Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Iphone 4 screens, all created equal?
  • beaker2135

So I’m going to fit a new screen to mrs beakers iphone 4
    I can buy one for £25ish or one that claims to be a genuine retina for more like £50
    Any of you done this?
    Is it worth the extra?
    Will I/she be able to tell the difference?
    Any recommendations for the best place to source parts?

somouk
    Free Member

Not sure on the retina bit but I did a screen swap on my Neices iPod a couple of weeks back using ebay sourced screens and it was just as good as the original.

Make sure you get the screen/digitizer bit all together.

beaker2135

Cheers spotted that trap, screen for £3, but nightmare to fit
    Screen/digitiser combo way to go
    It’s old tech now so while I don’t want to fit a rubbish screen there’s no point spending more than I need to

brakes
    Free Member

be careful with this, my wife had a non-original screen fitted and it was either extreme bad luck or a product of inferior quality as she knocked the screen after a couple of days and the LCD bled. I don’t think that would have happened with an original.

beaker2135

cheers brakes

wysiwyg
    Free Member

You cant buy the geniune gorilla glass screens.

Having bought and fitted many many screens its the luck of the draw, one £17 screen can be twice the quality of another.

Really luck of the draw.

Black or white? I’ll see who I use

beaker2135

Cheers wysiwyg
    Black please, need a back as well!

Only going off what they say here appleipodparts which is why I’m asking
    my other option is iphoneparts4u I’d love a recommendation though
    It’s insured but excess is £100 and I fancy a play
    Looks fairly simple, if a bit fiddly

jambalaya
    Free Member

Do you mean screen or just replace the broken glass ? My understanding is the glass on the outside isn’t the screen (ie the thing that displays the images or indeed is the touch sensitive part). On that basis the “retina” claim is nonsense.

Anyway I’ll follow this with interest as my daughter’s phone needs fixing.

beaker2135

just the glass is broken, *the problem is it is glued to the digitiser so you need a heat gun to separate them and then you have to attach the new glass
    Just not worth it if I can get a decent screen/glass unit to fit all in one
    *all based on internet knowledge not actual experience

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Dont bother attempting to split them – not happening.

I do them for £35, done a few peoples off here.

Worth a look both bits you need

Ive used these pretty sure they were on of the good guys

beaker2135

Nice one thanks for info and links
    I’m away for a week when I get back I’ll get on it
    £35 sounds like a bargain, I fancy the challenge though. If it all goes wrong I’ll send you a bag of bits, some humble pie and a larger fee 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you done this before? If it’s anything like a 4S it’s a bloody nightmare! Said I’d do it for a friend a while back thinking it’d be as easy as the 3. It’s not. By a long way.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My advice, take the screws out and arrange them laid out as though they were in the phone still.
    I use an old mouse mat.

Battery out, speaker enclosure screws out, work way up the board taking the screws out. Undo the screws on the black metal cover lay them out left to right in order, watch the top middle screw its long and is held into the black cover by a small clip, dont lose that, dont lose the tiny little nut on the 3rd screw from the right, it sits under a small metal fork. Then vibrator out – ooerr. Unclip all the connectors carefully, camera out. Sim tray out. Board out. 4 screws 1 in each corner out. 3 screws each side holding screen, undo half turn. Flip phone and lever screen off.
    REMEMBER to swap the earmesh over – i always used to forget and dont trap the cables one will want to trap itself, make sure theyre the same length.

Reassemble in reverse order…make sure the 4 little clips on speaker enclosure sit at the side of the frame not on top

neilforrow

wysiwyg – need your help!

missis NF went and smashed up her 4, got a new one under warranty and went and washed it. I dried it out and have replaced the screen, so far so good. Only prob is the wifi is intermittent. Does work (when it wants to).

Any suggestions, or can you help. I did have a couple bits left over at the end tho!…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Make sure the long screw in the middle of the black plate is screwed in properly it grounds the board to the wifi antenna (the chassis)

Take a pic of the leftovers?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Iphone 4 screens, all created equal?’ is closed to new replies.