Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • iphone 5 discontinued?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Has the normal iphone 5 been discontinued?
    My partner had a call from voda on monday saying we can upgrade toiphone 5 now for you. Yay as her 4is knackered. It will be with you in 3 days. Email saying out of stock. Check voda sight and you cant get a 5 only 4s 5c or 5s. Even apples sight doesnt list the 5 anymore.
    Anyone know?

allthepies
    Free Member

Correct, replaced by 5c / 5s

Jamie
    Free Member

iPhone 5 has been removed from current lineup. Seems a bit strange, but guess the 5C replaces it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

So how can they upgrade on a phone that no longer exists.

Jamie
    Free Member

They can still offer them for upgrades, replacements etc. Just not offering it to new customers. If I was you, I would try and wangle a 5C.

legend
    Free Member

That’ll be Voda trying to offload their remaining stock on whoever they can then

wrightyson
    Free Member

Probably because its shit! And yes I have one so I’m in a position to make that judgement!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Just phoned them, apparently they are waiting for stock from apple. Andthey arent obsolete.
    This will be interesting

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Why would they be obsolete? Apple just couldn’t have the 5 and 5C in the line up.

The. 5 will be available for years plus Apple will carry warranty stock forever.

Ewan
    Free Member

Tell them you want a 5c. The 5 won’t work with Voda’s 4G network as it doesn’t do the correct LTE bands. Other than that the 5c is the same as the 5 (I think it might have quicker wifi but I was bored to tears by time I got to there in the specs).

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Just seems odd its removed fromthere site!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s removed because they want you to buy the 5C and the 5 is the same phone with the metal body.

The carriers will offer the 5 until there is none left.

convert

Just to clarify – is the 5c actually better than the ‘old’ 5? The plastic case looks like a downgrade to me but is the gubbins inside betterer? Wife needs a new phone – coming from blackberry. She has limited needs but with an ipad at home is resistant to a new smartphone that needs to ‘learn’ an OS other than ios.

footflaps

Personally I think the 5c looks better than the original 5. Spec wise, it’s the same as far as I can see.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It has better lte reception, a better front facing and rear camera and the battery life is longer.

It also does away with the awful aluminum casing that is made out if cheese.

It is superior to the 5 but superceeded by the 5S.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The 5 seems to have been removed from the Apple website while the 4S still remains. I’m struggling to see any difference between the 5C and the 5 in the tech specs – the camera seems the same from a hardware perspective. The only differences between the two phones seems to be those features related to ios7 which current 5 owners will get soon anyway.

I think the 5C is a replacement for the 5 and the 5S is now the premium model.

If indeed the 5C is effectively a 5 except the visual differences then there seems little point to continue the 5. Why make the same phone in a metal and plastic chassis?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

This explains the differences between the 5 and the 5C:

The camera seems to be a software upgrade.

The reason i changed is the damage the Iphone 5 gets even if you look after it.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123579-iphone-5c-vs-iphone-5-what-s-the-difference

CountZero

I’m struggling to see any difference between the 5C and the 5 in the tech specs – the camera seems the same from a hardware perspective. The only differences between the two phones seems to be those features related to ios7 which current 5 owners will get soon anyway.

There are significant differences to the camera; the pixel count is the same, but the sensor is bigger, with larger pixels, giving better low-light performance, there’s a 120fps feature in video, the processor is now the A7, 64bit processing, with an M7 co-processor that handles all geo-location, movement, etc. Theres a lot going on ‘under the hood’, as it were.

So, what did they do?

First, instead of packing in more megapixels they packed in a sensor that delivered bigger pixels. Because, as Phil Schiller so pointedly stated, Bigger pixels = better picture. Bigger pixels mean more light, better range of color, and less noise.

Second, before you even take the picture it automatically sets the white balance, exposure, creates a dynamic local tone map, and matrix metering autofocus for fifteen focus zones (a feature not even all dSLRs have). Then, once you take the shot it actually takes three and then analyzes each in real time for which is the sharpest and that is the one you see.

Third, the new True Tone Flash. Now, I want you to understand something, there are photographers who spend thousands of dollars on flash and lighting equipment alone to achieve what this flash can do. It combines both a cool white and warm amber LED and, in real time analyzes the color of the surrounding and fires the flash to suit, thus giving you the best possible flash for that environment (over 1000 possible color variations). No other flash in any camera ever produced can do this. Let that sink in.

Next, auto image stabilization that, in real time, analyzes those multiple photos it takes with each shot and then — if they are all a bit blurry from movement or shaking, selects the sharpest portions of each image and combines them into the best possible picture.

Throw in burst mode at ten frames per second with the added bonus of allowing the camera to select the best of the shots based on a dozen variables, slow motion ability in the video shots (which captures at HD, 720p, 120 fps), and the fact you wont have to spend a thousand dollars on some dSLR that would only get you half of these features because the rest are world first and not available in any other camera, and you know what you have?
    From Minimalmac
    There’s a fair bit of hyperbole about the above, there’s no 20x optical zoom, for a start, or interchangeable lenses, but there’s still quite a lot going on there. One problem with pano photos on the 5, for example, is overblown bright areas in skies, like white clouds, so that’s an area that’s being improved.
    It’s odd, though, that the 5 is being dropped, but the 4S is being kept; having said that, I still use my iP4, and I prefer the construction to the 5, it’s just more substantial.
    But heck, tech moves on apace. 😀

stu1972
    Free Member

With 2 new models surely the remaining 5’s won’t re-surface in an 8gb guise as per usual when it comes to last gen iPhones ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stu – correct, in the past Apple used to offer the prior model in reduced spec (eg small memory) for a lower price. But with launch of 5S and 5C they are not doing that his time.

A 5C is a slight upgrade on a 5 but with a plastic case (and awful colours), 5S has lots of improvements (more powerful chip, camera, finger print etc).

OP, personally I’d rather have a 5 than a 5C so if you can get a deal take it, three are still offering 5’s – the 5 will run the new iOS7 no problem so it’s a bit of a wash between the 5, 5C and 5S for most of us.

Drac

Tell Vodafone to get lost their 4G network is so appalling it makes having a 5 or above pointless. I’ve been with them for about 18 years or more but soon as this contract is up im gone.

footflaps

There are significant differences to the camera; the pixel count is the same, but the sensor is bigger, with larger pixels, giving better low-light performance, there’s a 120fps feature in video, the processor is now the A7, 64bit processing, with an M7 co-processor that handles all geo-location, movement, etc. Theres a lot going on ‘under the hood’, as it were

That’s the 5s, the 5C is much closer to the old 5 in terms of spec.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘iphone 5 discontinued?’ is closed to new replies.