Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • iPhone 6 battery suddenly draining
  • coogan
    Free Member

Phone is about 1.5 years old, battery has been fine. But in the last few weeks it’s been wiping itself out so quickly over a day. I always keep the apps proper quit when the phones not in use. But still it drains itself. An example being I did a few texts, checked some apps this morning when fully charged. Then met friends for brunch a few hours later, check my phone and it’s saying battery 72%! End of the day phone used to have about 70-80% battery left, just now it’s sitting at 17%.

I don’t know it any app updates are killing it, I’ve not wiped it yet, but probably will to see it that helps.

Anyone had anything similar happen? And fixes? Or maybe it’s just fecked.

manvstarmac

I am not an expert, but have noticed my battery dies if apps use my location or give notifications. I’d check in Settings what’s doing either of those

podman
    Free Member

I had a similar problem a few weeks back, though I was also having problems with TouchID. I went through apple support online to see how much a replacement home button & battery would cost, they ran a remote diagnosis and suggested reinstalling 9.3.1 due to an “unusually high number of app crashes”. I was sceptical and prepared for the worst, but now my TouchID and battery have recovered significantly… give it a go before you go down other routes.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I, encrypted backup, factory restore and see what its like. If its fine restore backup

Drac

Yup check what apps have access to location services and set them to off or when in use. Unless you really want them on all the time.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Battery should last more than 18 months that being said an Apple store visit for a genius bar test will tell you. My 6 is a similar age and battery has started to fade a bit, ex colleague who ran IT ised to roitineky change his Samsung batteries every 12-18 months. My gut feel is its not a software / setup issue

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Iphones are only good to use if you’re plugged in whilst on wifi.

6s here with shi77y battery or so I reckon, it might be completely fine by most standards though mind.
    I do use it for everything though mind.

I’m getting really annoyed at updates for apps especially apps like pinterest.
    Don’t see the point in all this update business tbh for apps unless a significant change has been made.

Perhaps it’s down to auto brightness/location services/background app notifications etc etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Iphones are only good to use if you’re plugged in whilst on wifi.

Is your phone broken or something ? Or is it infact an imac ?

coogan
    Free Member

I’ve always had all the settings set to off or ‘when in app’ etc. I’m thinking wipe and reinstall if I don’t get a chance to get to an Apple Store. That’s what’s been weird about it, it just suddenly starting doing it a few weeks back, there been no gradual difference in battery life since new,, just suddenly started munching its way through the battery.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

No imacs bit pricey for my liking.
    😉
    What I was getting at was that most apps require internet and a reliable form if it too.
    That also wifi drains battery therefore requiring constant charge so your not left with empty after an hour on the sofa.

There’s an article somewhere online that stated some iphone 6 and 6s were fotted with dodgy samsung made battery units.

scotroutes

What can happen is that one cell fails. You charge it and it looks like 100% but one of (say) 4 cells just craps out on you so you’re suddenly down at 75% and the remaining 3 are struggling to keep up. So, it’s not so much a gradual decline over the months, it’s a sudden drop-off.

somouk
    Free Member

What does the battery monitor say is nabbing the battery?

dizcostix
    Free Member

Something similar happened with my old iphone 5. It was literally 12 months and a few days old – took it to the apple store and they saw that a battery cell had ‘gone’ – they did a diagnostic to check/blame me for charging habits. Agreed that my charging habits were fine and the battery was faulty but as it was just over 12months old it was out of warranty – it was cheaper to buy a new one than the total repair costs they quoted.

Hence now on sony androids!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@diz a new battry from Apple is about £50

dizcostix
    Free Member

@jambalaya

To add a few more details – the battery cell that had gone had ‘exploded’ and caused a bowing/bending of the glass/phone as well as other internal damage.

You’re right though if you’re just swapping a battery outside of warranty that reached end of life – its £59

jimdubleyou

To add a few more details – the battery cell that had gone had ‘exploded’ and caused a bowing/bending of the glass/phone as well as other internal damage.

I would have been quoting sale of goods act and kicking up a fuss if my £600 smart phone had died so spectacularly after a 12.5 months of use.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

I’ve had a similar problem on mine for a few months now. The display can be saying 37% battery life and then in the space of a few minutes go immediately to the low power warning and then completely dead. Charge it for a few minutes and it turns on and the power is back up to 35% almost straight away.

I need to find some time to call Apple…

Drac

Ok possibly not software then. I had a similar fault with iPhone 5 and then replaced it for free at over a year old.

jimdubleyou

Ok possibly not software then. I had a similar fault with iPhone 5 and then replaced it for free at over a year old.

They often have replacement programs where a specific thing will be a deemed to be an issue which they have decided to fix – iPhone 5 top button being one of them.

Then you get a refurbed one for free (well, it costs an hour at the genius bar).

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/exchange_repair/

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You can check which apps are using the battery – for example if Facebook is set to background app refresh it eats battery.

Drac

They often have replacement programs where a specific thing will be a deemed to be an issue which they have decided to fix – iPhone 5 top button being one of them.

Batteries on iPhone 5 is another.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Did it happen after any app updates?

coogan
    Free Member

That’s what I suspected @Frankenstein. It just all happened so suddenly. Checking the battery usage section, nothing stands out using up loads of battery live.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

It’ll be a memory leak so not shown probably. Wipe it and report back. It’s likely all the Apple Store will do anyway on your first visit. .

coogan
    Free Member

If of any interest. It seems to have sorted itself. I reckon it was an app update that’s been messing with it’s mojo!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 6 battery suddenly draining’ is closed to new replies.