Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • iphone 3GS users – how bad is your battery?
  • BoardinBob

I've had my iphone for a couple of weeks now and the battery is just terrible. I'm led to believe battery life isn't great but I think mine is worse than the norm.

I've turned the screen brightness down, turned off location services, turned off 3G etc etc but still it's bad.

As long as you don't want to use it, it's fine, but as soon as I start watching videos or browsing the web it starts eating battery.

From a full charge, using the web, 1 minute of internet time = 1% of battery life. According to the stats on the Apple site you should get 5 hours of 3G browsing from a full charge.

Has anyone else had the same problem and is it the norm or does mine sound faulty? I'm assuming given that I've only had it for about 3 weeks, 02 should swap it without any hassle?

MS
    Free Member

Had one for a few weeks. I don't think the battery life is bad at all. I mean yes i may charge it every night compared to my old phone which i charged every 2-3 days.

However I use it as an phone, ipod, surf the web, check emails, facebook etc. Where my old phone was purely just a phone. If you just purely used it for a phone, so just call and text, see how long it lasts, i think you could easily get 2 days out of it.

Yes the battery is not great, but for how much you use it i think its pretty fair.

I dont think yours is fauly, usually the fors 10-15% of the battery goes down pretty quick but starts to slow down after that.

clubber
    Free Member

Battery is pretty rubbish. If I do a lot of browsing, I usually need to recharge by early evening. 3g is a lot worse than wifi mind.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Check you haven't got wi-fi switched on and that it's attempting to connect to your home network. It kills the battery in any phone

br
    Free Member

Buy a second battery?

This is what I did with my Nokia when I was going away for a week or so – saved taking a charger.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

The 3Gs is loads better than the 3G for battery, but as said above if you use it a lot it eats the battery.

my 3G i had to turn off the 3G function when i was not using it or it killed the battery in two hours. The 3Gs I can leave 3G signal on all day and it doesn't really affect the battery life. Location services seem to kill the battery fast, but I leave it off.

my 3Gs will give me a full day of calls, browsing, email etc but will need charging by evening.

You sound like you need one of the mobile charging options, either a rechargable pack that plugs into the port on the bottom and recharges you on the move, or a AA cell holder that does the same but obviously works off AA cells.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Mine normally lasts all day with 2 or 3 hours of surfing, music listening, txting etc..

Wifi doesn't kill the battery, but 3g will certainly curtail it and
    Push notification does put a drain the battery, so I set my email to check once an hour

There's an app called "Free Battery" that'll give you a more accurate idea of how much battery you have left at any time.

z1ppy

Mine is bad if I use it to play video or use GPS but browsing/general ipod/phone use it use around half the battery within a day.
    Don't see that plugging it into a charger (or dock if you want to be
    swish) at night is any sort of hassle though…

BoardinBob

Nah, I'm using maybe an hour, hour and a half of internet browsing and it's draining the battery completely.

Has to be faulty.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

3G easily last me all day, and charges in no time

glenh
    Free Member

100 mins of surfing time does sound a bit low, but apple's estimate of 5 hours seems pretty high to me.

My iphone 3G lasts a couple of days with 'normal' use (ie a bit of everything, but not hours of surfing or watching videos), but I can use up 20% or so in half an hour of heavy use, no problem.

I certainly wouldn't expect my laptop to last 5 hours when surfing or watching videos.

cp

i think for what the things they do and the size of them, that battery life is really very good!

DaddyPig
    Free Member

I would get an appointment at an apple shop and speak to one of their tech people. I had a very small mechanical fault with mine and they gave me a new one there and then. does sound like yours is faulty.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

my 3G i had to turn off the 3G function when i was not using it or it killed the battery in two hours.

Good god. I can get 4-5 hours browsing/games/use out mine and with 3g turned on permenantly (it always is) and occasional use, I get 2 days between charges…….

Oggles
    Free Member

It's been suggested, but definitely turn off push notifications, and make sure any email accounts aren't set to pull unless you really want them to be. Then it's apple store time!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘iphone 3GS users – how bad is your battery?’ is closed to new replies.