Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Ipad or Android Tablet?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I know its been asked a load before (often by me)

I’m about to buy an Asus Transformer TF300 tablet. But for the same money I can get an Ipad3 16gb wifi and have a bit of cash left over for accessories.

I like the idea of being able to tweak Android apps, of easily being able to expand the memory and/or read off SD cards. And the keyboard makes sense for longer docs/emails to be written. And I must admit to being slightly anti-brand.

Using for web-surfing, viewing photos, skype, potentially watching videos, game-playing as my son gets a bit older, and in fact game-playing now on cbeebies website.

Begs the question, do I need a keyboard? Would I be better off with a Galaxy 10.1?

jam-bo

And I must admit to being slightly anti-brand.

WTF does this even mean.

buy the best tool for the job.

GrahamS

I must admit to being slightly anti-brand.

I’m not sure there is an “anti-brand” available here: Google or Apple…

Begs the question, do I need a keyboard?

If you do then I wouldn’t necessarily make it a deciding factor. iPad and Android tablets should all be compatible with Bluetooth keyboards.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

anti-brand: IMO too many people rave about Apple. For the same reason, I dislike silver German cars, football and modern housing estates.

But I realise they all have their purpose.

gonefishin
    Free Member

So in an attempt to avoid becoming a Fanboi, you are going to “stick it to the man” and become a Fandroid instead!

Why not just try them out and see which one you prefer? In all honesty I doubt that there is very much to choose between them at the top end.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Fandroid. Nice. 🙂

I have tried them both briefly. They both seem to work well, doing pretty much the same thing. Reading reviews, they come out kind of equal with their own strengths/weaknesses.

i was hoping someone on here might have used both sorts for a decent amount of time and be able to ofer advice…

wrecker
    Free Member

anti-brand: IMO too many people rave about Apple. For the same reason, I dislike silver German cars, football and modern housing estates.

You don’t like things just because other people do?
    You do realise that they’re probably right and you’re probably wrong don’t you?

GrahamS

Personally I think Android main attraction is it is cheap. Or can be at least.

If you’re planning to spend more than the cost of an iPad 3 on an Android tablet then I’d definitely say get the iPad.

But that’s just me. (Not particularly fanboi but do like my iPad)

renton
    Free Member

can you move android apps to an sd card??

if so how can I do it as a have a cheap chinese tablet running ics and would like to speed it up a bit !!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Get the iPad. I have a 64GB WiFi iPad 1, had it 3 years I think. Still going strong. Outstanding product. The new screen is extra-ordinary. You’ll be searching out biking videos to watch, I just got Strength in Numbers for £10, its £25 on DVD.

You can read SD cards (the camera ones I assume you mean) on the iPad with a small connector (£25). I would suggest you don’t spend the money on the magnetic cover, there are plenty others for half the price which work well (I have an incase)

Be warned your anti-brand views could be about to be blown out of the water. I started with a MacBook, then MacMini, iPad, iPhone now Apple TV – all over 7yrs – the products just work so well and they work really well together, that’s what sucks you in !

PS I like my German cars in darker colours

toby1

I based my decision purely on screen resolution not brandism; Google android phone and ipad3 user.

It’s great, buy one and you’ll not regret it, essentially if it is mostly to be used for bumming around the net then either will have a browser and do that easily.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

You do realise that they’re probably right and you’re probably wrong don’t you

Oh yes. But thats what makes life interesting. 🙂

hmm, veering towards the ipad now…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Quick question on the ipad.
    I’ve got all of my music copied onto a NAS, connected to my router. Most of it copied off CDs as WMA files from Windows media, with some mp3.
    Will I be able to play them on the ipad?

GrahamS

Dunno about the WMA files, but the mp3s yes.

Most NAS can serve as an iTunes Server.

e.g. http://web.qnap.com/pro_features_iTunes.asp

Cougar

TBH, there’s no ‘wrong’ choice at that level, you’re going to get something good whichever you go for. The biggest deciding factor here is really personal preference.

Not particularly fanboi

Do me a quaver, if we sliced you in half you’d say “APPLE” through the middle like a stick of Blackpool rock.

App2SD off the market.

hunta

I have an Asus Transformer Prime and love the fact you can dock it to a keyboard. Works brilliantly with the free Citrix app to remote on to my work PC too (I’d imagine there’s an iPad version, but the keyboard combo is very compelling).

mav12
    Free Member

settings applications manage applicatipns click on app it may have option to move to sd card my desire phone amd galaxy tab has

GrahamS

Do me a quaver, if we sliced you in half you’d say “APPLE” through the middle like a stick of Blackpool rock.

😀 you mistake me for a certain “Count”.

