Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • iPhone 4s vs. Galaxy S3 – which is best for music?
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

My phone contract is up for renewal shortly and I can choose between the iphone 4s or Galaxy S3 – which is best for download and storage of music?

theflatboy
    Free Member

with galaxy you can buy and download music straight to your phone with amazon, which is pretty comprehensive. you can also now use easy phone sync to sync your itunes to your galaxy if you wish, so there’s nothing to choose between them really.

i have a galaxy s3 and love it.

ericemel
    Free Member

S3 plays flac – winner for me for pure music – I wouldn’t get a 4S anyways as the 5 will be here sometime in the next few months.

(still I sent my S3 back and still use my iphone)

CountZero

With a 4.8″ screen, ask yourself how easy it is to fit it into a pocket.
    And I don’t mean a jacket pocket. There’s also the size consideration if you want to use satnav in a car…
    Too big for me on a day-to-day basis.

logical
    Free Member

I’ve had an S2,a 4s, a note and now the S3 in that order. I have to say that the Samsung phones are by far THE best phones of the last 4 I’ve had. The ONLY thing I don’t like about the S3 is that the Samsung Tv remote app doesn’t work on ICS yet.
    But everything else is amazing. Android nice and easy to use. Loads of free games and apps. Flash support (yeah I know its dying out) and you don’t look like a distant cousin of Mint Sauce.

BAAAA

GrahamS

you don’t look like a distant cousin of Mint Sauce.

BAAAA

Always amuses me when users of the world’s most popular phone OS, made by one of the world’s biggest companies, accuse Apple users of being sheep 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

With a 4.8″ screen, ask yourself how easy it is to fit it into a pocket.
    And I don’t mean a jacket pocket. There’s also the size consideration if you want to use satnav in a car…
    Too big for me on a day-to-day basis.

I’ve got an S2, I have no problems fitting it into a jeans pocket, even when working on my car or plumbing. I have played with an S3 and it’s not much different in dimensions, if a little fatter.

Cougar

If music is your only concern, there’s probably little to choose between them.

The Samsung would score a point for having removable storage I guess, so you can whack a nice big SD in there. Apple has iTunes natively if that’s your bag (and Android has DoubleTwist which is basically iTunes for Android). Conversely, Android has a wide choice of music players; I use PowerAmp which has a load of toys including a full graphic equaliser to play with. Both support Spotify, TuneIn, etc etc.

CountZero

But everything else is amazing. Android nice and easy to use. Loads of free games and apps. Flash support (yeah I know its dying out) and you don’t look like a distant cousin of Mint Sauce.

BAAAA

Before and after iPhone:

Happy though to use a devise that is so close in general design principles that in choosing it you become sheep-like in buying something that is almost – but not quite – the same as that which you profess to despise.
    Most Samsung phones are virtually indistinguishable from an iPhone at a distance of more than a metre or more.
    They are to me, anyway, and I would hazard most other people as well.

logical
    Free Member

Always amuses me when users of the world’s most popular phone OS, made by one of the world’s biggest companies, accuse Apple users of being sheep

We use the os but not one phone. Every major phone manufacturer apart from Nokia and papple have an android handset now.

I’ve had an iPhone 4 and 4s and wasn’t impressed. Samsung’s take on Android is much more user friendly and the screen is WAY better.
    The removable storage is great too.

Cougar

You know, just once I wish we could have a ‘what phone’ thread without it turning into a one-upmanship point scoring exercise. It’s so depressingly tedious. Have we not moved on since the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64?

Newsflash, everyone. Some people have iPhones and like them. Some people have Android phones and like them. They’re both incredible pieces of technology. But the only person in the entire world who gives a number of shits greater than zero about what type of phone you own is you.

CountZero

Sadly, Cougar, it’s inevitable, when some nitwit turns up going ‘baaaa’, or who make sneering comments about me or take the piss, just because I recommend products I have years of experience using, and am happy to use, but not other products I have never used, and no interest in using, because of investment in software and applications that run on a particular platform.
    If someone asks about cameras, I’ll recommend Nikon or Lumix, but not Canon or Fuji, purely because that’s what I use and feel comfortable with, and like the look of. Presumably that’s ok, though, because none of those products happen to be made by Apple.
    Could have been, though, as Apple worked on early digital camera tech with Kodak, before Kodak dropped it, leading directly to their current sad demise.

Cougar

Whereas I’ll try and be objective and suggest what I think is best suitable for the task / OP, rather than simply advocate ‘what I use’.

Sure, I know you didn’t throw the first stone. But it takes two to argue. The ‘baa’ was an unnecessary dig, but I’d rather read one stupid / irrelevant comment than a pageful. Please Do Not Feed The Troll. (-:

Cougar

(If it’s not clear btw, I was saying “you” collectively to everyone who keeps doing this, not singling out “you” specifically, CZ)

GrahamS

I’ve had an iPhone 4 and 4s and wasn’t impressed.

Then you’re a sheep too? Baaaa! 😀

OP: as Cougar says in terms of music there isn’t much to pick between them. iPhones are obviously geared up for buying stuff off iTunes, but it’s not exclusive or anything. You can load on any mp3s you like (most of mine are ripped from CDs).

But you’ll probably get the Android cheaper and you can use removable storage. So if that is you’re only requirement I’d go for a droid (though not necessarily the S3)

nickswolves
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member
    with galaxy you can buy and download music straight to your phone with amazon

Does this work well now? The early version of mine played up but that’s on the original Galaxy.

