Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • iPhone 5s – used, buying advice
  • jiff
    Free Member

Folks,
    Your advice please. I appreciate these may seem really basic questions, but I only have a phone for work use and don’t really use them for much else.
    I’m looking to replace my iPhone 4 as its on it’s on it’s way out.
    I’ve seen a used iPhone 5s advertised locally. It’s an old boy that’s selling it and he seems genuine. Asking price is £120.
    It was formally with O2 and he says it is now unlocked. Everything is with it and apparently it has a. ‘ mirror’ protected screen ( ? ).
    So, questions are:
    – is thus a decent price
    – what checks can I do to see if it works all ok
    – my understanding is that my SIM card won’t fit directly into his, so is it an easy process to gat a new SIM card
    – anything in this ‘mirror’ screen, is it as protective as he claims
    – what further costs can I expect to incur in transferring over from my current I4 to this I5 if I go ahead

Thanks all.

finishthat
    Free Member

good price – he would have to do the unlocking and its not always easy.
    02 are best at this – vodafone and orange very poor to the point of effectively
    fraud – there are websites rating them – i would avoid unlocking hassle

kitchener
    Free Member

Yup, go and check it out, if it is working and seems fine with all bits then that’s a barg.

You probably need a smaller SIM. You can ask your phone co for a new one or if it’s a 4>5 conversion (from a larger Micro Sim to a Nano Sim), just cut carefully and tidy up the edges with a nail file. Google will give you a guide on where to trim it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As Kitchener says you can cut down your sim – we watched a shop do this with a custom clipper tool/pliers – this is best as it means it all should work perfectly with no porting over issues.

What you must check is how it was unlocked – backstreet job or proper code from O2 – ideally you would check it with another non-O2 Sim ideally from same provider as you are on )i.e. before chopping up yours !)

You might ask if/when the battery was changed – about £60 for a proper battery from Apple or DIY for £10

Screen protectors are good as they stop any scratches and make it less likely the screen gets broken if you drop it – personally I don’t like them and you should be able to remove it then clean up the screen if you wish.

Can’t comment on price, that depends a lot on how much memory it has. 16GB is just about workable, 32 up much better.

Make sure everything is up to date on the iCloud, all contacts saved, photos etc. As for testing just put a sim in it or use his (taking on trust it’s been unlocked), check screen works fine etc, check wifi works.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

get the imei and check icloud.com/activationlock ask them to turn it off if on

skids
    Free Member

get a refurb from o2 for 153 with 10 credit, 1 year apple warranty, phones are as new, no worries with battery either

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 5s – used, buying advice’ is closed to new replies.