I work with PCs every day, with Windows and various flavours of *nix.
    Likewise I have a desktop PC and a couple of laptops at home.

My only Apple gadgets are an iPhone and recently an iPad.
    I just happen to like them is all and I’m happy to answer questions about them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ir_bandito – you might have to convert the files in iTunes which should be no problem if they are taken from CDs. Where there can be a problem is if you buy music on iTunes for Windows and try and transfer than to a Mac computer at a later stage.

On the keyboard point if you wish you can conenct the iPad to the Apple wireless keyboard. I have one but generally don’t bother as I can type fast enough with the iPad.

grantway
    Free Member

Be warned your anti-brand views could be about to be blown out of the water. I started with a MacBook, then MacMini, iPad, iPhone now Apple TV – all over 7yrs – the products just work so well and they work really well together, that’s what sucks you in !

Plus 1 never go back to the PC rubbish

TiRed

Anti-brand – Playbook 64GB. Thank me later.

stumpyjon

Thought about the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 2? It’s just come out at £ 300 for the 16GB version (WiFi, 3G version is more). Not as powerful as the iPad or original Galaxy tab but fine for most tablet use (at least we think so). Also has a micro SD card slot in the tablet so you can upgrade the memory, we stuck in a 32Gb card so it’s memory is now 48Gb. Can also buy an adaptor to plug a standard SD card in the front like the iPad.

Samsung are also going to be bringing out a new high spec 10.1 tab later in the year to compete head on with the iPad.

CountZero

you mistake me for a certain “Count”.

Nice to be recognised.
    FWIW, and I’ve said this countless times, (see what I did there?), I’ve been using Mac computers since before 90-odd percent of the population even knew Apple even existed. It was my job to use them, and they were boring beige boxes that sat on the floor getting dusty just like every other beige box. What set Macs apart, and what made me love them, was the OS.
    I moved from PC’s running DOS, and an incredibly primitive version of Windows, which everyone ought to know was copied from the Mac OS, which was based in turn on an IBM GUI that they had abandoned. Moving to a proper GUI was a revelation, ‘cos I’m no computer genius, and as someone working in a design-based industry, and as someone who has an in-built bias towards nicely designed stuff, it made my life so much easier finding my way around a computer, especially as I was having to learn how to use a scanner, (£65,000-worth of Crosfield drum scanner), it’s Mac interface, Photoshop, Illustrator, and QuarkXpress as well. A clean, well designed OS made the transition so much easier.
    When the first iMacs came out, and the first sculpted desktop ‘towers’, they were just as much a revelation; for the first time, you could have a computer that was more than an ugly appliance, but something you felt you could have on show.
    Just like Sony, whose products I’ve bought more of, over the years than I have Apple, I can assure you, for precisely the same reason; quality manufacture and clean, uncluttered design.
    I’m not one of the ‘sheeple’, as some idiots, who are just as biased towards Android products, like to call Apple fans, I buy stuff that does a particular job, does it well, and looks good at the same time.
    My first iPod was a Nano, 5th generation, my first proper iPod an 80Gb Video 6th gen, my first computer a 17″ PowerBook G3, now eight years old, bought with redundancy money, and only replaced last August with a Mac Mini, just to be able to stream music and back up photos, and that was an end of line model.
    I ignored the iPhone, because it didn’t do what I wanted; it had no GPS, so I waited and got a 3G when an upgrade was available, and upgraded that to a 4G.
    If someone asks me what I’d recommend, then obviously Apple products, not because I’m obsessed with Apple stuff, but because they are what I use, every day, and enjoy using, and have a large investment in the software that runs on them, like ebook readers, music, and mapping apps, so why the **** would I have any interest in advocating the use of products that I have no experience of, and no interest in using because I would have to re-invest in a whole new app ecology.
    I’m not the sort of person who gets pleasure out of spending hours pissing around with something like a phone or a tablet just to make it do something that an off the shelf app does just as well, I have neither knowledge or patience, I’d rather be reading a book or listening to music, or out on my bike, taking photos or down the pub!
    Just because I give an opinion when it’s asked for, based on my experience of certain products, certain people now seem to take pleasure in making me out an obsessive, and it got real old, real quick.
    Now give it a ****ing rest, why don’t you.

motox2k
    Free Member

i have an asus transformer, far far better than the icarnt unless you pay more via itunes

GrahamS

Nice to be recognised.

tl;dr – I assume it was gushing?

😉

Cougar

certain people now seem to take pleasure in making me out an obsessive

I’m sure a multi-screen monologue will have set the record straight there.

tl;dr – I assume it was gushing?

