Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • iPad, restoring from backup…
  • DezB
    Free Member

Anyone done this?
    Story goes –
    Last week did the latest o/s update and said “Yes” to the backup option.
    A few days later, battery dies in the middle of Angry Birds (not sure if this event is related).
    Next time try to start up a game screen goes black, as if game is starting, then goes back to the desktop. Some apps will start, most (of the purchased ones) won’t.
    So I think, that’s ok, I doned a backup.
    Connect up. Select Restore, iTunes says do you want to restore from “Ipad Backup”. I say yes.
    Restores.
    iPad now has no apps or games.
    Go to appstore on iPad and it wants me to pay for them again, so go through iTunes on the PC and can download the purchased apps. But have to download all of them from scratch. Bit of a pain in the backside.

Where did I go wrong? (Apart from buying a shtitty Apple product in the first place, of course 😉 )

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Had you set up iTunes to sync downloads?

I recently had to restore from backup on my wife’s iPhone and it worked fine – all apps, pictures, music etc.

allthepies
    Free Member

Being an Apple product I’d expect a winged creature in the image of Steve Jobs to descend from the heavens, gently stroke the iPad and restore the data.

😉

DezB
    Free Member

Had you set up iTunes to sync downloads?

Nope. It’s only ever connected to a PC to install iTunes (or whatever you had to do to get the thing started.) Then just used to dl apps/games.

Should I have sync’ed as well as backed up?

DezB
    Free Member

[deleted]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Hmm I am not sure actually – I would have assumed a back-up would do what you wanted but I can’t be certain.

I kinda just set my wife’s phone to the default settings it asked me to create and it worked a treat.

Hmm, I think not – it’s all here….

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

I think you should have set it to sync as well.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yes, cheers for that.
    I think their help pages are bloody awful!

grantway
    Free Member

Just go and book yourself into see the Genius at your local store.

CountZero

Where did I go wrong? (Apart from buying a shtitty Apple product in the first place, of course )

I’ve had some issues with my PowerBook and my iPhone. Neither are ‘shitty Apple products’, the responsibility lies with the owner, precisely as it does in your case.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks for the help. Or should I say ‘typical STW response’. Surprised it took so long for one to turn up 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

Let’s put this another way. Cos the sooner people who respond in such a way realise what pricks they are coming across as, the sooner this forum gets back to being a decent place to have a discussion.
    If I went up to a bloke at work that I know knows about Apple stuff and asked him about backing up and restoring and he turned to me like some snooty 15 year old pc support engineer and said “The responsibility of the product lies with the owner” (can you picture that for a moment?). Well, what would I say to him? I’d call him a **** **** and walk off, wouldn’t I?
    The bit about shitty Apple products had a “Wink” after it yeah? And can you work out why I put the wink there?
    So cheers for posting anyway.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lol! And breaaatheeeee…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘iPad, restoring from backup…’ is closed to new replies.