Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • ipad emails won't send stay in outbox ..possible reasons /solutions ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Hi
    i’m not familiar with apple products and only use webmail ( yahoo ) but was asked to help an elderly lady who was trying to send an email but with no success. The internet connection is fine and the address is correct as i sent it through my own mail when i got home.
    basically she is with eclipse as her provider and has an eclipse mail address.
    any mail trying to be sent just results in the old spinning circle type thing accompanied by “sending” but it never goes and always ends up in the outbox.
    Occasionally a message comes up something about servers and settings but i’m lost with it and would like to help her.
    Any suggestions/solutions to sort would be much appreciated….would have called eclipse but the xxxxers charge a premium rate for support so was relucant before asking on here
    thanks in advance
    Bill

Sandwich

The content of the error message needs to be given exactly if we are to stand any chance of fixing the problem.

If Eclipse have a website then find the page with their mail settings for Mail App and check those against the ones in Mail preferences on the Mac. Pay particular attention to the ports required for SMTP and IMAP send/receive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive had this in the past.

i cant figure out why.

But removing the account from the ipad and re inputting the info cures it for a few months.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zilog6128

ive had this in the past.

i cant figure out why.

But removing the account from the ipad and re inputting the info cures it for a few months.Yes, I’ve had this occasionally with gmail on my iPad in the past when it was set up differently (i.e. before iOS Mail had a specific “gmail” option). Not sure why it would happen with eclipse, worth a shot though (of course you’d need the login details off her to re-enter them which she may not know)

This is assuming it used to work… if it’s NEVER worked, then obviously the login details are simply incorrect.

EDIT: also how long has this been going on for? Eclipse were taken over a while back and I believe no longer offer home services to new customers. No idea on what’s happening for existing ones, is it possible they’re not providing her with an email service anymore or some login settings, etc, have changed?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Almost certainly an email account setup issue on the iPad. Apple provides “shortcuts” for GMAIL, Yahoo, AOL etc but as she is using a lesser known provider it’s possible (likely) the account was not setup correctly (echange server ?)

I would guess eclispe has a webpage to help iPad/iPhone setup – I’d look that up and either try and edit account details or delete and re-enter the account (settings/mail/accounts)

EDI5: based on above re eclipse I would be tempted to setup a new GMAIL account for her also

Cougar

I don’t know anything about iPads really, but I do know a bit about email.

You can’t just randomly send email through any old email server. This is a security feature – it’s too easy to launder spam otherwise. So one of two things needs to happen.

Either, you need to use the ISP’s email server, or if you’re using your mail provider’s server then you need to authenticate. So for example, if your email provider is Gmail and your ISP is BT, then typically you’d use Gmail’s server for inbound email (because that’s where your mail is stored) but you’d use BT’s server for outbound mail. If instead you want to use Gmail’s server, then you’d need to tick the ‘requires authentication’ box and supply a username / password.

An added complication is that a lot of providers now require a secure connection. You need to look up the SMTP settings / requirements for whichever provider you’re using.

Or just use webmail. I can’t remember the last time I used a fat client outside of work.

Cougar

Just spotted that the email and ISP providers is the same. So point stands, you need to look up their SMTP settings on their website and set up the account accordingly.

I’ll caveat this by saying, ISP email is generally a bad idea, because if you ever move providers you’ll lose the address. This is another reason why you’re better off with a webmail account (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo and countless others).

GrahamS

Sounds like the outbound server isn’t set correctly.

Look in Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->[Account]->Outgoing Mail Server and check the details are correct.

stealthcat

Check whether authentication is enabled on the outgoing mail server. I had this issue on various iPhones, and putting on authentication and a password seems to have cured it on Plusnet.

slowoldman
    kaiser
    Free Member

thanks to all for the input. She rarely uses it but was OK until recently. may leave it for her relatives who visit occasionally to sort as although i’m keen to help/investigate as with so many things sometimes you wish you’d never got involved in other peoples affairs .

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have had this several times. Even when you check passwords in SMTP settings its still doesn’t work,

boxelder

Has she run recent software updates?

Tinners

I’ve had it and my wife the same. Can receive email but not send. Only applies to Apple devices in this house (you know, the ones that “just work”
    It’s to do with the outbound mail server settings. BT guided me through the fix. Delete the account then add account again. Then checking outbound SMTP (or something) was port 465 and SSL selected. I wasn’t sure if it was an Apple or BT problem but only seemed to affect iPads and iPhones in this house.
    Not been a great week for Apple in this house if so.

Tinners

Settings -> Mail -> Accounts -> select the account affected and choose “delete account”. Then you need to add the account again.
    Settings -> Mail -> Accounts -> Add account -> then in my case selecting “other” then filling in your email address and password etc.
    Then when account set up, go through that trail to get back to the account then click on “Outgoing mail server” -> SMTP -> make sure the accound has SSL ticked and Server port 465. Host name (for BT) was mail.btinternet.com
    Not sure if this just applies to BT or other mail but that’s roughly what I did. Don’t understand any of it but just did what was suggested.
    Hope that’s useful

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ipad emails won't send stay in outbox ..possible reasons /solutions ?’ is closed to new replies.