The Cliff notes are “I really like Apple but I’m exempt from being classed as a fanboi because I was using Apple products back when they’d just copied their UI from Xerox, and there was one product I didn’t run out and buy once.”

Joking aside; to be fair, I can get behind that. There’s a difference between being a fan of something because it’s a good product (or service, TV series, band, etc etc) and because it’s cool and trendy and everyone else is doing it.

Where I start to despair is when there’s no thought behind the advice. It’s like Tourette’s, you start any thread about technology and the same people come out with the same unhelpful bollards every time. Ask a question about Windows and within half a dozen edits someone will be along going “format it and install Linux.” I’m not installing Linux, it appears to cause your brain to stop working. It’s unhelpful and it’s getting really, really bloody tedious now.

I’m all for iPhones, or iPads, or Linux, or Macs, if it’s the right tool for the job or the right solution for the individual. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t.

Russell96

I’ve got a Transformer, which gets used for work taking notes and typing stuff up whilst travelling on the train, love the flexibility with memory slots and USB ports and of course the battery life when docked. However if it is for just around the home mainly as a consumption device how about the Nexus 7? Mine arrived today and its v/well made and pretty quick, to early to tell on battery life thou, will save you a lot of money over the Prime and would be ideal for smaller hands.

Cougar

(can’t edit; just to be clear, I’m not singling out CZ in that last post, it’s a generalising grump and I don’t know offhand if my complaint there even applies to him at all)

cookeaa

Held a mates nexus 7 today and had a quick play.
    Seems pretty good, think I will be getting one myself…

ipad just seems too pricey

chomp
    Free Member

got a work iPad that I’ve been using for a year or so and really like it. Build quality is top notch, and the software is hard to fault.

however I got a nexus 7 delivered today and already I think it’s going to get more use, purely as it’s easier to handle and will do everything that the iPad does (just about)

If money was no option and I had to have one I’d prob go with the iPad, however it’s not and thus why I’ve got myself a Nexus 7 and don’t think I’ll be disappointed

If it was for more than just a consumption device then the iPad would probably edge it

GrahamS

The Nexus 7 looks like a great tablet for the money. Good write up on Teh Grauniad Tech blog here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/jul/13/google-nexus-7-review

One thing that puts me off is the 16:9 screen ratio. Great for watching movies, but not so great for reading magazines, books, web pages etc in portrait format. Definitely prefer a more paper-sized 4:3 ratio.
    (And of course it doesn’t come close to the resolution of the iPad)

Plus it seems to be missing two major Android selling points: HDMI-out and expandable memory.

But for the money, it’s a nice bit of kit.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I gots me Nexus 7 this ere morning..

It’s a trippppllllleeee whoooooosh.

SO far I’ve turned it on and just flicked through it, but later I will be mostly getting swipe finger…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just realised if I get rid of the dying Vista laptop, I won’t be able to use my HP all-in-one printer to scan. Unless I upgrade my other laptop from XP64 to Win7. Arshe.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Even I, biggest Apple critic ever, have been sucked into the iSheep fold! It’s a one way street, but I am considering ‘moonlighting’ with an Android phone.

GrahamS

Seems the Nexus 7 is a good choice over an iPad if you intend dropping them both onto concrete or into the bath. Which is.. err.. good to know.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/07/how-much-abuse-can-googles-nexus-7-tablet-withstand/

I like the intro: “The Google Nexus 7 tablet is arguably the first Android tablet that real human beings can enjoy and will want to use.” 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

I forgot to mention, it’s the myriad of free apps and accessories you can get for Apple products that make them considerably more attractive than the competition.

What swayed me was exclusive compatibility with my navigation hardware on my boat. Since then I have bought a Sonos system because of the functionality the iPad and iPhone brings to that system.

Just about all firms seem to be writing iPhone and iPad apps. Android is catching up, but as the mainstream all buy Apple, the commercial choice for companies is to focus on Apple compatible apps first.

The worst thing about owning Apple products is iTunes, it is crxp!!

GrahamS

The worst thing about owning Apple products is iTunes, it is crxp!!

Everyone says this, but to be honest I’ve never had any major issues with it. It’s starts a few more background processes than I’d like on my PC but other than that it’s been fine.

Having said that, I hardly use it these days. It’s not really needed any more is it?

ftr1873
    Free Member

Not long bought a new type iPad. I did have a look into the Android competition but the iPad seemed to be a bit smoother and that screen is hard to ignore. My digital Singletrack copies look really good on it!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just taken the plunge. Found the Transformer Prime (with the super-IPS screen) for not much more than the TF300, so just ordered it.

GrahamS

Transformer Prime

Is it the one with the trailer that transforms into a Combat Deck?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Ipad or Android Tablet?’ is closed to new replies.