Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • iPad/tablet on the windscreen! WTF???
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Just seen a woman in a car with a bloody iPad/tablet device stuck bang in the middle of the screen, surely the old bill will take a dim view of that??

sugdenr
    Free Member

I was using it as a forward vision camera, m’lud?

nbt

using mapping to turn it into GPS?

fenred
    Free Member

New I should have gone 3G and not just cheapo wifi…Missed a trick there 😉

alfabus
    Free Member

so many people seem to think that the best place for a satnav is right in front of them, or they put it to their side, but right up in their eyeline (so in the middle of the screen).

Idiots!

Also, the ‘night mode’ seems to be a feature many have not grasped; seen plenty of people on the motorway with an enormously bright white/light coloured screen in front of their faces – how they can see anything else (like the road!) I do not know.

iPad is just the next step in this evolution of lunacy

Dave

GrahamS

iPad is just the next step in this evolution of lunacy

I give you, the Toyota Fun-Vii:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4k0i0c2LWw[/video]

sugdenr
    Free Member

so many people seem to think that the best place for a satnav is right in front of them, or they put it to their side, but right up in their eyeline (so in the middle of the screen).

Amazing how many people need their tomtom on to navigate their route round the complicated M25, on their usual commute…

GrahamS

Amazing how many people need their tomtom on to navigate their route round the complicated M25, on their usual commute…

Live traffic updates can be a useful thing even if you don’t need the nav part.

stumpy01

GrahamS – Member

Live traffic updates can be a useful thing even if you don’t need the nav part.

+1 on this. I have recently started using the traffic layer on Google Navigation on my phone, as the Black Cat roundabout on the A1 can be very hit & miss in terms of congestion. Sometimes the roads are quiet, but there’s a 30 min queue, other times the roads are stuffed, but Black Cat is clear.

Only been using it a couple of weeks, but it’s allowed me to save time having to sit in queues several times (and equally, stay on the main road when it’s clear, rather than take a diversion that is only quicker when the A1 is stuffed).

cheburashka
    Free Member

Seen one of these (Ipad on dash, playing a film) in North Manchester recently, dumbfounded. (edit, dodgy predictive text!) Skoda Fabia by any chance?

Gary_M
    Free Member

how they can see anything else (like the road!) I do not know.

Why do they need to see the road when they have sat nav?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It can also be useful/calming to have the ETA displayed.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It can also be useful/calming to have the ETA displayed.

Not if it’s telling you you’re going to be there 10 minutes after you should be.

IanMunro
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdAkKKxOvu4[/video]

loddrik
    Free Member

Idiots!

surely the ‘best’ position is wherever the individual feels most comfortable using the device? At least in the absence of any legal guidelines…

Don’t you just love a sweeping statement….

molgrips
    Free Member

So.. if you have a satnav underneath the rear view mirror – is that not going to create a big blind spot for seeing cyclists at junctions?

scaredypants

obscuring the windscreen at all is a bit silly IMO but, if you’re going to have it out of yr normal line of sight (ie not in front of the windscreen), massive 10in screen is probably a bonus in terms of safety

alfabus
    Free Member

surely the ‘best’ position is wherever the individual feels most comfortable using the device? At least in the absence of any legal guidelines…

From the highway code:

windscreens and windows MUST be kept clean and free from obstructions to vision

seems pretty clear to me, and speaking as a cyclist, I’d rather people didn’t create extra blind spots – especially blind spots that grab their attention with bright flashing lights and comedy voices.

My satnav mounts on my dash, out of my eyeline, but in my peripheral vision, so i can glance at it when it is safe to do so.

Dave

cheburashka
    Free Member

Bought the OH a satnav earlier this year, apparently if used in the States you’ll be bombarded with adverts on it. Suitable legal warnings in the handbook etc so that’s ok…

cupra
    Free Member

Also, the ‘night mode’ seems to be a feature many have not grasped; seen plenty of people on the motorway with an enormously bright white/light coloured screen in front of their faces – how they can see anything else (like the road!) I do not know.

Just like all the artics ploughing up and down the motorways at night with lcd tvs in the cab watching dvds….. I remember driving back up from manchester and my passenger seeing if he could guess the film they were watching.

wrightyson
    Free Member

This one was bang in the middle of the screen just above the dash in a zafira. It was just ridiculous! I find the scoop on the impreza bonnet a pain at times, god only knows what thats like in your vision!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘iPad/tablet on the windscreen! WTF???’ is closed to new replies.