I like the idea of being able to download songs / albums directly to the phone which is where the iphone scores well. I had Spotify on my Galaxy for a while but couldn’t justify the £10 p.m. fee to stream offline etc.

Storage is better on Galaxy I appreciate. I would use it for Sat Nav, taking pics etc. but there’s little to choose on that front from what I see. The screen size on the S3 is good but app store on iphone seems better.

Hmmm 😕

tron
    Free Member

Wasn’t the LG Prada released before the iPhone?

Cougar

The early version of mine played up but that’s on the original Galaxy.

The original Galaxy was a bag of nails, I wouldn’t use that as a yardstick for anything.

IA

I’ve had an iPhone 4 and 4s and wasn’t impressed.

Impressed enough by a 4 to buy a 4s though eh? 😉

To the OP, they’re both good for music. The main points:

1) if you *dont’* use iTunes, the iPhone will force you to, so may be an issue.
    2) As above, for *lots* of music, a s3 with a big SD card is a cheaper option.

You should be able to pick up an S3 for about ~£150-200 cheaper than a 32gb say 4S over the length of the contract.

Cougar

I would use it for Sat Nav, taking pics etc. but there’s little to choose on that front from what I see.

CoPilot on Android is excellent and competitively priced. Google Maps is on both and free, but not as good for satnav. There are other free mapping apps for both too.

The iPhone camera is very good as phone cameras go; dunno what the SGS3 is like.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

You know, just once I wish we could have a ‘what phone’ thread without it turning into a one-upmanship point scoring exercise.

I agree, it only took 3 replies before someone totally ignored the actual OP question this time round!

theflatboy
    Free Member

nickswolves – Member

theflatboy – Member
    with galaxy you can buy and download music straight to your phone with amazon

Does this work well now? The early version of mine played up but that’s on the original Galaxy.

yep very well, insofar as i’ve bought a few things so far and not had anything to make me think it didn’t work well! smooth so far. and just to reiterate for other galaxyers, as i think it’s a recent development, easy phone sync is well worth getting if you have itunes library you want to sync with your galaxy phone.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

I would use it for Sat Nav, taking pics etc. but there’s little to choose on that front from what I see.

CoPilot on Android is excellent and competitively priced. Google Maps is on both and free, but not as good for satnav.

i’ve used the free turn by turn navigation built into android on my s3 and it’s fantastic – i’m thinking of just ditching my garmin car gps tbh!

GrahamS

i’ve used the free turn by turn navigation built into android on my s3 and it’s fantastic – i’m thinking of just ditching my garmin car gps tbh!

Yeah I use the free turn by turn navigation from NavFree or Waze on my iPhone (also available for droid I think?)

Typically does better than the sat-nav built into my car (which is pathetic given that the car sat-nav should have huge advantages like a big antenna, access to wheel speed and steering indicators etc)

ericemel
    Free Member

Regarding the size of the screen on the S3 – the reason I sent mine back was because I could not use it one handed – my thumb could not easily reach the top and bottom on the screen without wiggling it. Needing two hands made it a tablet imho.

The OS was nice though but I cannot claim it was better than iOS

As for the BAAA comments….well they are 2 of the biggest companies in the world. But either of them and you are a sheep.

nickswolves
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member
    with galaxy you can buy and download music straight to your phone with amazon, which is pretty comprehensive. you can also now use easy phone sync to sync your itunes to your galaxy if you wish, so there’s nothing to choose between them really.

i have a galaxy s3 and love it.

Hat off to you, just downloaded Easy Phone Sync onto current Galaxy S1 and downloaded all my itunes stuff – so easy to do too, recommend this to anyone. Have to say thats pushed me more towards the S3 now.

CountZero

Regarding the size of the screen on the S3 – the reason I sent mine back was because I could not use it one handed – my thumb could not easily reach the top and bottom on the screen without wiggling it. Needing two hands made it a tablet imho.

That’s the thing, there seems to be a sort of screen-size arms race going on, with little consideration for ergonomics. A screen much bigger than 4″ is going to be awkward to use one handed.
    Navigation-wise, I use CoPilot Live, just updated to the latest version, and it always seems to work pretty well, provided you burrow into the menus and set up road parameters, to avoid being taken down unsuitable roads.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My pick would be iPhone 4S together with Apple TV at £100 for streaming content onto the TV (eg music, bike videos, movies, plus iClould access to photos and netflix etc).

iPhone works very well for music, might there be something better, possibly.

The only reason I’d consider the S3 would be for the large screen (which is major plus) however the iPad is even better again.

unovolo
    Free Member

Personally I’m rockin a Nokia Lumia 800,have had Android phones before which were great but much prefer the OS on this.

A lot of stuff that requires a App on Android or IOS is built in to the Windows Phone OS.

Plus the preinstalled Sat Nav (Nokia Drive) is probable the best I have used.

Finds a GPS lock quicker than any previous Sat Nav including stand alone units that I have owned(Tom Tom and Mio) and is more acccurate.

GrahamS

A lot of stuff that requires a App on Android or IOS is built in to the Windows Phone OS.

Not sure why that is a good thing?

dryroasted
    Free Member

I use a galaxy note, not sure what the size is, but awesome phone, when i use tge wifes iphone now it just seems so small,

druidh
    Free Member

unovolo – Member
    Finds a GPS lock quicker than any previous Sat Nav including stand alone units that I have owned(Tom Tom and Mio) and is more acccurate.

It should do. Most smartphones will use aGPS to get an approximate fix (it uses the phone network). Most stand-alone GPS units don’t have that luxury

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 4s vs. Galaxy S3 – which is best for music?’ is closed to new replies.