Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • iPhone 4 bike mount
  • warton
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience of good iPhone 4 bike mounts, mainly for road use, but also for MTB, so needs to be sturdy, safe and splashproof (doubt I’ll take it out in rain) I can’t find any that inspire confidence

saladdodger
    Free Member

there is a invention called a pocket which works well 😉

guess that would tick all the box’s

joemarshall
    Free Member

Do they do otter box bike mounts yet? I’d want something massive and sturdy like an otter box for a phone that costs £700 to replace.

Joe

warton
    Free Member

saladdodger, how will it work when I’m using the trails app and navigating a downloaded gpx route? please tell? or should I stop every 10 minutes, get it out of my pocket, unlock it, look at where I am, try to memorize the next 5 turns, put it back in my pocket and ride for another 10 minutes before stopping again? Should all Garmin users keep their garmins in their pockets too?
    If you’ve got nothing to say nothing.

joe, no otterbox as yet, no. people seem to think the Dahon is OK, waterproof,, seems quite well made, bracket looks a bit dodgy though…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

or should I stop every 10 minutes, get it out of my pocket, unlock it, look at where I am, try to memorize the next 5 turns,

TBH, yeah, that’s what I’d do if I had no choice. I wouldn’t use something that expensive strapped to my bars, especially as it’s not designed for it.
    I’m sure a cheap/used GPS of some sort would be far better and more suited to the task. Or a map holder… 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

one of my riding buds had put something together for exactly this purpose using a tupperware (or similar) with a clear lid, foam inserts to keep the phone steady a bunch of zip-ties and i think he uses an old bike lamp mount too. cracking idea – it is big enough for the additional battery he uses to extend the life long enough so that the screen is always on etc. and costs peanuts. keeps the phone nice and safe too for those ground interference moments.

warton
    Free Member

I’m sure a cheap/used GPS of some sort would be far better and more suited to the task. Or a map holder.

I have a mac at home and don’t want to dual boot. A map isn’t GPS.

stevemorg2

Theres a case /bike mount in my local Apple store – looks very much like the Otterbox mount I keep mine in but with some sort of handlebar fit – its £39.99

I can’t vouch for it but it may be worth a look

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’m sure a cheap/used GPS of some sort would be far better and more suited to the task. Or a map holder…

A cheap / used GPS will be way worse than a decent navigation app. No proper maps, rubbish screen, probably no satnav support for road sections etc. A satnav that is anywhere near as good as a decent mobile phone navigation app is super expensive (like in the £300+ range).

Maps are okay, but not the same thing either – slower and harder to navigate with.

Joe

geoffj

The biologic / dahon one, does look interesting. I can’t see it for sale anywhere in the UK yet though 🙁

http://store.thinkbiologic.com/bike-mount-for-iphone.html

saladdodger
    Free Member

As above if you want a GPS get a proper GPS

Wellys are waterproof but no use for scuba diving

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Strap a table/desk to your handlebars so you can put your phone on it for all to see.

saladdodger
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆

warton
    Free Member

saladdodger, there are apps for the iphone which are ‘proper’ GPS’s, and at a fraction of the cost of a ‘proper’ GPS why wouldn’t I use them?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Hmmmm reminds me of a guy in the early 90’s I met on the Ridgeway who was pushing his bike because of a puncture
    I asked
    ” are you ok”
    curt snotty reply
    “yes I am I have a mobile phone!!”
    In awe of this chap I replied
    “arn’t tyre levers and a patch more appropriate”
    for some reason he gave no reply

How much is a trail bounced IPHONE4 worth?????

geoffj

It makes a lot of sense to have it bar mounted assuming the protection is adequate. You could buy one of the Garmin, MM or SatMap unit with the OS mapping already on, but that would be an extra bit of kit to lug around.
    Sure, it might get damaged, but so could a £1,500 frame.

Hmmmm reminds me of a guy in the early 90’s I met on the Ridgeway who was pushing his bike because of a puncture
    I asked
    ” are you ok”
    curt snotty reply
    “yes I am I have a mobile phone!!”
    In awe of this chap I replied
    “arn’t tyre levers and a patch more appropriate”
    for some reason he gave no reply

What’s the connection? Just curious like 😉

geoffj

this is the one:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H2190ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0NA&mco=MjA3MjQ3ODk&s=topSellers

That’s the same as the Dahon one for the 3 / 3G. It does apparently fit the 4, but the catch is under pressure when its closed. 😕

gert
    Free Member

No experience with it, but I happened to see this one in a magazine:

nc17

I briefly had a Busch and Muller mount. It broke before I even used it, so I would not recommend that one

warton
    Free Member

gert, that NC-17 is the one I was thinking off, looks perfect, out in feb. cheers

steveo48
    Free Member

I use the biologic one, its for the 3g, but they have changed the shape to cater for the Iphone 4. It works very well and you can use the screen through the cover too. Brought mine from a bike shop in Caversham nr Reading, AW cycles. They have an online store.

Greybeard
    Free Member

That NC-17 doesn’t appear to enclose the phone at all – just leaves it exposed to water & mud? Also looks as if the phone is only held in the clamps by friction? Surely not!

steelfan
    Free Member

I have the Dahon Biologic 3g/s Iphone case and trust me its NOT waterproof. Its the same as the one in the apple store called the Tigra Case. Link won’t seem to work at the moment
    I wouldn’t use it for off road and certainly not in extreme wet weather.

drain

I’ve recently got the Tigra case and it worked great on the SPAM Winter Challenge last Sunday, but I’m not sure I’d be taking it on anything really technical. It got spattered with gloop and was fine, but I wouldn’t be too happy if it was raining hard.

I’ve mainly got it for road stuff and the nice easy local trails because the biking apps these days are a no brainer to buy at a fraction of the cost of a basic bike computer – no distance calibration faffing, does elevation, calories etc.

Plus the geeky fun of uploading to Google Earth etc and sharing routes. 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’m telling you, get a table and strap it to the bars and put your phone on it. Then everyone can see your amazing fashion accessory and will look dead jealous.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 4 bike mount’ is closed to new replies.