Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • IPhone 4 glass change?
  • hurbum
    Free Member

Has anyone attempted changing the glass on their IPhone 4?

I cracked mine and I’m currently trying to sell it. Tempted to try and change the glass (kit costs £4ish on ebay) and then sell it to Mazuma!

CountZero

Never done it, but I don’t think it’s that much different to a 3Gs, and I know someone who had the screen on her 3Gs replaced three times by a workmate after she flung the thing across the room waving her hands around!
    It’s a bit fiddly, but doable if you are careful. 😀

sugdenr
    Free Member

Not all glass is the same on ebay! Can I suggest that you see how much Mazuma will give you for it and email me in profile?

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve done the rear glass on my 4S – it was a doddle. Just make sure you get the right screwdriver – some iPhones need a tiny pentalobe driver. I suspect the front is a bit trickier.

v10
    Free Member

Rear glass is 2 screws and about 40 seconds work.

Front glass is a different matter – you basically have to take the phone apart from the back to the front. took me about 1.5 hours start to finish the first time have done it quite a bit quicker since. LOTS of very small screws to remove (some including even smaller annoying washers) all with different lengths.

Plenty of guides online just set aside a decent amount of time and draw a big diagram of the inside of the phone to put each screw on as you remove it so you know which goes where.

zilog6128

Never done it, but I don’t think it’s that much different to a 3Gs,

nope, it is VERY different to the 3GS. a lot more screws, more fiddly, more time consuming. Still doable with a bit of patience though.

Kato

I paid £90 to fix the smashed screen on my 4S. I sat and watched him do it too. Came to the conclusion that it was £90 well spent. No way do I fancy doing it myself

CountZero

nope, it is VERY different to the 3GS. a lot more screws, more fiddly, more time consuming. Still doable with a bit of patience though.

That’s why I take great care not to drop my phone! As you said, patience is indeed a virtue, and doing a large diagram of the inside and putting the bits in marked places makes lots of sense.
    Oddly enough, I don’t know anyone with a 4 who’s broken the screen; whether this is down to the stronger steel frame taking the impact, I don’t honestly know.
    Or maybe they’ve learned the hard way not to drop the bloody things! 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Are we talking front or rear?

Swelper
    Free Member

I think the 4/s is quite a delicate phone. Maybe in over cautious after gone through a few 3gs’s

Ewan
    Free Member

Yes agree. It’s a total PITA, you litterally have to take the whole thing apart to replace the screen. That said i managed it and i’m cack handed. Screen off ebay (get one that incldues the tools) and then follow the ifixit guide.

IIRC the 4S is easier.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘IPhone 4 glass change?’ is closed to new replies.