Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • iPhone 6 – battery replacement?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have one of the above, but being just about 2.5 years old, the battery is pretty ropey on it now.

I plan on replacing the battery, doesn’t look too hard a job, but any suggestions of suppliers? Battery prices vary wildly – I want something decent that will last, rather than cheap crap.

somouk
    Free Member

Might be worth taking it in to apple. I think it was the 6 or 6S where they have a battery replacement program running due to a dodgy batch. Won’t hurt to ask!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I did think about it – the phone has been well used though, hence exploring options. It’s been fine for 2 years, probably pushing my luck.

v8ninety

I just bought a new battery for my 5s from eBay; it’s made a massive improvement. May not be quite the quality of a genuine apple product, but for about £4, I’m not arguing. Satisfaction from giving the phone a new lease of life was obtained, too.

jam-bo

wsywig off here does a good job for a good price.

I remember him saying you are as just likely to get a duff battery however much you spend on ebay/amazon so you may as well buy a cheap one. the only way to ensure genuine batteries is to get one from apple.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Hmm, seems like its £79 from Apple to get them to do it.

Duracell does a battery for £50, plus then the tools, time, risk etc of doing it, almost worth the extra £30 just to get Apple to replace.

v8ninety

Seriously; £3.59 delivered direct from Hong Kong. It probably comes from the same factory as the £50 Duracell one, and spend (some) of the difference on some really nice iFixit tools. Gain an enormous sense of self satisfaction at doing Apple et al out of their planned obsolescence profit.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Just take it into Apple and tell them the battery life is poor. They’ll run their own tests on it and review the condition of the battery. If it falls within the expected deterioration, then you know your options for replacement if there’s actually a hardware or software issue draining the battery then they’ll fix it or replace it under warranty, which it is still covered by.

skids
    Free Member

i would go to the apple store if I wanted a good battery. You can replace it yourself but the batteries you can get on amazon and ebay are trash

v8ninety

You can replace it yourself but the batteries you can get on amazon and ebay are trash might be slightly lower quality than OEM, but are pennies so worth a go.

FTFY. 😉

Posted from my venerable 5s running on a trash bargainsome shiny new battery…

connect2

My 6 battery life became very poor, took it into Apple who insisted the battery was ok and it must have been something wrong with the main board. Claimed on my insurance in the end and got a new phone. Probably worth taking it to the Genius Bar and see what they say

nickharv

If you’ve got a Mac coconut Battery will show how much of the original capacity you have left in your battery. I’ve just had Apple replace the battery in my iPhone 6s for £65 and it’s like having a new phone.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just take it into Apple and tell them the battery life is poor. They’ll run their own tests on it and review the condition of the battery.

This exactly. My iP6 seemed to be draining the battery a bit quick, I got it checked and it was at something like 97% capacity after over 2 years use. I turned a load of background stuff off on their advice and it’s better now. Get it checked BEFORE spending any money!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Download the “battery life” app for free and it’ll tell you what percentage life you’re at.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 6 – battery replacement?’ is closed to new replies.