Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • IPad, tablets etc what are they actually for?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

You’ll be glad of it when the DH World Champs are on and you don’t want to fire up the laptop.

DrJ

Great for travel – books, magazines, games, music, films.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I thought they were pointless until I bought one – its pretty much replaced my lap top for general internet use, buying and selling on eBay, banking etc.

I like the fact that I can take it round the house easily and that it’s alwasy ready to use. It was great when I was commuting loads by train being able to download TV and magazines.

parkesie
    Free Member

My ipad is for singletrack

DrJ

I like the fact that I can take it round the house to the bog easily

FTFY

ransos
    Free Member

But if you just want to find out the phone number for that restaurant, or check the weather for tomorrow’s ride, or any of those quick web based things that we do then the tablet (Nexus 7 here) is great.

I can do all that on my phone…

footflaps

send it up and drag it down, come christmas I should have my 100mb connection then I will be testing the cloud and trying video editing from up there too. Space will get cheaper, once you are done with the original files then dump them to archive at home or bin them. Keep the cloud stuff live.

Cloud storage is cheaper if you don’t need instant access. I store about 50Gb of stuff on the cloud, but it gets quite expensive if you want instant access to 100s of Gb and very expensive for Tbs….

CountZero

I’m sure it’s possible, but not that simple. iOS makes access to drives quite hard, you have to use Apps.

So? I fail to see any significant issue with that. As far as getting photos from a camera onto an iPad, you either stick the card into the Camera Kit card reader, or similar device, or, even better, get a Transcend wifi SDXC card in the camera, a 32Gb card is less than £50 from 7Dayshop these days, and you set the card up to download directly into the Transcend app. Then you can edit or delete as appropriate, then send to the NAS drive. Or Flickr, or whatever cloud storage you have set up.
    Easy peasy, really, certainly I find it so much easier than fannying around with my laptop; for a start I can do it sitting in a pub or cafe after being out all afternoon, and sit reading a book over a pint as well, so much easier than lugging six or seven pounds of 17″ laptop around in a bag.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I must have more time on my hands 🙂 I reckon it would take as long to fire up the laptop as find the tablet (and much faster for those with kids who have to engage in complex negotiations and substitutions to get it back) – I just throw Red Bull TV on the TV though…

Cletus

I have had various tablets (Lenovo Thinkpad, Blackberry Playbook, iPad3) but have recently bought a Chromebook (HP11) which has become my go to instant on Internet device.

It is light, boots quickly and input is a lot easier (for me). I also have a Galaxy Note 2 which covers my portable needs.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Everything. and more.

aracer
    Free Member

so much easier than lugging six or seven pounds of 17″ laptop around in a bag.

Not all laptops are 17″ or weigh six or seven lbs. The 11″ I’m typing on (with a proper keyboard) weighs about 3. Granted that’s still a lot more than an iPad, but it’s also a lot more powerful and versatile.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so much easier than lugging six or seven pounds of 17″ laptop around in a bag.

and if I had to try and do the proper work I do with a 10″ screen I’d have killed somebody by now! there are some nice light and powerful laptops out there too though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My iPad1 replaced my Mac Book, I just didn’t use it anymore. Definitely revolutionised the way I work/play as it where, very portable, instant on, great battery life. I have a Mac Mini as my desktop and an iPhone.

As per above it’s used for email, web browsing, document reading and mark-up (for work), lots of useful and fun aps, great for travel especially on flights – having my own movies, online videos, Skype etc. Yes you can do the same things on the phone but the screen is too small on the phone really.

OP you might like to consider an Apple TV – works great with iPhone and Mac’s – only £100 and perhaps don’t get the iPad if you’re not sure the other half will use it.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘IPad, tablets etc what are they actually for?’ is closed to new replies.