Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 246 total)
  • iPads – WHY are they taking over the world?
  • Flaperon

I now have an iPad 4, which I was quite looking forward to getting.

Now I have it, well, it’s not actually that good.

* It’s heavy. REALLY heavy, and the sharp edges hurt if you try to hold in it one hand.

* The next time someone whinges about Android being buggy, I’m going to use the razor sharp edge to lop off their head. It’s a nightmare. In fact, it proved so difficult to re-arrange the icons on the screen I had to Google it to find out if I was doing it wrong. Apps open random links in the browser and leave the tabs open.

* The app store is useless. Beyond useless. Tapping on Install on the pop-up dialog doesn’t work, forcing you to delve deeper into the description to find a working install button.

On the plus side, it is fairly speedy, the games are better than Android, and I like the desktop background. But unfortunately I suspect I’ll be keeping my Nexus 7 for general usage and the iPad for work.

Glad I didn’t have to pay for it, or it would have gone back to the shop. Disappointed.

DezB
    Free Member

the sharp edges hurt if you try to hold in it one hand

footflaps

They appear to be the pocket camera of choice for tourists in Rome, which I just don’t understand as it isn’t a particularly good camera and they’re not exactly compact…..

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Love my iPad. It’s more or less replaced my desktop entirely. Can’t fault it. I paid for mine though, maybe I’m looking for the best in a piece of technology that I contributed nothing towards.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Now I have it, well, it’s not actually that good.

* It’s heavy. REALLY heavy, and the sharp edges hurt if you try to hold in it one hand.

I’ll do you a straight swap for my iPad mini. Which doesn’t.

Actually, no, I like my mini and that’s pretty much why I bought it in the first place. 🙂

luffy105
    Free Member

Love my iPad too. Can’t fault it really.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It isn’t a particularly good camera

It actually is. Not canon 5d good, but still good.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone’s is going to have much sympathy for someone moaning about what is, undoubtedly, a really nice bit of kit that they got for free.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It actually is. Not canon 5d good, but still good.

My iPhone 5 camera is actually astonishingly good. I use it more than my 650D.

Frosty wire by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s heavy. REALLY heavy,

Now I’m no Geoff Capes, but I rarely have trouble holding my iPad up.

Time to hit the weights?

Drac

. In fact, it proved so difficult to re-arrange the icons on the screen I had to Google it to find out if I was doing it wrong.

My 8 year old Daughter, at the time, worked that out in about an hour by herself. Her 5 year old sister took a few hours longer.

spectabilis
    Free Member

People are generally stupid and will buy into what they are told to.

Why is Xfactor etc so popular ?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not going to moan about the one mrs aracer got for free. The kids have lots of fun playing games on it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Apps open random links in the browser and leave the tabs open.

Eh? Can’t say I ever remember that happening. Odd.

kevin1911

I have an ipad 2 and must say I don’t really get why people are prepared to pay such a premium over an equivalent android tablet.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

So people don’t actually like using their iPads, but Apple say they are good so we are utterly brainwashed into believing they actually are good?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

My iPhone 5 camera is actually astonishingly good. I use it more than my 650D

And looks even better viewing it on my retina display 😉

piemonster

Troll alarm

Just to bite a little. The buy British campaigns failed to save the domestic car industry.

spectabilis
    Free Member

So people don’t actually like using their iPads, but Apple say they are good so we are utterly brainwashed into believing they actually are good?

I didn’t say people didn’t enjoy using them did I. I was talking about popularity stakes.
    I know plenty of people happy with them.. There are though much better products available for the money. And with all the proprietary software accessories etc it seems slightly strange to me .

Maybe it’s brand association? Particularly with the older folk… digital music player = iPod, tablet = iPad etc

I recently advised my Dad to steer clear. He didn’t take the advice……he now regrets it.

DezB
    Free Member

My iPhone 5 camera is actually astonishingly good

What’s that got to do with the price of fish?

GrahamS

I have an ipad 2 and must say I don’t really get why people are prepared to pay such a premium over an equivalent android tablet.

Because back hen the ipad 2 was current there wasn’t an Android equivalent?

(Not really convinced there is yet to be honest. Mate just ditched his Nexus for an ipad)

DezB
    Free Member

The one moan I have, that Flaperon doesn’t mention is how bad they are to type on…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

There are though much better products available for the money

Enlighten me.

Drac

Yeah not fantastic for that but not for found a touch screen that is.

There’s cheaper products out there and probably some as good but not sure there’s a better one.

