Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • IPhone 4 Or HTC Desire HD??
  • KarlE
    Free Member

Treating myself to a new handset and am stuck between which one of the above to get. Anyone got any of the above? Advice required please!!! 😕
    Cheers

brant
    Free Member

I think it really comes down to this.

ps: After much soul searching, I have an apple phone.

I have just got a Nokia N8 on trial for a video project and it’s pretty horrible by comparison. Though the camera is very good.

Android is ace though, but apple phones are just so clean and slick and easy.

brownix
    Free Member

htc desire hd, I’ve just got myself a contract on one and its beaut!
    i would definately get one

Cheeks
    Free Member

Had the same dilema but narrowed it down to this:- If your an I-tunes user, get an I phone, if not go for htc Desire. Both superb

higgo
    Free Member

I have an apple phone.

I have just got a Nokia N8 on trial for a video project and it’s pretty horrible by comparison.

As a long-term Nokia user, that depresses me.

brant
    Free Member

I too was a long term nokia user. My E71 was wonderful and I’ve had lots of nice ones before that.

It’s nothing that couldn’t be fixed really, but damn, those apple people have all the user interface stuff done so so nicely, and with so many developers and apps, it’s nuts.

I mean, for this video project – http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-n8/nokia-n8-producers – I thought I would quite like a kind of “time lapse” photo mode. Nothing too odd there I think. Downloaded one (gorillacam) to my iphone and got it working in under a minute. After three hours of trying to get anything for the N8 I gave up. There is something (Lapsed) but it requires you to unpack packages, reflash this, do something .sis with something else. It was an “i’ll have to take it round Shauns house” job.

Though the camera on the N8 really is nice.

A decent twitter app for the N8 is SIX QUID.

Typing stuff into the N8 is horrible as you only see the text entry field, not the web page you’re working on.

But we’re talking about Android here.

I really really nearly got an HTC Desire HD, and sometimes wish I had just cos there’s something nice about being different. What swung it in the end was I got lucky with Orange, and got a 32gig iphone4 for the same price as a 16gig one.

I did a week in Taiwan with it, and it was ace. Skype in the background works well.

Battery life is piss poor on 3G though, so I bought a Mophy Juice Pack thing for rare days when I’m out. But it’s no better on Android apparently.

I do quite like the look of the Google Nexus 2 though 🙂

rj
    Free Member

The Desire HD is quite a bit cheaper, if that swings it at all. I just got one on Orange for 25 quid a month with the phone for free.

Conqueror
    Free Member

save a few bob and get a motorola defy which will survive the outdoors

Techradar review motorola defy

Amazon uk have a good price on the sim free about 250 quid.

geoffj

I’ve got an iPhone (personal) and a non HD HTC Desire (work). They are both superb, but the iPhone just edges it for me. It feels better built, and whilst the Android interface is slick, it’s not quite as good as the iOS IMHO.

I’m not sure that helps.

IA

There is something (Lapsed) but it requires you to unpack packages, reflash this, do something .sis with something else. It was an “i’ll have to take it round Shauns house” job.

Just thought I’d jump in to defend this, as it’s my app 😉

I wrote it in an afternoon to try out the next release version of the nokia Qt development libraries – hence they’re not standard on the release firmware and you have to install them. But you can do it. If I wanted to do the same on iPhone (write an app with the next version of the OS libraries etc) you wouldn’t be able to test it at all for me unless you were also registered on the developer program. So this is a bad anti-nokia example, as the same situation would be worse on iPhone 😉

It’ll be a one-click install after the next firmware update.

Brant, if you want to try it, the process is basically:
    Unzip the Qt and Qt mobility libraries, copy to phone (plug it in with usb), click all the .sis files in the file manager. (Or I can give you a link to a page with a pile of links to click on the phone to install them all in order)

Anyhow, to return to the OP:

If you’ve never used android or a smartphone before then get the iPhone (assuming you’re ok with the extra cost).

If you know what you’re getting into with android and the HD (battery life, and a fair bit of fiddling specifically) then go for that. If you have to ask, probably iPhone mind.

Problem with all comparisons with the iPhone is that it’s significantly more expensive than anything else.

Drac

I have an iPhone it’s bloody brilliant, I’ve just got the Mrs an Anroid phone a Galaxy S. It’s also very good, I still prefer the apple interface though.

grievoustim
    Free Member

haven’t got a desire – do have an iPhone 4

Not an objective comparison then – but the camera on the iphone is really very good, as is the video camera. Putting aside things like mega pixels, it takes really pretty good photos and videos (evan better when the large numbers of photo apps are considered as well). Good enough that I no longer feel the need to own a stand alone camera or video camera .

I miss having a proper optical zoom – but can live with this in exchange for having a “good enough for me” camera and video camera with me all the time

i think its been mentioned before – but apple phones do seem to suit people better who just want something easy to use. The android phones are very easy to use too I;m sure – But what I have read suggests they are not quite as easy to use straight out of the box. The trade off is that android is more “open” and flexible if you like to fiddle around with gadgets alot

This is more important to some people than others

brant
    Free Member

IA – no offence intended. Without your good work there would be NO time lapse option for the N8 at all!

Unzip the Qt and Qt mobility libraries, copy to phone (plug it in with usb), click all the .sis files in the file manager. (Or I can give you a link to a page with a pile of links to click on the phone to install them all in order)

Still don’t understand – bit scared 🙂

But thanks

IA

Heheh, no offence taken 🙂 I know it’s a bit scary to install, that’s why it’s not on general release!

Defy mentioned above is a good shout, should get better battery life than the desire HD too, though you get motoblur rather than sense UI, which aint great…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have an iPhone and would recommend anything else where the battery lasts an entire day when you actually use the phone occasionally

GrahamS

I have an iPhone and would recommend anything else where the battery lasts an entire day when you actually use the phone occasionally

Common problem with all smartphones. Big bright touch-screen, 3G, GPS, Bluetooth, frequent use etc all takes a heavy toll on batteries compared to a green-and-grey basic Nokia.

But the OP was asking about the iPhone 4, so it should be noted that the battery on that is pretty good. Easy sees me through a day. It bigger capacity than the one on the HTC, though there’s not that much in it (1420mAh compared to 1230mAh)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘IPhone 4 Or HTC Desire HD??’ is closed to new replies.