plus tomorrow morning. It’s the battery life I’m after really. Plus how big is too big? Everytime I pick one up in the apple store they feel so darned impressive. I have size envy which I must address.

Sandwich

I use mine as a tablet when away. The bigger screen size is a boon when your eyesight starts to go wonky. In landscape format there’s enough text the right size to make reading a pleasure again.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have barely used my iPad since having a 6plus. So much so I don’t know where my iPad is. It’s definitely not a replacement but does everything I need.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Too big for an everyday phone and not big enough to replace a tablet.

Kryton57

My use would be similar to Sandwixh – standby phone, text, email, occasional FB, Twitter, photos diary and STW.

The days to say phone in my pocket will be my work phone.

barkm
    Free Member

took a punt, and love it. It isn’t too big at all, mine lives in my pocket don’t even know its there, I like the landscape mode, screen, photo and most of all battery life. I travel a lot, and happier taking this around with me than a tablet.

ventana_craig
    Free Member

Hope you enjoy it

Frankers
    Free Member

I found the 6Plus too big, it was frustrating not being to text one handed.

sandal100

I have barely used the iPad since getting my 6+, I also like the 1080p screen for watching films. Useful for when I’m working…. If you’re going to get one get at least 64GB to make it properly useful.

deviant
    Free Member

They’re great, with more and more media being consumed on mobile devices it took Apple long enough to catch on and produce a serious phone for watching videos, tv etc….given that their business model is based on the iTunes store and lockimg you into purchasing through that I always thought it daft they didn’t offer a decent sized screen, the 3.5 inch screen on the phones up to the iPhone 4s were becoming a joke compared to the viewing experiences on Android devices that had already gone to 5 inches or more.

My other half loves hers, I’m still using a 5s as it fits better in all my cycling gear but I can see myself switching to one of the 5 inch screen waterproof Motorola or Sony devices so I don’t have to bother with otterbox cases, lifeproof products etc…

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I have a 6 and since getting it to replace my 4S I do reach for the iPad less. However I don’t think a 6+ would be an iPad replacement though. Once I got used to the size of the 6 I wished I’d gone for a 6+ Having originally thought it would be too big

tomhoward

Love mine, like others have said, it doesn’t replace an iPad, but I do find I’m using mine less (I’ll watch films on it, and take it on holiday, but not on long train journeys like I used to).

Drac

I found the 6Plus too big, it was frustrating not being to text one handed.

Ahhhhh! You have a woman’s hand.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im with Frankers, I even ditched my 6 and went back to my 5.

iolo
    Free Member

It’s a great phone. I had one problem with bloody awful camera but Apple were aware. It’s currently away getting a new camera installed on a recall.

CaptainSlow

Have you read the MDM T&Cs?

Is it possible you are over reacting?

CaptainSlow

Outside the edit window but just to add….

Have you read your IT policy on MDM? In it you should see exactly what they will be tracking and what features they intend to enable.
    Also worth bearing in mind the sandbox nature of apple means there are limits to what MDM can see on your device (unless forced through their VPN).

Either way as with any employer provided device if you’re doing anything on it or with it that would cause you or your mum embarrassment you are likely in breach of their policy.

HTH (unless you are using MDM as justification with your wife to buy a new toy in which case carry on ;))

iamtheresurrection

You might want to wait a week, they are likely announcing updated phones on the 9th September…

Kryton57

Well in hindsight…. I should perhaps state I am referring to an iPad mini – not full sized iPad. With regard to the MDM, it was trying to install my work email on my iPad min that started the issues – I couldn’t due to the fact I’d have to install he MDM Software and therefore introduce the tracking of my personal activity on it to my work. The T&C’s of the MDM include device tracking, and the ability to control which apps are installed on the devices, but also potential monitoring – after warning – of any inflammatory content posted regarding my employer.

Now, I don’t have too much reason to worry about the above but would like to enjoy my personal devices without prejudice. I should state that I have a personal 5s which is languishing in a drawer with a £8 per month SIM in it. I do have FB and Twitter (and use browser stuff) on the work phone.

So my thoughts were to remove all personal content from the work phone, “upgrade” my 5s to a 6 plus, pass the iPad mini to the kids for the educational stuff and a few games, and use my new 6 plus as single go to personal media device and non work phone. I’m also easily distracted so could do without fb etc notifications on my work phone.

notwithstanding this will cost me £700 notes unless EE can give me a decent upgrade offer on the personal 5s.

Make sense? I’m not sure it does.

CaptainSlow

It makes sense. I won’t use my iPad for work as I have an MBA and 6 for that.

Regarding the inflammatory bit. If you’re caught slagging off your employer on social media you’re in breach of your HR policy regardless of device. Plenty of muppets get the chop these days through slagging off colleagues or bosses on FB.

MDM policy reading is quite an eye opener. Reading how your employer will implement it is the important bit. Checking my phone, location is dis and no vpn running so they can’t see photos or read imsg. Having said that, as its a corp device I don’t do anything with it that would cause me, the company or my family any level of discomfort.

Back on topic though. I really wouldn’t use my iPad for work especially if it need MDM but this is more of a keeping work and fun separate thing.

I’d wait a month or two though as the next wave of idevices will be launched very soon

Kryton57

Righto. I should point out that despite the Apple content I’m not amiss to Android device suggestions either – although I’ve never used one. The secondary bit that got me thinking was ease of which a can driver used a large screen Samsung with goggle maps on the dash as a sat nave the other day.

CaptainSlow

Have a feel of em in the store (oo er). I’ve just got a standard 6 and its massive compared to the 4s in replaced. Hate the location of the sleep button and hoping I’ll get used to it.
    6plus/Samsung phablet must be very 80s to call on

Kryton57

I seem to be very decisive today which is unusual for me.

I’m deleting the personal stuff of the work phone and bought a Logitech “folio” ultralight keyboard case* for my iPad mini for keyboard warrior-ing on.

Job done, £650 spend avoided.

*my iPad keeps falling out of it original case and I wanted a keyboard anyway.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Job done, £650 spend avoided delayed

8)

Time to surf bike sites for some upgrades!

Kryton57

Lol! See bike forum…

loddrik
    Free Member

Just got mine. It really is big!!! No chance of one handed use whatsoever.

CustardCream

One handed use no problem.

Tap the button twice and the display will lower to the bottom half of the screen.
    You can then use one hand.

They’ve though of everything…

loddrik
    Free Member

Nope. If you have girly hands like me the Reachability feature is only partly useful as my thumbs still can’t reach the other side of the screen. Two handed use is fine though.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 6 plus – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.