• This topic has 26 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • iPhone 6 or Xperia Z3
  • russianbob
    Free Member

My iPhone 5S has died. I have a lot of Apple products (Macs, TV, ipods, iphones, ipads) but am being lured by the waterproofness and camera of the Xperia as well as the PS4 remote play option.

The thing is, coming from iOS and all it’s Apple ecosystem interfaces will I just hate Android?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its an adjustment that can take a couple of weeks. Stick with it. I much prefer Android for putting you in control of your phone, rather than Apple.

stu1972
    Free Member

I have always had iPhones and made the move to a Z2 when they first come out but went back to iPhone.

The Z2 went into full tilt overheat mode regularly and ran VERY hot. 4k video was just not an option on the Z2, it would overheat and shutdown within 30 seconds.

The thing that ultimately knocked me off was the non-replaceable battery. Android o/s is fine. much more flexible than iOS.

Just do your homework with the overheating issues and make sure they have been ironed out with the Z3

johnnystorm

My Missus has had iPhone/iPad since 3G/iPad 3 respectively. She has since moved over to a Samsung Galaxy Alpha with a transition time of about a week to find her feet. Theres nothing to hate about android. It does everything Apple does but for loads less cash. You can tweak it if you want, or you can just leave it as it is.

Couple of good apps (Smoothsync) to help you shift your contacts and calendar across, otherwise everything else has an equivalent app you can log into.

I had a waterproof S4 Active and I miss the waterproofing when I’m out on my bike having to get the phone out of a sarnie bag to take a picture!

honourablegeorge

Went from years of iPhones to a Samsung S5 a year back. Android is less slick and more clunky than iOs, but you’re free to do all sorts of things – I can download a file on 4g while at work, come home, unzip the file and copy it to my network drive at home, all with no hassle. On an iPhone that’s a somewhere between impossible and nightmare. I can grab an album off the sahre drive at home and copy it across without ever touching iTunes or iCloud. Would never go back now. No Apple battery worries either.Or faulty reception, or other regular grief.

S5 is waterproof too, which is handy, can chuck it in a bag or pocket on a wt ride without worry.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP given all your other products IMO it would make no sense at all to switch, my only regret is I got a 6 and not a 6+

If you want a PS4 remote just buy one

I put my phone in a ziplock plastic bag if I’m worried about it getting wet but appreciate if that’s a major benefit to you then go for such a phone

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I like my Z3 really good battery and camera. The GPS seems to work much better than my old S4, waterproof is great as well especially yesterday when my shake exploded in my backpack after a crash.

hunta

I’ve been really tempted by the Z3 Compact but haven’t found anything on Android to come near to the iPhones in the camera department. Is it really comparable?

brassneck

I went to a Nexus 5 from iPhone 4 a year or so back as part of a BYOD trial at work. Hated it. Crashed all the time (though probably our mail capsule software at fault), nothing was where I expected it etc. etc.
    Got a 6 when it came out and was perfectly happy again.

You might be more adaptable (although I flit between about 7 OS’s at work so I don’t think I’m too fixed), but given your household investment in other Apple stuff I think you’ll find it an exercise in frustration.

That waterproof sha-mo sure is tempting though.

daver27
    Free Member

i’ve been a fan of Android since it came out, my current phone is a Z1. However, the lifecycle of them appears to be just under 2 years, and by lifecycle i mean upgrade cycle.
    My Z1 just got the latest Lollipop upgrade and it has utterly ruined what was a decent phone. This happens EVERY TIME with android IME. you need to buy the top end phone at the time of purchase to ensure it is supported for the length of your contract with proper upgrades, but it always goes wrong just before the end of 2 years. whether or not this is a ploy to get your to upgrade i don’t know.
    I am tempted to try an iphone 6 as a replacement now, which is something i never thought i would do.

tall_martin

I have a z3 compact, mostly due for the waterproofing.

30 seconds in the river and it died. Went back for warranty and a brand new one came back.

So now I treat it as slightly splash proof.

Other that that its great.

Camera is good, Good as a phone, good on the internet.

Just not actually waterproof.

Martin

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My wife has a 5s, I have a 6.