My Dad asked about going to an Apple Mac and I advised him they’re very good but expensive so as he’s retied to save his money and stay with a PC. He didn’t listen to my advice and doesn’t regret it.

GrahamS

They are terrible to type on aren’t they?

(He says, typing a reply whilst standing in the kitchen…)

chvck
    Free Member

(Not really convinced there is yet to be honest. Mate just ditched his Nexus for an ipad)

Conversely I now always use my nexus 4 over my ipad unless I want to watch a film or something.

Edit: oh yeah, that’s one of the main reasons I use the nexus over the ipad. Having the swiping keyboard is sooooooo much better!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I ditched my iPad 3 for a nexus 7, much better IMO.

Drac

I reckon that’s all it comes down to Ivan, personal preference.

My younger Bro has a nexus and it’s very nice good piece of kit but I still prefer the iPad.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Troll alarm
    Just to bite a little. The buy British campaigns failed to save the domestic car industry.

Troll ? Really? I answered the only posed question didn’t I?

Oh n yes the British car industry deserved to die.

ampthill

My sister, gained a phd writing a C++ programme

and her husband who another academic who is more than happy to build a pc, programme etc

Have arrived at family events that saying that the haven’t yet got their holiday photos onto their ipad. Apparently drag and drop isn’t allowed?

Their next tablet will be Android

I have access to a nexus 7 from work. They are great photo viewers and ok web browsers. But they don’t do flash or java do they? I suppose you can print by e-mail?

but you ca’t use them as a phone can you? Which to me is odd.

I think that for me a 5 inch or 6 inch phone would be ideal. Then jump up in size to a laptop with real key board, printer drivers and proper photo editing software

GrahamS

Have arrived at family events that saying that the haven’t yet got their holiday photos onto their ipad. Apparently drag and drop isn’t allowed?

Plug SD card into Photo Connector kit, up pops Photos app showing you all the photos on card and asking which to import.

2 minute job that even a C++ programmer can manage. 😀

The main problem that folk have with iPads (and iPhones etc) is expecting them to work in the same odd ways as PCs.

CountZero

You poor delicate little flower.

* The next time someone whinges about Android being buggy, I’m going to use the razor sharp edge to lop off their head. It’s a nightmare. In fact, it proved so difficult to re-arrange the icons on the screen I had to Google it to find out if I was doing it wrong. Apps open random links in the browser and leave the tabs open.

Eh? If you struggle with a simple touch screen, you can easily do it using the list of screens that show in iTunes when you sync the iPad. Piece of piss, frankly, and only something you really need to do once.

* The app store is useless. Beyond useless. Tapping on Install on the pop-up dialog doesn’t work, forcing you to delve deeper into the description to find a working install button.

I truly fail to see what you’re having such a problem with; installing an app is simplicity itself, I can only imagine that you’re deliberately making it difficult so you’ve got something to snivel about.
    And I’m having no problems typing this, holding my pad one-handed as I’m sitting on the couch, the predictive spelling works beautifully 90+% of the time.

chvck
    Free Member

And I’m having no problems typing this, holding my pad one-handed as I’m sitting on the couch, the predictive spelling works beautifully 90+% of the time.

To be fair I have no problem typing with the ipad keyboard but the android one is vastly better for me.

Drac

My Daughters can do lessons if they want some. She’s 9 now but I’m sure for few sweets she is still be able to show them how to do it.

spectabilis
    Free Member

fervouredimage – Member
    There are though much better products available for the money
    Enlighten me.

Pretty much my original point… ironically 😉

labsey
    Free Member

Not a huge fan of the keyboard but other than that my iPad is a great device. Really simple. Never had the issues mentioned above.

piemonster

Pretty much my original point… ironically

Well if you’re referring to the kindle or nexus, then you’re wrong.

At least for my preferences your wrong. Someone else might be after something different, they might prefer something else. Preferred the mini to the Samsung offerings too.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ipad2 here:

More than acceptable for typing on.
    Premium feel, interface and in a construction sense.
    Easy to use interface.
    Brilliant screen.
    No sharp edges. Rubber surround included…
    Impressive battery life.
    Reasonable sound.
    FaceTime

On the other hand

Forced in to inputting payment details upon initiation.
    Expensive
    Grainy image producing camera.
    Un expandable memory.
    No USB input
    Apple specificity of connections could frustrate.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No USB input on Asus Nexus 7 either.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Pretty much my original point… ironically

Not really. I chose the iPad after trying out countless others. The others I tried fell short so please tell me what is conclusively better for the money?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 246 total)

The topic ‘iPads – WHY are they taking over the world?’ is closed to new replies.