Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • iPhone 5 or Samsung s4?
  • ron70
    Free Member

My contract is coming to an end, and it’s new phone time! 🙂 Anyone got any good or bad experiences with the iPhone 5? Thinking maybe I should hold out for the Samsung s4, what does the stw massive think?

chojin
    Free Member

Personally, I find iOS a joy to use, I find Android good to use and Windows Phone a buggy, horrible experience.
    Hardware wise, there’s hardly anything in the top phones, so it’s down to software and for me, iOS pips it.

A good test is demo one in store, try typing a short message with the keyboard and then get the one that’s the least frustrating. After all, the main thing you’ll probably be doing with a smart phone is typing.

scaredypants

not heard of the stw massive – is it like the zte grand ?

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve been both an android and iOS user and find either is fine to use.

Hardware wise I prefer the 5 as it’s smaller and feels much better made than the all plastic S3/S4.

vrapan
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the S4, if you want an Android phone either save cash and get a Nexus 4 or buy the HTC One.

I have the iP5 and the HTC One. Prefer the 5 but that is mainly because of me being used to iOS. The HTC One has a better and higher res screen, feels as well if not better made and it is not as awkward to me to use one handed as was the Nexus 4 or the S3 (never owned the S3 but played with one a while ago). It is also very very fast (paid for in battery life unfortunately).

If you are a bit vain about how your phone feels in the hand then the S3/4 are just out of the question as they are feel very cheap/plasticky made.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

s3 feels fine to me even without a case, it’s whats inside that matters.
    Battery wise it’s on par with most smartphones and will last a day reasonably and charge overnight.
    Samsung have a nice layer on Android, I miss a couple of HTC features like friend stream but nothing that badly that I care too much.
    As the S3 was looking like an evenish fight(better than) on the hardware stakes with the 5 I’d expect the S4 to be a chunk ahead again.

ron70
    Free Member

Hmmm.. Thanks guys.

vrapan – Member
    Don’t bother with the S4, if you want an Android phone either save cash and get a Nexus 4 or buy the HTC One.

Why wouldn’t you bother with the s4? This was the one I was swaying to, I know what you mean about them looking/feeling a bit cheap compared to the iPhone but it will be covered up anyhow. Cheers.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Bit of a thread hi-jack but has anyone used the new sony experian Z?

SkillWill
    Free Member

Nexus 4? Bought two now, great phone.

gonzy
    Free Member

Bit of a thread hi-jack but has anyone used the new sony experian Z?

i’ve heard they are supposed to be good phones…much like my arc s…
    but the problem lie not with the handsets but sony themselves…
    they offer poor support for their products and in comparison to their competitors they are too far behind i.e. software update can take anything up to and beyond 6 months to become available to sony handsets, so if android issues an update say for jellybean you’ll have to wait at least 6 months before sony make it available for your phone which means none of the latest apps etc. will work correctly..
    such a shame as the phones are great

mda

OP, what do want to do on the phone? Beyond the usual stuff I use the sat nav a lot, both for road and offroad navigation so the ability to fit a fresh battery and expandable storage are both very usefull to me. I also like to move files and folders easily between the phone and a PC via wifi. For me the S4 would be an obvious choice out of the 2 you mentioned. Also, if you do a fair amount of browsing, the larger screen of the S4 wins.

Superficial
    Free Member

Isn’t it about time for a new iPhone?

the_lecht_rocks

android = drag and drop hard drive.
    apple = itunes

enough said imho [have both fwiw]

Toasty

Nexus 4 ships with stock Android, rather than manufacturer faffed version, much prefer it.

That said I’m not too sure about the solid glass on both sides design, I’d be tempted by an SGS4 were they not double the price and not technically any better. Really got on with my SGS2, it was indestructable too, numerous drops onto concrete after biking into work and it falling out as I got my lock. Dropped an iPod Touch 4th gen on laminate flooring from knee height once and it exploded 🙁

If you do go Nexus 4 you’d be much better off buying direct from Google and getting a cheap sim free tarrif.

vrapan
    Free Member

Hmmm.. Thanks guys.

vrapan – Member
    Why wouldn’t you bother with the s4? This was the one I was swaying to, I know what you mean about them looking/feeling a bit cheap compared to the iPhone but it will be covered up anyhow. Cheers.

Sense UI 5 is cleaner than Touchwiz or whatever SG phones have, the screen is most definitely better on the HTC One too. That plus the much better built and you have a better phone than the SGS4. If you don’t care about those improvements go for the Nexus 4 and save a bit of cash in the process.

ron70
    Free Member

mda – Member
    OP, what do want to do on the phone? Beyond the usual stuff I use the sat nav a lot, both for road and offroad navigation so the ability to fit a fresh battery and expandable storage are both very usefull to me. I also like to move files and folders easily between the phone and a PC via wifi. For me the S4 would be an obvious choice out of the 2 you mentioned. Also, if you do a fair amount of browsing, the larger screen of the S4 wins.
    POSTED 2 WEEKS AGO # REPORT-POST

I’d be mostly using the Internet, so a big screen would be good, also the ability to fit more storage and the spare battery is a massive advantage! I do find my iPhone now to be easy to type and has a good feel to it, although maybe I’d get used to the way the s4 feels. Anyone else have experience of either phone?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ve used Android & iOS recently & personally prefer Android, although I’ve got an Iphone5.
    Only reason being an Android phone won’t sync with a Mac properly (I know I can get the calendar to through google etc. but not properly)
    Only real reason I went for it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 5 or Samsung s4?’ is closed to new replies.