Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • iphone 3GS/4/4S
  • tails
    Free Member

So I’ve never owned a smart phone and was excited for the new iphone 5 😕

Other than the chip and camera, could I just buy a 3GS and stick IOS 5 on it?

What’s the battery life like?

Thanks and please no arguments about the usual boring s**t

Milkie
    Free Member

3GS with iOS5 will probably pretty slow and pretty bad battery life.. Only the 4S gets Siri (voice thingy). I would go for the iPhone4, but I have one already so will wait for iPhone5.

GrahamS

Agree that a 3GS will probably struggle with some of the features of IOS5 (or may not have access to them).

If you step up to the 4 then you get the Retina display which makes an enormous difference to nice the display is to read from etc. Plus you get a better camera and FaceTime.

The new 4S looks pretty compelling to me. I’m not going to upgrade from a 4 to a 4S, but if I was coming from a 3GS or nothing at all then I’d definitely go for it.

If you wait for a 5 then I suspect you’ll be waiting a year.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

iPhone 4s is meant to be cheaper than the normal 4 so you might as well buy it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

😆 sure

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTAyNTQzMjI

GrahamS

Nope. £499 for the 16GB model.

simon_g

If buying new, the extra £110 to go for a 4 is very much worth it. But then the extra £70 for a 4S is probably worth it too.

If you’re picking up a secondhand one from someone upgrading, the 3GS should do OK – but there’s not many people running ios5 yet on the 3GS to give feedback on how good (or otherwise) it is.

As ever, battery life is very dependant on how you use it. When mine is in “festival mode” (no 3G, no wifi, no bluetooth, no push mail, dim screen, etc) it’ll last a few days easily. With all that stuff on I’m charging it every day, it will normally be about 30-40% by bed.

momo

To buy outright the 4s is cheaper than the outgoing 4, 16Gb 4s is £499 whereas the 16Gb 4 was £519 iirc (might have been £539, but certainly wasn’t £499), they’re only listing the ‘new’ 8Gb iPhone 4 on the Apple store now, this was not available before yesterdays announcement.

nbt

US price – $199 for 16GB
    UK price – £499 for 16GB

**** ’em

momo

#
    nbt – Member

US price – $199 for 16GB
    UK price – £499 for 16GB

**** ’em
    Posted 1 minute ago # Report-Post

US price is based on a 24 month contract, not a SIM free phone!

ericemel
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with a 3gs

4 or 4s depending on your budget. My advice is always get the best and make it last as long as possible!

And I am probably selling my iphone 4 if you are itnerested (not locked to network) ericemel at yahoo dot com

footflaps

4 is a huge improvement over the 3GS which has rubbish battery life (I have both of them), so don’t bother with the 3GS.

Cougar

When IOS4 came out, they made it available for the older 3G and 3GS phones, however it battered the 3G to the point of being unusable.

It’s a reasonable guess that the same will be true of IOS5, that it’ll work on the iPhone 4 but assuming they even bother to try and getting working on the 3GS it’s going to be pretty crippled.

If you want an iPhone, I’d suggest waiting until the 4S has been out for a couple of weeks, and then trawling the second-hand markets that will be suddenly awash with the iPhone 4.

GrahamS

US price is based on a 24 month contract, not a SIM free phone!

Yep – we actually do quite well on our contract deals compared to the US. (They rarely get data included and suffer from pretty awful connections).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘iphone 3GS/4/4S’ is closed to new replies.