Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • iPad question
  • batman11
    Free Member

Just got a new smart tv and was woundering if I can link my iPad up to it to watch the movies I have in it??? I’ve plugged it in and it only lets me see suff from my pictures on it so far, checked menus out and it just says no memory stick!!
    Any help would be great as I’ve got a few of the ne mountain bike films on there.
    Cheers Bats.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think you need an Apple TV for that (It’s not actually an actual TV, just a box of tricks for streaming stuff to the TV you already own) They’re £99.

http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/

andydicko
    Free Member

Adaptors are available via the Apple store

VGA Adaptor

johndoh
    Free Member

A colleague got an Apple TV over Christmas and loves it – can’t speak highly enough of it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Adaptors are available via the Apple store

VGA Adaptor

Read the reviews….

Gary_M
    Free Member

I recently bought an apple tv which was £82 on ebay brand new. Great bit of kitt for playing music through the tv and would be equally good at streaming movies.

batman11
    Free Member

Thx Peter was a where of the little box gizmo but just thought smart tv etc not so smart me thinks 😀
    Probably the way to go though as I want to rent movies etc as well blockbusters are becoming a pain in the rear and not carrying many in number have to wait a week plus some times to see a new one.
    Pay day soon so box it is.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I want to rent movies etc

Can’t you just rent them through netflix or lovefilm which should be available as apps on your tv?

zilog6128

If all you want to do is AirPlay onto your telly then a Raspberry Pi will do that (at considerably less cost than an Apple TV!)

if you want to rent/buy contents from iTunes/netflix/etc then ATV probably the way to go

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If all you want to do is AirPlay onto your telly then a Raspberry Pi will do that

Great. Just what I need!
    So I can just buy one, plug it in, and control it with my iPhone can I?

Or do I need to mess with it, download stuff to it, get cables etc?:

zilog6128

bare minimum: raspberry pi, PSU with cable (mini-usb), SD card

download Raspbmc (free) on your PC/mac and install to the SD card (very simple, many guides online)

boot rPi with SD card (takes a few minutes first time).
    Download (free) official XBMC Controller app to your iPhone/iPad and pair it with the rPi. Job done!! Airplay enabled on Raspbmc by default so just select it on your iPhone and you’ll see the vid on your telly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

bare minimum: raspberry pi, PSU with cable (mini-usb), SD card

download Raspbmc (free) on your PC/mac and install to the SD card (very simple, many guides online)

boot rPi with SD card (takes a few minutes first time).
    Download (free) official XBMC Controller app to your iPhone/iPad and pair it with the rPi. Job done!! Airplay enabled on Raspbmc by default so just select it on your iPhone and you’ll see the vid on your telly.

How much do those 3 things cost then?
    EDIT About £40.

See, a lot of that is gobbledygook to me. I can see it’s a cheap solution and that’s great for those that can be arsed, and know what they are doing, but I can’t and I don’t.
    If I was (And I’m not anyway) going to stream stuff to the TV I’d just go buy an Apple TV because it’s nice and simple and even an eejit like me can get Apple stuff to work in seconds. 🙂

DrP

Pete’s very selective on his ‘tinkering’:
    Bikes, Cars, Ladies clothing, Gardens – all fine to tinker with.

Consumer electronics – a big no-no….

DrP 😉

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Airplay enabled on Raspbmc by default so just select it on your iPhone and you’ll see the vid on your telly.

Does this work with iPlayer etc as well?

zilog6128

Does this work with iPlayer etc as well?

Not tried it but if you can Airplay from the iPlayer app then yes it will work.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Consumer electronics – a big no-no….

Yep. Don’t see why I should have to.
    Most IT geeks can’t build car engines either.
    🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘iPad question’ is closed to new replies.