Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • iPad or Laptop for Mrs MDB xmas pressie
  • mdb
    Free Member

I have left it late and i’m under pressure to get Mrs MDB her xmas pressie.

She has been talking about a laptop for a while – web use, email etc – but an iPad seems so much more exciting (and £££!).

What do the STW elves recommend?

rootes1

Get a nice Handbag instead.

BUT if youare getting a computer type thing then IPAD is very usable for web stuff, email etc

easygirl

Since getting my iPad no one in our house uses the laptop anymore

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

No flash so I couldn’t online bank etc I sold mine and got a laptop

geetee1972
    Free Member

Eventually, she will throw the iPad out of the window in frustration if she uses it for email. It might be OK with a dedicated keyboard, but I’ve not tried one so I can’t honestly say.

The iPad is great for some web browsing (but not anything with Flash in it) and other media (we have lots of bob the builder and fireman sam on ours to keep little entertained on long drives), but for email use, it’s only really a read and file tool, not a response tool.

mdb
    Free Member

Thanks gang. Mrs MDB does lots of ebay selling and online banking so sounds like a laptop would be the sensible choice.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bought my wife an iPad last year and she loves it, we have a netbook and she didn’t really use that much before the iPad. Never gets used now.

No flash so I couldn’t online bank etc

Not had an issue with online banking on the iPad/iPhone or abay selling/buying.

Never had a frustration with email either.

prezet
    Free Member

Not all banks rely on flash to use their online service. If mine did, I’d leave it straight away – Adobe products not exactly renowned for their security.

eBay will be fine on an iPad.

If you already have 1 computer in the house then I’d suggest an iPad. If you don’t then a laptop is probably the way to go.

prezet
    Free Member

And FWIW, flash is dying on it’s arse – the web community are actively moving away from being reliant on flash, and using new technology available in the HTML5 markup language.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Could I also possible suggest an android Tab 🙂 Love being a non-ipad user 😉 LOL

tragically1969
    Free Member

Eventually, she will throw the iPad out of the window in frustration if she uses it for email. It might be OK with a dedicated keyboard, but I’ve not tried one so I can’t honestly say.

The iPad is great for some web browsing (but not anything with Flash in it) and other media (we have lots of bob the builder and fireman sam on ours to keep little entertained on long drives), but for email use, it’s only really a read and file tool, not a response tool.

Weird, email is fine on the ipad.

As for flash, if i happend to find a site that uses soley\mainly flash then i would just close the browser on my PC and move on, too long to load and generally horrible navigation.

tails
    Free Member

11inch macbook air??

xcentric
    Free Member

iPad – great for consuming media – reading, watching, browsing all good. Crap at creating it – not great of remain, poor for tying anything decent, can’t really edit well on it etc. Cheaper though, and with 3G it’s better when around and about.

Laptop – fine for consuming and creating media. More ££, less good when really mobile.

Summary: if you have a laptop already get an iPad. If you don’t get a laptop. the 13″ Air is a good machine.

sambob
    Free Member

Ipads are fun. Just get the one you want the most.

fivespot
    Free Member

get her an iRon 😆

mdb
    Free Member

Thanks all, i went out at lunchtime and got her…..a laptop. Spent some time playing with an iPad and it was great but i want something to replace her clunky PC and be a bit of a workhorse. Probably iPad next year!

Have a good one.

t_i_m
    Free Member

iPad is fine for email, banking, ebay, general internet shopping etc.

Since we got an iPad, the laptop just gathers dust. Only to be booted up to do word processing and use specific apps like Spotify desktop (where iPad version lacks functionaility).
    If you already have a laptop or PC in the house, def get an iPad.

Edit: too slow…

wingnuts

IPad all the way. No issue using any of the 3 email accounts I have to access or with banking and ebay. My wife hated laptops and refused to hand my iPad back. I had to go and get another strangely enough.

mudpup
    Free Member

iPad

easygirl

Really can’t see want is wrong with e mail on iPad
    Typing is quick, no lag, all,accounts work perfectly
    Never had a problem sending images etc

aracer
    Free Member

iPad … Cheaper though, and with 3G it’s better when around and about.

Eh? Are you comparing with a Macbook? I was wondering if prices had come down given your comments, but even the cheapest version is significantly more than the (quality Lenovo) laptop I’m typing on – the one with built in 3G, 11″ form factor for portability, a proper quality keyboard for typing, matt screen, so better viewing than an iPad when outside, Flash (for when there’s no alternative – the best thing Steve Jobs ever did was help to kill that) etc.

Not that I have anything against tablets – I can see the point for some uses, it’s just that a (ultraportable) laptop is better at a lot of stuff, without many disadvantages.

mattjg
    Free Member

iPad.

If there are times when a ‘proper’ keyboard is needed, get a Zaggmate keyboard/case, it works well.

Don’t judge iPad 2 by Pad 1, the v2 form factor is significantly better. I had a 1 and barely used it. I have a 2 and use it every day.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Really can’t see want is wrong with e mail on iPad
    Typing is quick, no lag, all,accounts work perfectly
    Never had a problem sending images etc

If you’re using it for the same sort of email you’d use your phone for there’s nothing wrong with it.

glenh
    Free Member

My ipad keyboard lags. It’s pretty annoying.
    Also annoying is the spell correction and the tedious method of changing/copying text.

glenh
    Free Member

Oh and deleting doesn’t work on gmail if you have it set up via exchange in order to enable push.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘iPad or Laptop for Mrs MDB xmas pressie’ is closed to new replies.