I wouldn’t ever have bought a 5 but the 6 is a very nice phone

cp

i’ve been a fan of Android since it came out, my current phone is a Z1. However, the lifecycle of them appears to be just under 2 years, and by lifecycle i mean upgrade cycle.
    My Z1 just got the latest Lollipop upgrade and it has utterly ruined what was a decent phone. This happens EVERY TIME with android IME.

not IME. me and the missus run mk1 moto g with lollipop and they work great – very slick.

The gist is right though – over time stuff goes obsolete, whether it be iphone, android phone, etc….

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have always had iPhones and made the move to a Z2 when they first come out but went back to iPhone.
    The thing that ultimately knocked me off was the non-replaceable battery

Show me any iPhone that has a user replaceable battery.

saxabar
    Free Member

After iPhone 4 I tried a Z2 for a while, but got an iPhone 5 handset to test a few Apple-only apps

On balance while I reckon the Z2 edges it on the handset, I’m not keen on the Google ecology that functions to suck as much data as possible. I’m finding Apple’s pro-privacy stance refreshing and convincing. 😀

My next handset will be another iPhone.

verses

My Z1 just got the latest Lollipop upgrade and it has utterly ruined what was a decent phone.

My Z1 Compact is running really well with Lollipop.

I only got the phone in Jan, couldn’t quite justify the price difference for the Z3 compact when the spec bump wasn’t that big.

Very pleased with it, but then I’ve always been an android user. Sony hardly change the base Android OS, which I much prefer to HTC and Samsung’s titting about.

v8ninety

iPhone batteries are dead easy to replace. Is it possible to repair the 5s? Still a VERY competent and contemporary phone.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’ve got an iphone 5s for work and an Xperia Z2 for personal use. I hate Apple’s computer OS with a vengeance but can tolerate the phone version. I find Android easier to use and Z2 hardware is just as fast as the iphone. I’ve never had the Z2 get hot (but I’ve never used the 4k video) but I find the iphone does run hot when being asked to navigate. The large screen on the Xperia is great but the downside is the size makes it difficult to carry in a pocket. Z2’s water resistance is handy because when I’m biking I don’t have to worry about it being in my jersey pocket and getting rained or sweated on. Got my Z2 for another year but my next phone I reckon will be a Z3 compact or whatever its equivalent is at the time.

isitafox
    Free Member

If you can it might be worth hanging on until after the summer. I rang EE about an early upgrade last week and was told to hold of till September as the iPhone 7 would be released and as a result all the other phone prices will drop quite a bit.

duckeee
    Free Member

Can personally attest to the waterproof-ness of a z3 compact, taken many a dunk whilst forgetting it’s in my pocket and it’s completely unfazed.
    The ps4 remote play is a winner too, works a treat.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bigyin
    I replaced the battery on my 4S no problem – just need to undo a few small screws, the hardest part is trying to locate a decent quality battery as they don’t sell them officially.

kristoff
    Free Member

I had the same quandary in november, iPhone 6 or z3. Went with the z3 which replaced my old iPhone 5.

Battery noticeably better, camera much improved and only took a week or so to adjust from 4+Years of iPhone use.

Would I go back to an iPhone.. Maybe, but for the time being I’m quite happy with jumping ship to android and Sony.

superfli
    Free Member

All I’ll say on this is don’t be lured into the z3 by it’s waterproofing claims. It’s not. This was part of the reason I bought mine, and first time in fresh water and it broke. Got a replacement, but I won’t use it underwater again. Great phone apart from that though

alpin
    Free Member

i have the Z1 compact, GF has the Z3 (it is a big phone).

waterproof and dust-proof were the big things for me (joiner, so lots of dust around). even used my phone in the sauna the other week without any probs.

just5minutes
    Free Member

haven’t had a Z3 but have used a Z1 on and off for about 18 months and it’s a great phone – amazing battery life and really good for taking photos and video underwater. You need to make sure the rubber ports are firmly closed so not sure if that’s why some people have had problems – camera and audio quality are also good and by all accounts the Z3 is at least as good on all these fronts.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Wierd, I’ve not found the camera on my Z1 to be good at all. Fine in sunlight, poor everywhere else. I did several back-to-back comparisons with my old iPhone 4s.

Drac

Apple did mine for free.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 6 or Xperia Z3’ is closed to new replies.