Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Ipad or Android Tablet?
  • Cougar

That’s what everyone thinks before they own one.

We own one. My OH loves it. I don’t really get it.

Or, rather, I do, I just don’t think it’s for me. I understand all the benefits; but personally, it’s too big to be truly portable and yet lacking features to be a viable laptop replacement. It occupies a niche that, for me, doesn’t really exist.

Perhaps with a keyboard-case I might change my mind, but it all just seems a little trivial. You’ve got this killer piece of very expensive technology and the vast, vast majority of people I see with iPads are either watching movies or playing some shallow game that looks like it just escaped from Facebook. Which, y’know, is fine and all, but I’d like to see a bit more meat on the bone. Bugger ‘Angry Birds’, where’s World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, Halo, Skyrim? Why aren’t people editing spreadsheets and creating presentations on them? Surely this thing is capable of far much more.

are you still waiting for the laptop to… update Flash

To be fair though, I could get an identical user experience to the iPad simply by uninstalling Flash.

GrahamS

where’s World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto

Grand Theft Auto is pretty good on the iPad actually.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/software/3339154/grand-theft-auto-3-for-ipad-review/

Especially for £3

Bez

I have now had an iPad 2 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1. I would choose the Samsung every time

Blimey.

I come from the position of generally hating Apple stuff, and of loving Android (Froyo/Gingerbread) on my phones, and…

I bought an iPad, which was nice enough but eventually I got frustrated by the shoddy iOS5 app store and the usual Apple things like not talking to very much via Bluetooth and generally just being a bit Appley about everything.

So I sold it and bought a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

And whilst it was nice to be able to install different keyboards and tweak all sorts of things, it was the biggest pile of toilet I’d bought in ages. A horrid thing to use, worse in every way than the iPad. I’d expected that, but only to a marginal degree — but it had appallingly bad lag between touching the screen and it registering, which made everything infuriating and some things entirely unusable. Plus I could list a whole bunch of ways in which the ICS usability sucked (not helped by a couple of Samsung’s ‘enhancements’) and is worse than 2.*.

So I sent it back and bought an iPad again.

A TF300 would be an interesting proposition, almost solely from the point of view of using AIDE, but as a general tabletty sort of a tablet I’ve not seen anything come even close to the iPad.

Bez

Oh, and another thing is that iPlayer on iOS is a joy, whereas iPlayer on Android is a complete half-arsed Friday afternoon lemon of an implementation which is a dog to use and seems insistent on using the lowest-quality stream it can get its hands on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All change with Iplayer shortly.

For most tablets are a toy, some an expensive toy some a cheap one.

I’d probably use one if I had one but no way could I justify the price of an apple offering (even if I wanted one)

At home my phone does enough and the TV is powered by a PC anyway so it’s always on, most of our PC’s are either always on/in powersave/hibinate do no real lag on startup. As for updates these happen at night.

With the Nexus 7 in the market now I would expect an improvement in usability from android.

As for work it’s laptop all the way so no point in carrying a second device for playing with.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I don’t know if its the Jellybean upgrade, but my TF300 is now performing spot on. Touch screen is VERY resposnsive, no obvious lag at all.

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Ipad or Android Tablet?’ is closed to new replies.